Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Washing clothes and tea towels together – am I a monster?
  • xcgb
    Free Member

It would appear my missus think I am!

I am talking a mixed load including some underwear (no skiddies :-))

So judge me, is it acceptable?

Marmoset
    Free Member

I’d wager that there’s more nasties on the average tea towel than there are on a set of clothes….

I’m not seeing a problem with what you do, common accepted practice in our household. After all, they’re all getting washed right?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Unless you use the tea towels to wipe down engines and tractors why wouldn’t you?

scaredypants

well, as long as you didn’t mix stripes and checks … 😯

wallop

Tea towels are a work of the devil, as are dishcloths.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

+1 for why wouldn’t you? I can’t see that clothes are any dirtier and if you are worried about stuff coming off clothes and ending up on the towels you might want to change your washing powder as you obviously don’t believe it works.
    On the other side of things you will never win this argument, science is worthless in these situations.

xcgb
    Free Member

On the other side of things you will never win this argument, science is worthless in these situations.

Amen to that Brother! 😀

sharkbait
    Free Member

Women….. they’re funny.

IHN

We wash clothes, tea towels and dishcloths in the same wash.

We do not however, apparently, wash out the small green kitchen waste recycley bin in the sink. Because it’s dirty. Unlike all the other perfectly clean things that we wash in the sink…

Women….. they’re funny

Ain’t they just.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Dear god… How could you?? Do you not see the risks you are exposing yourself to.

Seriously, what?? Is this a joke? (Just read the MumsNet thread). People are bloody bonkers! Wash it all together, chuck it in, let the machine clean while you have a pint or ride your bike. Who seriously has the time or patience to separate everything? It’s bad enough separating colours…

martinhutch

According to that mumsnet thread, you can even put your ‘rat hammock’ in with the load. 😯

Apparently that isn’t a euphemism, though it should be. 🙂

ebygomm
    Free Member

I wouldn’t but only because I’d wash tea towels at a different temp, not because I’m bothered about them mixing. I don’t separate colours.

DezB
    Free Member

Some threads just make me think I’ve lead a sheltered life.

xcgb
    Free Member

From Mumsnet!

Be honest, have you never shied away from wiping your hands on someone’s disgusting teatowel or hand towel because it smelt like dead people?

😀

richmtb

Explain to her how detergent molecules work.

If she doesn’t understand then its new patio time (although you may prefer decking)

Yak

Makes no difference. Lob it all in together. If there’s visible pant skids, dog shit on bike clothes etc, then add some nappisan.

geoffj

* considers googling rat hammock
    decides against it! 😕

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’d be more worried about the towels dumping fluff on everything else.

martinhutch

* considers googling rat hammock
    decides against it!

Coward!

cheers_drive

My wife insists in having a different load for each colour. Wasting loads of water and detergent my consequently rarely a full load. I’ve explained the flawed logic but she won’t listen. My wash apartied only involves seperating whites from all other coloureds.
    Still I did once wash a cloth that I’d previously used T-cut on which then tainted everything else that was washed for weeks to come.

freeagent
    Free Member

normally just chuck everything in together..

if we have lots of towels they might go on a hotter wash, same with bed sheets..

Life really is too short for anything more involved.

BigDummy
    Free Member

That this is wrong has not yet occurred to MrsDummy. Long may it continue.

🙂

BigJohn

I have put my Shimano W101 winter boots in the washing machine to get them clean before I glued the sole back on. And Snakebite regularly puts his cassette in the dishwasher to get it all sparkly again.

cblair246
    Free Member

If your using fabric conditioner, when washing your clothes and tea towels, then this can reduce the absorbency of your tea towels, so maybe your misses is onto something 😉 Personally always wash tea towels and other household cleaning products on their own without fabric conditioner. There will still be some fabric conditioner residue left in the machine I bet though.

xcgb
    Free Member

Fabric conditioner? gawd she’s lucky i put washing on, let alone work out where that goes!

loughor
    Free Member

Rat Hammock..?! 😯 Smells of dead people ?! Too many people with too much time and imagination, if it’s been through the machine it’s clean in my book.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Rat Hammock is definitely the best thing I will learn today – and yes, it is a euphemism (it is now anyway).

Just iron EVERYTHING then it’s all sterile – that’s waht my mum does…. and then complains about all the ironing she’s got to do. Mrs S takes a more liberal view but i still can’t get the right combinations of stuff in washing machine then stuff in drier. it’s not for husbands to know these things.

wwaswas

We used to put washable nappies in with the rest of the 60 degree washing. We did scrape the worst of the poo out first.

No one died.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Ooooh ya Dorty bastids

bikebouy
    Free Member

We’ve got two washing machines, 1 for “normal” clothes and 1 for bike/sailing/walking gear.

I thought this was a joke when MrsBouy first mooted the idea back in about 96’ish but it’s been a great way of a) me not giving a shite about what I put in (cough) “my” washing machine, whilst she puts all the bed linen/pants/tops/jeans and such in (cough) “hers”.
    Guess which ones been replaced first in all that time?
    Yup, hers.

😆

Keef
    Free Member

I have been using the dishwasher as a parts cleaner for years….aint died yet.
    I also put everything in the washing machine,this includes,but is not limited to,clothes,boots,trainers,bike kit,tea towels,towels,bedding,the mats out the bathroom,etc. all go in together,30 deg. all come out clean(ish) aint died yet.

loughor
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of Mumsnet before, but I (a 50 year old saddo) am definitely joining. Reckon the user names Gutted Rat or Map of Tassie will be taken ? Any other suggestions for a euphemistic name ? * Am still in shock*

xcgb
    Free Member

Watch out on Mumsnet its pretty down to earth and sweary!

Some comedy Gold on there though……

Kevevs
    Free Member

😀

loughor
    Free Member

Genuine question, I’ve just done a bit of trawling, is that a ‘proper’ site ? Good God Almighty ! 😯

xcgb
    Free Member

Told you so
    Makes this place look like a kindergarden!

mogrim

Genuine question, I’ve just done a bit of trawling, is that a ‘proper’ site ? Good God Almighty !

Where have you been for the past 5 years to not know about mumsnet???

lilchris
    Free Member

Reckon the user names Gutted Rat or Map of Tassie will be taken ? Any other suggestions for a euphemistic name ?

Try “Hora”

xcgb
    Free Member

To save you some time here are some classics!

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_classics

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Washing clothes and tea towels together – am I a monster?’ is closed to new replies.