Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Washing mashines. Another Bosch?
  • RustySpanner

Ours has finally expired after 11 years hard use, so can’t complain.

Tempted just to go for another cheapish Bosch – do they still last?
    Any similarly priced, reliable alternatives?

And recommendations on good places for service and deals gratefully received.
    Our local place, Gem, has closed down and I’m a bit clueless these days.

Thanks in advance.

Murray

I’ve used AO.COM and John Lewis in the past. Face to face buying seems to be dead.

My Bosch is 2002 so no idea if they’re still good

joolsburger
    Free Member

I got a Hoover one for 250 at Currys a while back it’s better at cleaning clothes than the Bosch it replaced and has been reliable so far (about 2 years) seems to be going strong and we do at least 5 washes a week sometimes more.

scotroutes

Try a John Lewis own brand

Tracey

Just replaced our Bosch one after it gave up the ghost with four pairs of Fivetens in it. Like yours it has had years of hard use

Found another one that was on offer at Currys with a furthur online discount. Ordered and delivered free next day.

Series 6 WAT28359GB

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Won’t be cheap, but Miele washers last for decades, in my old job we used to get the odd one donated that would be ~20 years old and be in such good nick for its age.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

We’ve just got a Bosch Serie 8 machine as a replacement to our very short lived Candy one. It’s leagues ahead especially on the noise front, you can hardly tell it’s on. How long it will last is anyone’s guess, but that’s the same with nearly all machines now. Service life is seen as 5 years by people in the trade, if you get more then you’ve done well apparently! (And that includes Miele).

I got mine at cost from the shop I do some work for but was still only about £50 less than the internet price shaggers, they sell Miele too but told me not to bother as the Bosch was better bang for buck.

tthew

We always go the other way and get a really cheap one, because these days unfortunately they are disposable as soon as the first big ticket item goes, unless you do the repair yourself.

Bought a Proline from Curry’s a couple of months ago. 8kg load, washing comes out cleaner than it went in and it was only a couple of hundred quid.

It at least has replaceable bearings, unlike the Indesit that went before it. 👿

MrTricky
    Free Member

Our Bosch was the shortest lived machine we ever had. Bearings failed just out of warranty. Replacement cost was almost the same as a new machine as they were completely inaccessible. Other online horror stories suggest that this was common. We now have a Miele, from John Lewis.

unovolo
    Free Member

According to a Which article most washing machines now have sealed drums which means even if a couple£ bearing goes the whole drum has to be replaced.
    Miele and certain Bosch models were exceptions to the rule.

Me I have a Bosch that’s probably around 9yrs of so old, so would probably buy one again when it eventually dies.

neilnevill
    Free Member

bosch here that was in the house when i bought it 8.5 years ago. I moved a nearly new indesit out my old house as i thought the bosch looked ‘well used’ and might not last. the indesit is still gathering dust in the garage.

fiancee has a bosch too, slightly newer. as we move 2 houses into one i think the indesit will go to freecycle and my old bosch take its dust gathering place in the garage

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve only had 2 washing machines in my life so far. I got a bottom of the range Bosch when I got my first house – about £215 I think it was. that lasted 15 years and 2 house moves of absolutely trouble free service. So when it did finally give up the ghost I thought Bosch deserved may repeat custom so got another bottom of the range Bosch. 2 years on and it’s still going strong. A Miele might cost 2 to 3 times more (a work colleague spend £800 on a Miele tube dryer – bonkers), i’m not convinced that one would last 45 years though so probably not worth the investment on a cost basis.

Not sure what is THE BEST washing machine IS – I only have 2 criteria 1. that it cleans my clothes (they all do that) and 2. that it lasts for a good few years and doesn’t break down, so the cheap Bosch’s seem to fulfil my criteria. At the end of the day it’s a washing machine. I can’t get too excited about them.

matt_outandabout

We just had an LG require third bearing set after 14 years constant use, plus pump was making noises, so decided to get a new machine.

It came down to a Bosch or LG – and then AO took £30 off the LG. Big. Quiet. Cleans well. White.

Frustrating to have to splash the cash, but as long as it lasts, I’m OK.

dannybgoode

Got a Beko and it hasn’t missed a beat in 6 years of service so far and much cheaper than many. Would happily buy another if it were to die.

footflaps

Got a Beko and it hasn’t missed a beat in 6 years of service so far and much cheaper than many. Would happily buy another if it were to die.

I wouldn’t touch Beko with a barge pole, they are quite happy to kill their consumers…

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-09-26/beko-appliances-households-still-at-risk-from-faulty-white-goods-that-caused-deadly-fire/

They’ve been warned for years by London Fire brigade that their devices were a fire risk and they just carried on selling them…

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Our Candy was a gamble with buy cheap and replace sooner if needed, but 18mths later it’s got a knackered bearing and if truth be told was noisy and didn’t was all that well.

brakes
    Free Member

we’ve got a 5 year old Bosch that’s used every day. not had any problems with it. couple of times it has clogged up but that’s because we never do washes over 40 degrees and forget to do a service wash. better since we stopped using liquitabs and use powder instead.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

+1 for cheap Bosches. We’ve had 3 now over 15 years. (previous 2 left in houses when we’ve moved out, still going strong).

Most recent is 2 years old and does at least one load a day, 7 days a week, plus biking and gym gear. Wouldn’t buy anything else…

RustySpanner

Ta everyone, wading through deals at the mo.

Much appreciated.

ourmaninthenorth

Replaced a broken “beyond economic repair” Miele with a BOSCH Serie 6. Seems to be holding up well. Am going to add a matching tumble dryer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Our Bosch recently ate it’s bearings.

Bought an Indesit Moon off ebay as a cheap stopgap. Hateful thing.

It does a 1400spin, but only on the 60 wash, the 40 wash is about 1000 and the 30 wash 800rpm. Very economical, but pointless when it means absolutely everything has to go through the tumble dryer! And that’s it, there’s a dedicates program too, but that doesn’t even attempt to spin dry at a mere 600rpm!

We wash pretty much everything at 30, and want it spun at full speed so it can air dry in the conservatory.

Will be replacing the Bosch bearings as long as they haven’t damaged the spider. The only thing the indesit has going for it is a) looks cool (for a washing machine) and b) it’s really quiet (possibly because the bearings).

We always go the other way and get a really cheap one, because these days unfortunately they are disposable as soon as the first big ticket item goes, unless you do the repair yourself.

They’re simple bits of machinery. I’ve had most of ours apart at some time or another to fix things and I’ve never dumped one.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Aeg from John Lewis 5 year guarantee for 400 quid month ago. Seems well made

RustySpanner

Sorted now, but what a faff.

John Lewis can’t deliver till next Thursday.
    I’m down to four pairs of snappers as it is. One bad safety on the brown and I’d be sunk, so no.

The nice lady in Argos could get us one some time in the next 11 days.
    I’d be feral by then.

Remembered a local place in Rawtenstall, Simply Electricals.
    Nice people, price matched and knocked an extra tenner off for cheek.
    In stock, arrives tomorrow morning.

Face to face service rules.
    Might risk a chickpea curry.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Washing mashines. Another Bosch?’ is closed to new replies.