Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Washington dc.
  • sargey

Will be in the US next month on the east coast about a 4 hour drive from Washington.
    Is it worth a couple of days seeing the sights and landmarks etc.

Cheers.

wwaswas

yes.

dovebiker

I’d probably head down to Virginia, or the Carolinas rather than DC – I find most US cities downtown a bit ‘meh’

SaxonRider

Where will you be, specifically? I mean, by next month, DC may not even exist.

dovebiker

..or Skyline Drive along the Blue Ridge Mountains?

wwaswas

Skyline Drive along the Blue Ridge Mountains?

It’s a good drive but you have to drop quite a way down from it to get to anything like civilisation and I’m not sure what the weather would be like in february?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I enjoyed a couple of days there by myself around a work engagement. It was winter so not a lot of things going on. There is a stack of museums on the National Mall but other than that it’s a modern American city so as other have said downtown is pretty ‘meh’. Some of the older districts have a bit of character and some decent bars and cafes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thunder Burger, Georgetown.

You’re welcome.

Jason
    Free Member

Went there with work a couple of years ago, I had been in New York for the week before and it was a nice contrast to the hustle of NYC.

The Capital Building is well worth a visit, we had been booked some tickets in advance that gave access to some of the areas you can’t normally see. Some one else had arranged it for me, so not sure how easy it is too sort out. If it is a nice day a walk around all the memorials is fairly interesting. As mentioned above also a lot of museum to see. I remember George Town being a nice place to go in the evenings.

STL

Coppis on U Street in Logan Circle (near the zoo) has amazing Italian food, the decor is neat too.

The museums are excellent in DC – lots to see and do.

You can wander about in the House and Senate buildings for free.

Recommend the night bus tour too.

sargey

Thanks for the replies guy’s, looks like it’s a yes then.

tonyg2003

As others have said. It’s fun to walk around the sights of Capital Hill, monuments, museums etc… I wouldn’t be trying to drive too far in Feb in that part of the US unless there is a good forecast. They can get lots of snow in DC.

T1000
    Free Member

If your limited on time then the Museum of Native American history and aerospace are the pick of the bunch

Riksbar

See who’s playing the 9:30 club on U street, also the Air and Space Museum on the Mall and the new one out at Dulles. If you’re in Pennsylvania, skiing at White Tail?

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Well worth a visit, plenty of landmarks and museums along the Mall, White House, Arlington Cemetry etc., etc.
    You’ll do a lot of walking and won’t scratch the surface.
    Georgetown great in the evening.

big_scot_nanny

Now, bearing in mind this was about 37 years ago when I was 5, but the DC Air and Space Musuem was epic. Gotta be worth a trip.

TheWrongTrousers

I like Washington, in fact planning a trip there myself in the Spring.
    All of these are worth a visit : Capitol Building, Air and Space Museum (two sites, one in the Mall near the Capitol and the other out by Dulles airport), Lincoln Memorial, Arlington Cemetery, walk around Georgetown, Redskins game, ice hockey game (Capitals ?), Giant statue out on Haynes Point, Natural History Museum, Washington monument/Roosevelt Memorial/Vietnam Memorial), White House.
    It’s a nice town.

TheWrongTrousers

p.s. Hire a bike to get to Haynes Point etc.

TiRed

Some good bike shops in Georgetown. Go and see the Wright brothers bicycle in the Air and Space museum on the Mall. I rode around the city on my Brompton, including Arlington cemetery.

hatter

Yeah, Georgetown is lovely, had a little pipedream to move there for a while.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Washington dc.’ is closed to new replies.