Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Washing Machine – Tripping Power
  • sammaratti
    Free Member

This morning all of my sockets went dead so I checked the fuse box and the big RCD switch was down.

So I unplugged everything and went through the process of plugging everything back in until I found out what the problem is, and it was the washing machine.

It was during a cycle so I have a machine full of water that I can not drain due to it tripping every time I plug it back in.

I’m planning to get some hose pipe to suck the water out with. But does this mean the washing machine has had it or could there be a simple cause?

Thanks

martinhutch

There should be a drain hose built into the machine for this very purpose.

leffeboy

Could be something as simple as a leak dropping onto an electrical contact and tripping the rcd. If you are handy then unplug it and take a look inside. If you aren’t handy and it’s only a few years old then is probably worth a repair, otherwise bin it

I’ve fixed similar stuff in the past where a loose seal eventually allowed water to drip inside and another case where a Water heater had cracked slightly to allow a little water out. Both were easily fixed

sammaratti
    Free Member

The draining isn’t so much of a problem.

Its more the power tripping which is the issue.

sammaratti
    Free Member

Its probably 5 years old now and has seen 5 house moves so I guess it owes me nothing.

Just not the best time financially to be buying new

martinhutch

Could be a short in a variety of bits of the machine. As above, if you get the back off (with it unplugged!) and there is obvious water ingress, then it may be salvageable.

Hunting down the culprit otherwise could be a bit of a ball-ache, and the cost of the replacement part might tip you towards a new machine.

timba
    Free Member

Has anything been changed in the house circuitry? Has the washer always worked ok until now?

Electrical surges can be enough to trip an RCD; pumps, motors and heating elements are prime candidates here

If nothing has changed and the problem has only just started then you may well need an electrician. They can test the RCD for nuisance tripping to make sure that it’s working correctly

If the RCD checks out then it will be a fault with either the circuit or the washer. It could be as simple as a sticky bearing in the washer motor causing a surge to get the motor moving

It’ll be a logical process but time-consuming

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The title of this thread sounds like a bad progressive rock band/album.

IdleJon

My washing machine was tripping the electric when the thermostat kicked in. It was fine until that point and would work ok on a cold spin. I googled for common problems with my model and found the reason quickly enough. Unfortunately a new part would cost more than a half decent machine.

sammaratti
    Free Member

Thinking about it, I suppose it has been sounding a bit off recently.

I am tempted to whip the back off but I have no idea what to look for.

The house is only 8 months old and all has been fine until now.

Im always being told im over filling it, so maybe this is true

Kryton57

I had this with a Bosch. On some there is a thermal trip switch behind the rear panel. If the machine overheat it trips. Disconnect from the mains, try removing the panel and pressing that. Mine was an isolated incident and the machine has been fine ever since.

sammaratti
    Free Member

Thanks Kryton, sounds simple enough even for me.

I’m going in, the RNLI are on standby for when I flood the place

sammaratti
    Free Member

Ok.

Had the back and top off, there’s no sign of any water ingress and all earth’s look fine. Wiring seems in good condition and no sign of a switch of any sort.

sammaratti
    Free Member

My theory from almost no electronic knowledge is this.

Because its tripping the RCD is must be an earthing problem. And because all earthing etc seems fine than it must be the motor going down to earth.

Which means the motor is knackered and requires replacing?

Does this sound logical at all?

Thanks all for the assistance.

crofts2007
    Free Member

If it is turning the drum, the motor is probably ok.
    If it is tripping when trying to turn the drum, possibly a carbon buildup on the motor from the worn motor brushes.
    If it is tripping when the water is being heated, probably the element.
    Element would be the harder option to change.
    If it is tripping when getting to a drain cycle, probably the drain pump has an issue, easier than the element to change though.
    HTH

timba
    Free Member

Because its tripping the RCD is must be an earthing problem

The RCD trips either when the phase and neutral aren’t balanced, or when it’s faulty
    It might be that a flow of current to earth causes the imbalance, but that isn’t necessarily the same as an earthing problem

sammaratti
    Free Member

Getting a bit technical now for me now , ill just buy a new one I think.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Washing Machine – Tripping Power’ is closed to new replies.