Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Wasp nest
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I found what i think was the beginnings of a wasps nest in the shed. Grey, about the size of an apple, and a bit like a ‘love spoon’ with on spherical structure within another, hanging from the roof. There were no wasps in it. So i knocked it down and binned it. Then a fat wasp kept coming back to the spot. does anyone know if this was the start of a colony or what or what? Also how do i make the shed less attractive to nesting wasps?

iDave
    Free Member

what’s wrong with wasps? I have a nest in my shed, lovely bit of architecture it is…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

They can be awfully stingy

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yeah I used to think that…….until one of the spiteful feckers stung me for no reason at all.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

The same might be said of you!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nuke it from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Nah, I’ve always got a reason.

emsz
    Free Member

Poor fat wasp 🙁

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’ve already got rid of it, but what would it have developed into? It didn’t look like the huge wasp nests I’ve seen, structurally it seemed very different

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I always thought wasps had wasp-like figures 😕

sweepy
    Free Member

I heard that wasps wont nest where there is already a nest. I had one a few years ago, we left each other alone, then they left. The nest remains and ive never had another lot.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

was yours one of these funny apple type nests? how many wasps in it?

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Creosote or diesel sprayed in the area will work.

I’ve had major wasp traumas in my current house (it’s in Stevenage so even the wasps carry knives).

They will return to an area where they can ‘smell’ a nest. Move the nest you knocked down outside and likely is they’ll follow it. Let them get settled and the BURN them (on the basis that nuking the from orbit, whilst effective, isn’t an option for most of us.)

sweepy
    Free Member

Its about the size of a melon, there was a good few wasps but they’re not easy to count 😀
    If you can coexist with the next one give it a try, if not spray it with killer then leave it where it is. To be fair, I might not have been so tolerant if I didnt have a big shed.

sweepy
    Free Member

A quick google and you can actually buy fake wasp nests to deter new ones

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

yeah, can’t live with them. Young kids are kept in use the shed

sweepy
    Free Member

Quite literally could be a kiddies face then 😀

samuri
    Free Member

We had one in the house eaves. A nice man from the council got rid of it for free after I’d recieved a number of extortionate quotes from blokes claiming to be pest exterminators.

Anyway, this chap just sprayed some stuff in there and told us to stay out of the house for a few hours just in case. Took him all of 2 minutes. Never saw another wasp.

My pet wasps seem to like both eating my shed and nesting inside it, although the nests are generally small, satsuma sized.

The trouble is, my little stripey friends don’t seem to like me going anywhere near my own shed and appear rather pissed off whenever I show up.

I **** hate wasps if the truth be known – they are the work of the devil I tell thee. I’m sure they bring some benefit to the ecosystem, although I don’t know exactly what – however I’d take a wild stab that we’d all still manage to breathe oxygen without the nasty little buggers!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Wasp nest’ is closed to new replies.