Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Washing machines
  • NZCol

Ours died spectacularly today, burning smell yesterday dismissed, today full scale flameageddon, thankfully no injuries or damage other than me having to wrestle the **** thing to smoulder in the back garden ….
    Anyway, it was 40 quid 4 years ago when we moved in so its done its time.
    Have a Which? login so had a look, FFS 82 recommended machines, come on, i need a 7kg washing machine, standalone to go under a counter in a laundry. Speedy washing a plus. Give me your best suggestions. We need it this week !

cp

Bosch

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Zanussi seem to last well in our house despite my repeated attempts at killing it with mud, coins and screws.

northernmatt

Bosch

What he said. We have a lower end Bosch machine, lasted through 6 years of muddy bike kit, all manner of child related mess, and a bra wire which we thought had killed it but it’s fine. 7kg capacity and has the option to do a wash in 15 minutes if you’re that way inclined.

cp

I should say we don’t personally own a Bosch – but my folks and some friends do. We have other white goods all Bosch – all ‘just work’.

That said, on the basis that our LG 7kg job which is well over 10 years old and fixed itself when I pulled it out from under the counter the other day after it stopped working maybe I should say LG. I like stuff that fixes itself 🙂 Mighty loud and wobbly though… it has survived all those years of muddy cross racing, mtb, bike shoes etc… and now it’s worst challenge yet – the rigours of a 1 year old.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Bought this Bosch 2 weeks ago (at least if you buy from JL they are excellent if it breaks in the next 2 years). Has a good quick 30 cycle. The bigger load capacity is a bonus
    https://www.johnlewis.com/bosch-wat28370gb-freestanding-washing-machine-9kg-load-a-30-energy-rating-1400rpm-spin-white/p2065435

matt_outandabout

LG here did 12 years hard labour, so I bought a new one last year when it finally died.

redmex
    Free Member

Samsung usually come with 5 years cover included and it plays a nice wee tune at the end
    1hr wash 95% of the time

spooky_b329

Just to be difficult, we inherited a newly new Bosch machine. It’s now 4 years old with very little use…it’s about to be thrown out as it has started making a very loud pop followed by tripping the RCD breaker for that circuit.

I’ve opened it up twice to inspect and threaten it with a hammer, can’t work out what’s causing it and risk of fire is making me think it’s not worth a third attempt.

Our original machine must be getting on for 10 years old which is amazing as it’s also got a condenser dryer shoehorned in there. Hotpoint Aquarius.

properbikeco
    Free Member

I have a Samsung, all I can say is it’s miles better than the Hotpoint crap it replaced!

nuke

Bosch

RoterStern
    Free Member

Miele end of thread. There are seven of us in our household so the machine gets used at least once day. It was the only machine the shop could recommend for our circumstances.

dmck16
    Free Member

Our family Indesit has been brilliant these past few years. Frequently washing manky builders clothes which usually includes sawdust, nails and screws.

But for my own flat, I got a cheapy Beko. Doesn’t get hammered since it’s just me – It’s been fine, bit noisy though.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Rotor Stern has it

Cheapest Miele

Advice I was given by a repair man 15 odd years ago was to buy the cheapest model from the best manufacturer

Bought a Miele and not looked back

It’s built like a tank – cast iron weight and so on

He also advised running a 95C wash once a week to keep it clean

RoterStern
    Free Member

Yup. We have the cheapest Miele. Not because of price but the higher spec ones were too much tech for Frau Stern 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Miele end of thread. There are seven of us in our household so the machine gets used at least once day. It was the only machine the shop could recommend for our circumstances.

Ours gets used constantly, not just once a day (two young children). Four years old, 10kg load, 12 minutes quick cycle, not missed a beat in that time other than a snapped handle that cost £8 from eSpares. Make? I don’t know – it was the cheapest with the functions my wife wanted at <£200 from ao . I cannot see the justification of spending multiple £00s on branded machines . When ours blows spectacularly we’ll just buy a new machine – I cannot see how spending three or four times as much could be economically sensible- after all in 10 years time technology will have moved on and machines be ever more economical and have more functionality.

timber

Used to deliver electrical goods as holiday work, Mieles are considerably heavier than anything else, never collected one when delivering though, think they are heirlooms rather than white goods.
    Would recommend paying for the delivery if you get a Miele, two man job to shift.

wombat

Another vote for Miele here.
    Came with a 10 year warranty about about 15 years ago and has never missed a beat.
    It’s quiet even in full spin and is almost heavy enough to generate it’s own gravitational field.
    Completely agree with it being a 2 man job to shift it, when we moved house 13 years ago the removal man who was dealing with the kitchen stuff took one look and shouted to his mate “Give us a hand in here John, they’ve got a Meile” 😀
    It’s dealt with (at a conservative estimate) about 10 washes a week including frequent lots of muddy biking/football/running/general outdoors kit.
    We’d get another one without hesitation.

kayak23

Washing machines

Live longer with Calgon?

hot_fiat

I managed to pick up a very cheap Miele recently from a department store warehouse sale. Before that I had a Bosch washer/dryer for 8 years. The Bosch had been faultless until a control board died. After much nagging I finally took that and the indi5hit (which was about the same age but took half the punishment) that was in my wife’s old flat to the tip on Saturday.

Both weighed around 50kg so I thought I’d dismantle them and remove the ballast so I could lift them I to the car. The indisit had a 6X45x45cm slab of concrete bolted to it to stop it jumping around the room. The Bosch had nothing – just much better quality construction to start with.

The new Miele weighs 95kg!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

He also advised running a 95C wash once a week to keep it clean

That seems incredibly excessive – my Beko has a self-clean cycle and the manufacturer recommends running this every couple of months.

Running a 95 degree was uses loads of power – thousands (if not millions) of Polar Bears will die, along with the complete loss of the rain forest.

😉

NZCol

Wetn Miele as all our other Miele stuff is bulletproof, thanks all 🙂

wwaswas

We’ve got a Bosch – 8 years old does at least one wash every day. I replaced the brushes about 18 months ago which took 10 minutes. It’s generally getting a bit noisier but live sin the garage so not a major issue.

GrahamS

Not really high end or niche enough for STW, but our Beko (WMB 714422) does the job perfectly well.
    7kg load, 1400rpm spin, A++ energy plus if it goes wrong I can buy another one and I’ll still be quids in compared to some of the high end stuff.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

A friends parents have an all Miele kitchen and it is 35 years old.

Had to refurb my new house recently and that is all Miele. Only bits that were excessively priced compared to Bosch with the cooker hood and the slimline integrated dishwasher.

My washing machine uses Miele supplied cartridges of washing liquid in the bottom so I just chuck the stuff in and select the program, although it can use regular liquid as well. I got £100 off when I bought and a years supply of the cartridges, and as I am now single they are going to last me for several yeaers I reckon.

toby1

When I bought a new one I read reviews and reviews and overthought it.

Turns out the most important thing to check is the shape as I can no longer open the drawer next to mine.

Also. they are machines, that wash clothes and eventually wear out is about all you need to know.

Buy something in the right price range with a couple of years warranty, end of re-search.

Aus
    Free Member

Bought a secondhand Bosch and it lasted 8 years of regular family washes. Replaced with a bottom of the range Miele after STW recommendation, thank goodness it’s got a 10 year guarantee, engineer called out 3 times already to replace door seal, a leak and the heating element!

parkesie
    Free Member

Anything but hoover/candy.

simondbarnes

Anything but hoover/candy.

My Candy washing machine lasted 12 years. Happy with that. Have Beko now.

jon1973
    Free Member

Running a 95 degree was uses loads of power – thousands (if not millions) of Polar Bears will die, along with the complete loss of the rain forest.

That’s a small price to pay for a clean washing machine. Apart from standing on top of glacier mints, what do polar bears actually do?

redmex
    Free Member

Miele is top dollar stuff but i had a dishwasher that was incontinent, surly, tempremental and huffy. It was chucked in the skip, i did buy it 2nd hand now i know why the original buyer wanted rid of it

spacemonkey

Bish Bash Bosch.

Had ours 3 years. Needed a warranty callout after 18 months as the “brick” had loosened itself. Engineer said it was the only time he had seen that happen. Been fine since.

Since then we never spin on 1400 (1200 is perfectly adequate) as IMO repeated use on that speed was to blame.

ebennett

We’ve had a Bosch for 4 years with no problems (of course, now I’ve tempted fate and it’ll sh*t the bed spectacularly). However, it’s an attention-seeking little bugger – when it’s finished it’ll beep 3 times (loudly enough for me to hear in the living room) then wait 30 seconds and do it again. Which it repeats until I go and attend to it or after about 10 tries, whichever comes 1st – usually me going to switch it off.

It doesn’t sound like much, but it’s bloody annoying 😆

tonyf1
    Free Member

We had one in our old house that played jingle bells when it completed the wash cycle. Weird.

peekay

Ebennet: The post wash bleep is very easy to turn off permanently with just a few button presses. The manual will be available online.

Have had a Bosch for a few years. Very pleased with it, does a few washes of filthy cycling and running gear a week, plus also my partner’s horse riding gear that is covered in dirt and a crazy amount of horse hair.

ebennett

Ebennet: The post wash bleep is very easy to turn off permanently with just a few button presses. The manual will be available online.

Do you mind if I kiss you? 😆

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Washing machines’ is closed to new replies.