• This topic has 26 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ski.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Washing eVENT gear?
  • ski
    Free Member

cool/warm wash?

What type of detergent?

What spray do you use to keep the DWR finish, or do you not bother?

Why am I biting my nails at the thought of washing this jacket?

😉

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

eVent care

I use the Grangers potions. Worth running the washing machine on a hot cycle first to get rid of any left over detergents.

Tumble dry afterwards- haven’t used the spray on DWR but don’t think its needed

Jamie
    Free Member

I never wash them. Just wipe the worse of the shite off.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ski
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

I never wash them. Just wipe the worse of the shite off.

That’s what I have been doing for the last year or so Jamie, but it wiffs a bit, even by my smelling standards 😉

rockthreegozy – Member

eVent care

I use the Grangers potions. Worth running the washing machine on a hot cycle first to get rid of any left over detergents.

Thanks for the link rock, do you bother with the 2nd wash to clear any detergents?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I;

Hot wash empty machine
    Normal wash with Grangers 30degree cleaner
    Normal wash with Grangers reproofer
    Tumble dry

nobtwidler
    Free Member

I have a Montane eVent jacket and the instructions that came with it just say wash as normal.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

DO NOT USE NORMAL WASHING POWDER!

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Taken from eVent
    “Regular washing of your eVent garment will enhance product performance. Your garment may be machine washed in warm water (110F / 40C) with liquid detergent, and we recommend a second rinse to remove all traces of detergent from the fabric.”

snakebite
    Free Member

I;

Hot wash empty machine
    Normal wash with Grangers 30degree cleaner
    Normal wash with Grangers reproofer
    Tumble dry

as rockthree says, but I also add a spray after tumbledrying the water beading and proofing is then as good as the day I bought it.

FOG

I always use the Nikwax waterproof wash stuff for goretex, paramo, e-vent etc., and it seems to work with all of them.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Normal detergent (without conditioners) can be used if the garment is heavily stained- but needs a proper rinse and/or a wash in Grangers/Nikwax after to remove all residue.

Many swear by pure soap flakes..

13thfloormonk

I use the spray as I don’t see the point in proofing the inside of the fabric, surely that effects the breathability?

I read on a hillwalking forum its sometimes worth using normal detergent first in order to really clean out residual grease and oil, before then washing in grangers etc, then re-proofing.

Seems a lot of hassle, I might just unzip it a bit if I get sweaty…

lorax

My Montane eVent jacket needed washing and the instructions on the two labels in it were ambiguous, so I contacted Montane and got this reply:

I can confirm that NikWax will not clean this garment, you need to wash it with a liquid detergent before using NikWax to reproof.

I suggest washing a couple of times with biological liquid detergent as you have reproofed over the dirt and grease due to the inaccurate first wash . After you have washed it give it an iron on the face fabric to rejuvenate the DWR.

I spoke to him and he confirmed that it should just be washed in any normal, biological liquid detergent as part of the normal wash – but not detergent powder as this can clog the pores. It can then be washed with Tech Wash to remove the detergent, and reproofed if necessary. But he was adamant that most of the time it should just be chucked in the machine with other laundry.

As someone who hadn’t dared wash it for a year in case it messed up the proffing I still find this hard to believe, but he was very clear about it!

soulrider
    Free Member

I use nickwax Tech wash… (its a cleaner not a waterproofer)

then follow the instructions on my PACE jacket and warm iron it to reactivate the water proofing..

seems to have worked so far.. still water proof still breathable.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The stuff to also avoid is the regular detergents with fabric softener combined, fabric softener isn’t great for waterproof stuff.

I use Nikwax tech wash and wash in reproofer for all my stuff – paramo, rab vapour rise, bike kit the lot.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I use the spray as I don’t see the point in proofing the inside of the fabric, surely that effects the breathability?

LOL. It dosn’t stick to the inside, only the ‘face’ fabric.

Cougar

For the price of all this stuff and the risk of knackering an expensive jacket, I’ve been idly toying with sending mine to LSR for reproofing.

Thoughts? Don’t bother, MTFU and wash it?

molgrips
    Free Member

Not IME. Definitely had breathability issues after wash-in proofing. Plus with spray you can put extra on heavy wear parts like shoulders etc. That’s with Goretex mind. eVent is different.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Its easy. Bung in washing machien with pure soap (not conventional washing detergent) – either nikwax, grangers or something you are SURE does not include fabric wetters.

Rinse.

Spin.

Reproof (spray or wash-in)

Low heat tumble dry or air then low heat iron.

13thfloormonk

Really? It knows the difference does it? 😀

We asked Grangers about this when we had a visit from them at our shop. Although they were very clear that it wouldn’t affect breathability (much..) they couldn’t explain exactly why it was OK to coat a porous breathable membrane with a waterproof ‘wax’ style substance.

I think the bottom line was that the molecule size of the proofer was such that it didn’t block the pores, but would repel water.

Or something.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

The breathability of my Altura Reflex has been killed completely by using Nikwax tech wash and tx direct. Trying to undo the “damage” but not too hopeful.

A shame as the Nikwax stuff has worked well on other jackets.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Odd, I’ve been used tech wash and tx direct wash in on 7 or 8 different jackets over 12 years, and they’ve all been fine. Thats both 2nd generation goretex 2 layer, 3rd generation paclite and (but mostly) on event jackets.

Speaking to various reps over the years, they usually intimated the tech wash wouldn’t stick to the insideface fabric (or at least, ‘as much’) – partic a single layer systems such as event or paclite, where the inner face is coated with their propriatry ‘magic’.

molgrips
    Free Member

Trying to undo the “damage” but not too hopeful.

It’ll come good after four or five wears I think Mat. The action of wearing it wears the stuff off the inside. At least it did when I did it.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Bucket
    Warm Water

Stir till dissolved
    jacket in, swirl around
    soak for 2-3 hours
    swirl again
    jacket in washing machine for a 40deg cycle with *no* detergents or cleaning products and spin dry
    tumble dry

job done

molgrips
    Free Member

Yep Z11, but after three of four washes you’ll want to reproof.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

And soap flakes smell odd – we have some and I hate them.

ski
    Free Member

Quality, I think I still have a box of half used soap flakes somewhere from my student days 😉

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Washing eVENT gear?’ is closed to new replies.