• This topic has 30 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • washing stand
  • andybrad

So i often wash the bike propped up against the wall. At some point (usually 12pm when im knackered, cold and wanting to get inside) it slips down and i end up, possibly comically, spraying myself with the hose or just having my bike fall over as im too tired.

So i was going to make a bike stand. Ive already made a BB stand but this doesnt work when im spinning the chain backwards to clean it.

Does anyone have anything that looks nice (so it can live permanently on the patio) ?

benp1

Have you seen the Aldi bike stand? £15 and ready made

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve refined the technique of propping against a wheelie bin 🙂

benp1

I sometimes wedge the rear wheel of my bike between the wooden uprights of the banister I have outside (on the decking). Works quite well

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The ones at Aldi, that appear to be re-baged Feedback stands, as found on wiggle at a higher price?

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I made a variation on an andy/scorpion stand from a guitar stand, it works great on hollow axle cranks, not so much on my Hope cranks.

andybrad

purchased one of the spring loaded aldi stands.

its too narrow for my tyre.

benp1

Ah, in that case you could make a rear wheel catcher out of wood or plastic pipe – there was a great pic of the bike stand made from plastic pipe, I was very impressed!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@andybrad Feedback apparently do a wide tyre version, not seen it myself, but read on bikeradar.

andybrad

those feedback wall posts are fantastic. However im trying to avoid washing the house every time i clean the bike.

looks like a wheel stand is the only option.

Leku
    Free Member

https://andystand.co.uk/shop/

but ££££ (I have one but they dont fit my new RaceFace cranks)

chipster

Not sure how to post YouTube videos…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I had a toppeak stand that was great but with the change in axles it won’t work any more.

This cheap thing looks good as it holds the chainstays, although no good for me with asymmetric stays 🙁

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibera-Utility-Adjustable-Foldable-Mechanic/dp/B00G7ZO3GE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_200_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=M18362465Y5B6CFQR6A0

andybrad

already got a bb stand. doesnt work that well as a wash stand imo.

matt_outandabout

I’ve refined the technique of propping against a wheelie bin

+1

perchypanther
    Free Member

I use one of these. Was £12 from Halfords.

Chainstay and seatstay rest on the adjustable hooks.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

2 lengths of 2″x4″ or similar, and 2 lengths of fencing timber, screwed in an ‘H’ shape with a gap of mibbe 2.2″ inbetween the straps. Back wheel sits in gap, Bob’s yer auld man’s wee brother.

steel4real
    Free Member

Hey Andy – I’ve got one of these (or one that looks just like it) and it lives outdoors in my Halifax back yard specifically for washing bikes !

Bike stand

Best thing about it is it’s cheap AND fits all my/our bikes 26″,27.5 & 29. Plus it holds any of the bikes steady by the front or rear wheel.

I know it says max tyre width of 54mm but I’ve got 2.5’s in mine with space for a bit more width. May not do plus tyres though.

scruff9252

Can you not just lay your bike on the ground when you spray it? save leaving ironmongery lying about the patio…?

andybrad

cant turn the pedals if its on its side. need to hose down the drive train.

chipster

That YouTube video up there shows how to make what nobeer has suggested.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Halfords also sell that stand that is in Aldi – and they had Feedback stands on display as well. Pretty similar but not exactly the same, the Halfords one had different mounting options for the wheel.

marrv
    Free Member

I use a tree. Looks nice, holds up the bike and grows apples!

andybrad

just bought an apple tree. thats a possibility.

marrv
    Free Member

tree is my fave bike stand. its always there when I need it and just blends right in with the garden.

tomhoward

Turn it upside down 😈

andybrad

no no no.

kayak23

Get your partner/mate to hold it. Wearing an anorak of course. We’re not monsters.

clockarockin
    Free Member

Back wheel between two conveniently placed plant pots – brownie points for watering (and lubing 😉 ) the plants at the same time

carlos
    Free Member

Hey Andy – I’ve got one of these (or one that looks just like it) and it lives outdoors in my Halifax back yard specifically for washing bikes !

Same as this one – Bike stand

Best thing about it is it’s cheap AND fits all my/our bikes 26″,27.5 & 29. Plus it holds any of the bikes steady by the front or rear wheel.

Also got one of those Komodo stands. Works great, holds the bike well and you can spin the cranks.

Carlos

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the lower end Park Tools stands (get me!) It’s perfect for the job as despite being but one man, I can pick it up from his usual home in the garage and place it on the drive next to the drain where I wash my bike – DUAL PURPOSE!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘washing stand’ is closed to new replies.