Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Washing up.
  • RustySpanner

Do you:

a) Do it after you’ve eaten?
    b) Do it in the morning?
    c) Leave it ’till your kitchen stinks and you’ve no more room left to pile stuff on the surfaces?

Just out of interest. 😐

Drac

They go in the dishwahser when it’s full it gets switched on.

wwaswas

I’ll ask the housekeeper to have a word with the cook and get an answer for you.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bearnecessities

Really?!!

RustySpanner

Prompted by a visit to a house where I had trouble finding the door out of the kitchen, due to the fecklesness of the inhabitants.

Scumbags. 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

a) after I’ve got sick of c), but then I soon revert back to c)
    I blame entropy.

MrSparkle

or

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My pet hate. I detest washing up. I usually leave it until I run out of plates and cutlery before breaking out the fairy liquid.

loddrik
    Free Member

Before the wife gets home from work or I get a bollocking. I’d rather do the dishes than load and then unload the dishwasher which I hardly ever use.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

We have a dishwasher so goes on daily, but pots etc usually that night, unless it’s late or we’re very tired then it gets done the next day at the latest.

A friend of mine who is a high end kitchen fitter has installed 2 dishwashers in some houses, you never have to empty them, use the clean plates from one as you go and put them into the other one when dirty, wash and repeat. Lazy huh.

Yak

A, for whatever can’t/ doesn’t fit in the dishwasher.

B and C will only lead to ………… mice!

Drac

Really?!!

Did you get your man bag?

chambord
    Free Member

I was hoping this was going to be a thread about techniques for washing up. I thought it was obvious, glasses first then cleanest–>dirtiest, but living with other people has shown that some people prefer a ‘throw everything in the sink’ approach. I’ve even seen people fill the sink with water while dirty plates/pots have been in it. Incredible.

As for the original question:

I normally do (a) or

d) When I get home from work and before cooking.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Ours goes on when its full – Why can’t women load dishwashers? I can literally get 4 times the stuff in the dishwasher than my wife. They don’t seem to struggle fitting 100 pairs of shoes into a small wardrobe.

patriotpro
    Free Member

After eating otherwise it gets left for about 3 week.

Got a dishwasher, but i still prefer to just wash em in sink with my flat cap on.

bearnecessities

Did you get your man bag?

Good point.

Wash up during cooking, finish post noshing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lack of dishwasher was the single most hated thing about renting houses for me.

First thing i bought when we got our house was a dishwasher. Id rather do clothes by hand than wash dishes !

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

c) Leave it ’till your kitchen stinks and you’ve no more room left to pile stuff on the surfaces?

As a kind of dirty protest against the Missus. In her books; if I’ve cooked, it’s my mess and therefore I must wash up, if she’s cooked then she’s done me a favour, and therefore I have to wash up.

I also have to make breakfast every day as she’s “not a morning person”, unfortunately the reverse doesn’t hold true that I can bunk off the rest of the housework by not beuing an evening person (I actualy am, but I’d rather spend them on my bike).

I hate dishwahsers, they’re not big enough to take an entire load of washing up (including pots and pans) if you’ve done anything more than a microwave meal, but too big to fill with just plates etc. So it ends up taking 3 days to fill with plates and get’s put on because it’s begun to stink, and in the meantime I’ve had to wash up every night anyway to do the pans, chopping boards etc! And don’t get me started on people who wash knives in the dishwasher…….

kcal

dishwasher. runs about once a day; more if we have visitors.

but… some stuff (wooden handled cutlery, non D/W safe crockery, pans) will get washed up after every meal; breakfast, lunch, tea.

The two dishwashers idea isn’t new to me, heard it espoused by a colleague about 20 years ago! saves putting stuff away only to get them back out again, though would need bigger kitchen!

Oh and seconded on the D/W packing, wife will chuck stuff in any old fashion with result that it’s ‘full’ when in fact it’s half empty and I have to re-pack it efficiently .. sheesh.

Junkyard
    Free Member

a and c

I seem to have not developed a cast iron rule

I got into the habit of c as I lived on a boat and water was precious so you had to have enough to justify it

These days more a and a dishwasher

_tom_
    Free Member

Clean up any pans etc straight after I’ve eaten and put the plates in the dishwasher.

DezB
    Free Member

a) Do it after you’ve eaten? Sometimes
    b) Do it in the morning? Other times

I hate not having a dishwasher.

Northwind

I’m lazy (and not that half-assed lazy that most people are, you’ve got to put a bit of effort into laziness) so I do the path of least resistance. Pots and that, soak then clean before they go too crusty. Greasy stuff or things where there’s lumps that’ll end up all manky in the water, clean fairly quick. everything else can sit in a pile until I run out of counter.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Your dishwashers too small then tinas or your cooking three courses every day.

As long as its a full cabinat sized one itll take a family of threes daily dishes no issues. If packed right. And we more often than not cook from scratch. The only thing the dishwasher struggles with is roast dishes – they need soaked first.

half size cabinet ones – pathetic.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Mostly a) after eating. Although I am lazy and often use the machine.

parkesie
    Free Member

Wash up as we cook then after weve eaten. Unless to drunk tired lazy then it get left till the next day.

z1ppy

A friend of mine who is a high end kitchen fitter has installed 2 dishwashers in some houses, you never have to empty them, use the clean plates from one as you go and put them into the other one when dirty, wash and repeat. Lazy huh.

Lazy? No the man is a genius, it’s the magic pixie cupboard in the corner & I won’t be without one again. Washing up is a waste of life, I hate it and will let it pile up until there nothing left to use.
    My 1st job was a kitchen porter, you don’t know about washing up, until you’ve worked in a professional kitchen 😯

bigyinn
    Free Member

Somewhere between a) & before leaving for work the next morning.

amplebrew

I wash them straight away.

Far easier and quicker than letting the dishes stack up.

plumber
    Free Member

C) but I only have a few items of crockery so it forces me to wash up with in a day or 2 anyway

Less is more betterer

chambord
    Free Member

My 1st job was a kitchen porter

Me too, this might explain my slightly OTT and meticulous approach to washing up.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Di-swah-shuh
    Am reluctant to clutter up the kitchen with domestic stuff but bought a mini dishwasher a couple of months back and it’s ace—everything else in life might be utter poo but the dishes are spangly clean and the sink doesn’t smell like something climbed in there and died

annebr
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

As a kind of dirty protest against the Missus. In her books; if I’ve cooked, it’s my mess and therefore I must wash up, if she’s cooked then she’s done me a favour, and therefore I have to wash up.

I also have to make breakfast every day as she’s “not a morning person”, unfortunately the reverse doesn’t hold true that I can bunk off the rest of the housework by not beuing an evening person (I actualy am, but I’d rather spend them on my bike).

Lazy cow, I hope she gives good blow jobs.

cheers_drive

Usually straight after eating, except for Fridays which is lazy night.
    We have a dishwasher but only use it for crockery, knive and forks, a cups and glasses.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I’m a bit of a luddite and a minimalist who doesn’t really like buying things and is quick to dismiss the vast majority of consumer goods as superfluous. But having discovered the joys of a dishwasher about five years ago, there is no going back.

After five minutes with a dish washer, hand washing dishes seemed as ridiculous and archaic as bare earth floors, wall mounted gas lighting and tin baths in front of the coal fire.

andytherocketeer

Knife for the marmite to spread on the crumpets. Marmite never goes off or mouldy, so no need to wash it.

Fork for the potnoodle. Rinse it the next time you go to the kitchen.

Mug for tea. Rinse as above.

(actually do know someone whose kitchen habits are basically that)

molgrips
    Free Member

Definitely c, every time.

sweepy
    Free Member

wash up roughly once every 1.5 days here. Pet hate with the Mrs is when she uses a clean cup for every drink rather than rinse one out, oh and not wiping sharp knives and putting back so they get blunted in the sink, oh and putting sharp knives in the sink, oh and only washing the inside of saucepans.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

natrix
    Free Member

My wife actually enjoys washing up (so do I a bit) but neither of us likes drying. So, if there’s too much to fit in the drainer she’ll wash up and leave it to drain/dry in the dishwasher (which is only used for its proper purpose when we have guests).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Washing up.’ is closed to new replies.