Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Washing waterproof kit
  • DickBarton

I’m a lazy bugger when it comes to washing my waterproof riding kit – outer layer so it tends to get manky and wet…I let it dry but it remains manky looking. Rest of my riding kit gets washed as soon as it gets taken off me.

So, how best to wash it? Throw it all in at 30c with some Halo?

First wash isn’t going to destroy the proofing but I reckon I should reproof it anyway…jacket is a 18 months and trousers are probably 4 years (told you I was a lazy bugger!)

So how best to reproof them as well?

Ta.

z1ppy

As above I use Nikwax: I run a hot wash thru to get rid of detergents built up inside (just the hot wash, no need for a full run), wash two items @ 30c with tech wash to get the crap off, straight away back in for a 30c proofing wash.

This isn’t something I do often, more end of season.. they say mud degrades the proofing but not been let down yet by my dirty (waterproof) kit 😯

nickc

non biological washing powder. (don’t use too much in your washing machine as it foams up more more than tabs. Then one of the re-proofers in a hand wash afterwards. Let them air dry.

(this will just recover the DWR coating on the outer layer.)

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Comfort pure conditioner apparently works well as a reproof – Leeds uni did a study

jam-bo

I just soak mine in the bath in clean water for an hour or so. Hand wash them without detergent and then a good rinse. Given they are going to get covered in mud again it does enough.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Halo @ 30c, the same as everything else.

blairc70
    Free Member

Pure soap flakes / liquid, £2.50 for 700ml at wilkos does exactly the same as tech wash. Reproof with nikwax grangers every couple of months.

superfli
    Free Member

I dont wash any of my waterproof stuff. Just hose/brush down and leave it to drip dry.

jimw
    Free Member

If the garment label says OK to iron, it is worth ironing the outside at low setting as this is meant to help the DWR

DickBarton

I’m scared to iron anything – my washing skills are pretty basic – everything in at a 40C wash – I don’t split colours…so 30C is a new revelation. Ironing – everything is ironed at hottest setting with steam…so this cool idea if alien to me and I’d be worried I put a iron print clean through the garments!

Got the kit washed with Halo and I’ve now got some Nikwax so off to wash the jacket and trousers in that and let it drip dry.

tryert
    Free Member

After using goretex jackets for riding and golf for many years and just giving them the occasional wash on medium heat I found out that they should be bunged in the tumble drier from time to time to reactivate their waterproofing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Washing waterproof kit’ is closed to new replies.