Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Washing machines in the kitchen….
  • dmorts

They are passive systems though

Toliet Cistern
    Water Tank
    Hot Water Tank
    Washing Machine

They all fill up large containers of water autonomously, i.e not with direct human input like turning a tap on and then off…… granted a toilet cistern is started by human input but it stops on it’s own accord (or more accurately its built-in feedback loop)

simon_g

My wife is a kiwi and still bemused about the lack of top-loading washing machines here, which should (of course) go in the garage.

If I was designing from scratch I’d probably want them on the same floor as the bedrooms, saving you carting it all downstairs only to bring it back up again. Although that only works if you tumble-dry everything.

dmorts

the lack of top-loading washing machines here

I think it’s because they use a lot more water than front loaders and water is often metered here.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I think it’s because they use a lot more water than front loaders and water is often metered here.

Front loaders were the norm in the UK before metering was widespread. I think it’s because we have our washing machines in the kitchen beneath a worktop.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It seems it might be only the UK who have it in the kitchen. I’m just pointing out that it’s a bit odd….

The Brits might be the odd one out but that doesn’t make us wrong, especially when you take tradition and housing size into account….
    My aunt is Canadian, a Newfoundlandlander. She has a big house, and like all the houses out there it’s big enough to have an actual laundry room. As the house is on 4 levels, the laundry room is sensibly in the furthest room away on the lowest level. For most of the year the clothes are dried in the drier but she will have to carry her clothes down 3 sets of stairs to wash and dry them, then back up to put them away. If the washer was in the kitchen it would be up and down one set of stairs and it would be easier to dry them outside in their short summer as it’s right next to the garden. As far as I’ve noticed all the Canadian houses seem similarly planned.
    It’s out of sight but it’s a lot more faff.
    Traditionally in the U.K. We have smaller, far older, houses that predate washing machines and dry clothes outside. So it makes more sense to put the washing machine in the kitchen.
    Most newer houses have utility rooms though, but they’re generally just a kitchen extension and near a door to the garden.
    I’d say we’ve got it right to be honest.

dmorts

I think it’s because we have our washing machines in the kitchen beneath a worktop.

But from what I’ve seen front loaders are the norm in Europe too. I think it’s just a space saving thing then

dmorts

Traditionally in the U.K. We have smaller, far older, houses that predate washing machines and dry clothes outside. So it makes more sense to put the washing machine in the kitchen.

As previously pointed out, elsewhere in Europe smaller, older houses also exist but the washing machines aren’t in the kitchen

midlifecrashes

Also worth noting that in USA, most won’t be allowed to hang washing outside, so tumble dryer use is the norm.

dmorts

in USA, most won’t be allowed to hang washing outside

Is this a normal local bylaw? I’d heard it was a status thing, i.e. if you hang your washing out it shows you’re not wealthy enough to own a drier

whitestone
    Free Member

I think it’s some of the newer “gated” developments that don’t allow washing to be hung outside.

newrobdob
    Free Member

We stayed with friends who live in Las Vegas (well Henderson to be accurate). They only had a small house by US standards but they had a small box type room on the same floor (1st) as the bedrooms which had washer dryer and ironing board in. Makes SO much sense. You take your clothes off in the bedroom on the same level where all your clothes get cleaned and dried and ironed, which then go back in your bedroom.

We have ours in our cellar. Which is great as you can’t hear them but having to take them all down 2 floors to then have to bring them back up all that way again doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. A laundry chute would be amazing.

midlifecrashes

USA is odd in that most housing estates have ties back to the developer and a sometimes a home owners association too setting sometimes petty rules for all sorts of stuff down to the mix of grass seed allowed on lawns and the colour of mailbox. For decades drying stuff outside has been seen as something poor people and hippies do, so you don’t want your development to look like those sorts live there, hence the bans.

dmorts

midlifecrashes, I did think any local bylaw in the US would tie back to drying stuff outside being seen as a sign of being poor

Right, next….

Single taps, i.e. non mixer taps, on hand basins. Another British quirk linked to building regs. Discuss. 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Washing machines in the kitchen….’ is closed to new replies.