Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Washing Machine & Dryer in a cupboard – Trying to reduce the noise
  • sturdylad
    Free Member

OK so any noise reduction experts or even anyone who has tried successfully or otherwise to reduce the noise from washing machine and tumble drier?

Bit more detail of my plan…

We are having an extension built on the back of the kitchen diner and we intend to use the new space as “family Space” as all the trendy brochures call it, Sofa and TV to the rest of us!

We have a chunk of space under the stairs which is dead space and intend to fill it in with cupboards.
    Into this space will go the washer and drier.
    I have it in mind to sit the washing machine on some dense foam with a plywood board on top to minimize vibration but also thought I could line the sides of the cupboards with some form of sound proofing to further reduce any noise.

Any reason not to do this?
    As this part of the work is still at design stage I could build a vent in if heat build up was a likely problem.

As the current machines die off I will replace them with quieter ones but for now we are where we are.
    The tumble drier is a condenser so no need to worry about a big vent pipe for this.

Thanks in advance to anyone who gets this far and cares to voice an opinion!!

JB

ji
    Free Member

Fire risk? Washers and dryers are one of the biggest fire hazards in a house, and you’re putting them under the stairs…?

(Sorry, can’t help with your actual query, in best STW style)

soobalias
    Free Member

I would suggest the best start is to ensure the machines are direct to a solid floor and properly height adjusted (corners) to prevent any rocking.
    what is the floor under the stairs, solid or floorboards?
    what is the noise, is it vibration or just motor/pump sounds?

I don’t like your dense foam/plyboard top plan – the mental image is of a washing machine on a trampoline

you could sound insulate the cupboard, but it will reduce your ‘door’ space, reduce airflow (condensation/mould) and increase the fire risk.

dmorts

I have it in mind to sit the washing machine on some dense foam with a plywood board on top to minimize vibration

This will probably reduce vibration transmission and stop the vibrations rattling other things and producing noise. But as pointed out above it could pogo about. You can instead buy rubber feet or pads specifically for this purpose.

but also thought I could line the sides of the cupboards with some form of sound proofing to further reduce any noise.

Foam* or something similar on the interior of the cupboard may reduce the noise level inside the cupboard slightly. However, the key thing is a solid, sealed enclosure first.

Talking in broad principles:

Enclosures are lined with absorptive material to stop resonances of the air volume inside the enclosure itself. They do not stop transmission of sound through the enclosure walls.

Transmission through the enclosure walls is stopped by the mass and density of the walls and all gaps being sealed.

Heat build up might be a problem. The machine manufacturer will have recommendations on minimum distances.

*For any foam to be suitable, it has to be of open cell construction.

joshvegas
    Free Member

The previous occupants of my flat had a condenser tumble drier under the stairs.

If you’re a fan of mould go for it.

sturdylad
    Free Member

Some very good points raised there.
    Thanks, a few I hadn’t thought of..
    It’s never going to be completely soundproof that much I do understand, its more a question of cutting out as much as we can without going too mad.

Thanks again

SammyC
    Free Member

We’re thinking of doing something very similar OP.

My biggest concern is the floorboards under the washer transmitting the noise throughout the house.

rt60
    Free Member

I have used 25mm fireseal foam on a number of jobs, works well at reducing reverberant noise, not sure how good a location that is, but this will minimise the Noise build up in that space.

https://www.easyfoam.co.uk/fireseal-acoustic-foam.php

My biggest concern is the floorboards under the washer transmitting the noise throughout the house.

Do not put them on anything other than a solid floor if you possibly can, structure bourne noise can be a real nightmare, as it is almost impossible to predict where it will re-radiate from once it is in the structure. If you do need to put them on floorboards use a dense rubber product such as absorbalay matting with a boards to sit them on.

https://www.soundstop.co.uk/ZABSLAY15S.php

Pieface

Condenser tumble dryers create a lot of humidity, you’ll definitely want a vent of some sort.

sturdylad
    Free Member

The washer will be on a solid floor (block and beam)
    Thankfully we will be removing it from its current built in location and making it free standing so at least it won’t be bouncing off the sides of the kitchen units anymore!
    I’ll certainly not be sorry to see this this one die even if it means paying out for a new one!
    Wouldn’t have another whirlpool washer based on our experience with this one.
    They seem to last about 9 months before getting noisy, thankfully the original died just before 12 months was up, 2nd one going the same way…
    Back to the soundproofing, I think I’ll just try rubber feet first and proper leveling, but allow enough space for some acoustic foam if needed later on.

Will try and get a vent put in too.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

We had a washing machine/dryer cupboard built outside ( more of a posh mini shed) it’s built onto neighbours wall been blended in the whole length of the wall 4 metres long, you wouldn’t know what it was.
    No noise to worry about, pain if is raining!

Big fan of washing machine out of the house

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Washing Machine & Dryer in a cupboard – Trying to reduce the noise’ is closed to new replies.