Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)
  • Was Uni Worth it?
  • shooterman

I’ve got two kids and panic every time I think how much it will cost to send them to Uni.

However, I’ve recently started to question whether university is still worth it.

I have a degree and a post grad professional qualification. Until recently, I earned about as much as the guys who left school at 16, went into the civil service and worked their way up. No student loans to repay there!

More recently, a former employee of my boss’ contacted him and offered to work for £19-£20k. By chance I happened to notice a job advertised for the lowest grade admin officer in our local council for £17-£18k around the same time.

So, is the expense of a degree worth it if you are not going into one of the professions?

grum
    Free Member

Nah.

mrmo
    Free Member

i have a degree and still have a student loan 15years later never having met the earnings threshold, it might help get a first job, but is no guarantee and with the way degrees are now devalued by weight of numbers probably of lesser value every year.

You might be better off looking at getting a apprenticeship and going that route. I guess it depends on where you want to go but apart from medicine i really can’t think of many non research/academic jobs that demand a degree for any reason other than as a way of weeding out applicants.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Mintman
    Free Member

For me I had a great time, did a bit of growing up and opened up a career that I couldn’t have undertaken without one.

I get the impression now though that there are more ways than just Uni of getting into a decent job so other options might be equally or more viable.

Junkyard
    Free Member

e-mail me I am a career advisor and I will go into great detail if required my view
    1. Unless you do something vocational with a guaranteed return there is little point
    2. Unless you are going to get a good degree first or 2:1]there is little point. Having a Third in marketting wont get you a job in marketting.
    3.The old link between higher earnings an degree will have all but gone now if you remove 1 from the equation IMHO it will take about 20 years to know for sure.
    4. Many trades pay very well for very short training courses Electrician for examle [ plumbing is a bit of a myth]
    5. Outside teaching very few people I know actually need their degree to do their job but it may have helped them get the job initially.
    6. People are now not going as they have older siblings with large debts and crappy jobs so they dont see the point
    7. apprenticheship via employment is a viaable solution/alternative. Doing a two year course at college to make you qualified is largely pointless as there are no jobs to go in to. See Motor vehicle an hairdressing,child care, bricklaying, beaity Therpahy, sports coaching [ end up on th ecounter ata gym] or animal care. I suspect we graduate about 30-50% of the number of those actually employed in those fields each year [animal care is probably about 200%]- basically know your LMI labour market Information

Over all probably not but dependent on choice of degree course and likely grade

Harry_the_Spider

no

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got a BEng (Hons) 2:1 in mechanical engineering. If I had my time again, I’d just get a job and experience or maybe an apprenticeship. Really not worth the time and money in my experience.

scenetoomuch
    Free Member

It was one expensive hangover for me…
    I dropped out and stumbled into a bike shop and am very happy. I’d say of the amount of my friends that got good degrees – with a good result – 2.1’s and firsts only 50% have actually managed to get jobs relating to their qualifications.
    The wife and a fair few of our friends have just been doing bar work and retail whilst something better comes along. On the other hand a lot of them have started doing more training and qualifications to build up their knowledge and therefore giving them an edge on the competition, but it all costs.

amodicumofgnar

As a country we need to get away from the whole got to go get a degree straight from A-levels nonsense. The whole got to go to uni thing prob has more to do with our nations funny views on class than any real need.

yunki
    Free Member

As a country we need to get away from the whole got to go get a degree straight from A-levels nonsense

I agree.. I can’t help thinking that there may be a danger of this system generating a workforce with a quite narrow view of their surroundings..

jam-bo

Was for me. Degree in oceanography, have worked in the field for the last 12 yrs. Will continue to do so.

I think you need to really pick the right degree these days for it to be worthwhile.

float
    Free Member

lol there i was reading through this thread sitting on my high horse, and then,

I’ve got a BEng (Hons) 2:1 in mechanical engineering. If I had my time again, I’d just get a job and experience or maybe an apprenticeship. Really not worth the time and money in my experience.

balls 🙁 . to be fair though im enjoying university at the moment, who knows whats going to happen afterwards? I dont see the point of coming to university to study a weak subject though. i mean, its fun and all that, but i could think of way better ways to spend >£5000 a year.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I woon’t for one second pay any attention to Junky’s post, or indeed anyone attaching any sort of economic value to going to university. Is that seriously all it means to you? Pound notes??

It’s all about developing the mind. Which, if you have the aptitude for what’s in store, is worth it at any price.

Xylene
    Free Member

Not sure if it was a good thing or bad really.

Degree is worthless, a 3rd in an environmental based nonsense.
    Got me to where I am now, but I would never have gone to uni when I did if I hadn’t felt the pressure that was on me to go and follow the crowd.

Terrible time really, I was out of control at university and chose a rather interesting path in life which did create a lot of adventures and fun, but also made me into the person I am now, which is very different to the one ten years ago.

I wouldn’t do it again, not at 18 years old, I would do it again when I was 30.
    Which in a way I did with my PGCE and ITT.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I woon’t for one second pay any attention to Junky’s post, or indeed anyone attaching any sort of economic value to going to university. Is that seriously all it means to you? Pound notes??

yet you ask me some questions?
    From the OP

I’ve got two kids and panic every time I think how much it will cost to send them to Uni.

However, I’ve recently started to question whether university is still worth it.

I may have been addressing the OP’s concerns.
    We did not leave Uni with this level of debt – current estimate is £35k Of course there is more to Uni than the financial cost/gain but it would be foolish to not consider whether it was “worth” it given it does actually have a [fairly hefty]cost. You did an arts degree didn’t you 😉 and 🙄
    You could just do an OU degree to enrich yourself for a lot less cost

hoochylala
    Free Member

Seems to be working out for me.

In my 7th year now studying to be an architect, although my last 3 years have been part time whilst wokring in practice full time. For me, going to university was about having a path mapped out. I couldn’t see my self doing a degree that didnt have a clear career at the end of it all.

NZCol

historically yes, currently no.

thislife101
    Free Member

crikey, i’m agreeing with elfin… its not just about getting a job. its a valuabe (if expensive) experience – broadens the mind, meet a massive range of people from a huge variety of backgrounds/ethnicities/nationalities, build future contacts, develop interests with those around you who have the same (and different) interests, get a recognisable qualification which, like it or not, is valuable, go boozing, go shagging, become involved politically/socially/charitably etc etc etc etc.

its not for everyone, but i think it should be up to the person to decide. and its up to that person to make the most out of it – noone is going to hold your hand through it all.

in my experience university was fantastic. i did a reasonably interesting degree with a lot of flexibility, i met a lot of great people and, whilst monetarily i am in a precarious position at the moment (working for a start-up), its got me where i am now (the alps), and i’m getting great experience if things do go tits up.

I’m also of the opinion that the whole furore over the new fees is partly bandwagon jumping/ignorance of the new fees system (not necessarily a defect of the individuals, more an effect of widespread hysteria over headline figures). My understanding of the new system is that there will be a large debt, but the repayments will be very small, and a lot of people will never pay it off – it’ll get cancelled down the line anyway. its a long-term, low interest, low re-payment loan which a lot of people won’t have to pay off fully, unless you reap the rewards of a high paying job.

would i go back to uni? yes. without a doubt. would i also look into getting a trade/vocational training course? yes. definitely. its not the only option out there, but its certainly a great option for the right person – just gotta make the most of it.

[rant over]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You did an arts degree didn’t you

This is why it’s not worth listening to you, if you are going to be so dismissive of something you know nowt about.

Spongebob
    Free Member

It’s all about developing the mind. Which, if you have the aptitude for what’s in store, is worth it at any price.

I shining example of the sheer commercial naivety of one of out most left wing chums!

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you are going to be so dismissive of something you know nowt about.

I am a career advisor

yes elfin well done 🙄
    did you not say to ignore everything I said and now I am both dismissive and ignorant.
    Excellent go ride with ernie and chillax
    You had a humour fail over the arts bit as well

brakes
    Free Member

for me, university wasn’t about getting a qualification – yes, that’s why I went, but in hindsight I got SO much more out of it
    university changes you, it develops you into the adult you become, I’m not sure that people who don’t go to university would be developed in the same way (not to say it’s a better way than any other) – it was one of the best times of my life
    my current career has nothing to do with the degree I got, but I wouldn’t have the job I have today if I hadn’t gone to university
    I was also lucky to get financial support from a couple of companies so debts weren’t too bad

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not at all, Spongebrain; it’s about placing economics before mental and intellectual development.

Which I happen to think is the wrong way to go about things. The OP is stressing over stuff that may or may not affect his kids in the future, without perhaps considering their development as members of society enough.

People don’t seem to have any qualms when signing up to mortgages that could bind them for a great chunk of their lives, yet baulk at investment in education.

Junky’s ‘advice’ is rubbish.

Unless you do something vocational with a guaranteed return there is little point

I am so glad you weren’t my careers adviser. I feel sorry for anyone with ideas of expanding their intellectual capabilities who comes to you for advice. 🙁

What do you mean by ‘guaranteed return’?

Cos for me, that ‘return’ is a far greater understanding of the World around me, and an enhanced enjoyment of such, as well as increased confidence and self-esteem. Those things are priceless, imo.

footflaps

Very much profession dependent – you will be unlikely to get a job an an engineer / scientist without a degree. I hated my degree and university but saw it as a necessary step to get into a career I wanted (Engineering) and it has more than paid back it’s time and cost in terms of career average earnings.

Junkyard
    Free Member

given the age you are at when you go to Uni it will change you but so would 3 years travelling. Leaving home, mixing with a new crowd etc are all factors that will influence you certainly but there are other ways to achieve this.
    I am not saying University is solely about finacial gain [ to ignor ethis is daft though] but that was the question the OP asked and I answered it.
    If he asked does Uni enrich you then some here have done very well at answering that question that was not asked. Aparently some of these went to university see how much they have learnt and rejoice 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

So did you go to uni, Junky? And if so, what was your degree in?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I went to uni to study nursing. It was not for me despite making good friends and being in the top 1% academically at school. I left after first year and did the old style apprenticeship nurse training ( no longer available)

I think too many folk go to university for lack of other ideas and because its the done thing. Go if its right for you but don’t if it is not. Don’t matter if yo get a first in law or 3rd in history of art – its a part of education and that is broader than just exams

tommid
    Free Member

No pointelss, it was a fantastic excuse for me to drink, play rugby, cycle and sleep with as many girls as possible.
    My work is completly unrelated to my degree and does not require a degree. I have got on well in a professional environment due to my personality, character, work ethic and luck.
    Unless you are going to university with a clear view of what you wish to do i.e Solicitor, then it is largely pointless, especially now with fees. But then again we can do with a few less Media Studies graduates, that feel society owes them a living.

PePPeR

Most snobbish thing I ever had said to me (by a friend funnily enough) was “well of course you haven’t a degree have you?”

Strangely he gained his degree nearly 15 years ago and he still hasn’t hasn’t earned as much in a year as little old me who left school at 16 with a few poxy CSE’s.

My wife decided a few years ago that she wanted to become a teacher, so she did an access course and then went to Uni for three years, sheesh it nearly killed us with all the debt, but she now loves her job and as Junkyard says above it’s one of the few professions left which you ‘need’ a degree in!

yossarian
    Free Member

Well I spent 3 years taking drugs and spending money that wasn’t mine so i’d have to say yes, it was worth it.

Apparently I had the biggest student overdraft in barclays history at one point.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

So, tommid; you chose the wrong path and therefore uni is ‘pointless’?

Nothing like a properly informed, reasoned and balanced view, is there? 🙂

Interesting just how much some folk consider material wealth as more important than intellectual development. Thatcherism obviously worked…

grum
    Free Member

Interesting just how much some folk consider material wealth as more important than intellectual development. Thatcherism obviously worked…

Not sure that getting pissed for three years will help much with intellectual development. Your quaint view of unis is pretty outdated too – they are businesses interested in making money, challenging and engaging students comes low down the list of priorities these days.

Junkyard
    Free Member

little point

did your education teach you the difference between little point and no point?

I am so glad you weren’t my careers adviser

remind us what you do for a living?

I feel sorry for anyone with ideas of expanding their intellectual capabilities who comes to you for advice

I give advice and guidance armed with that information they make the choice. Generally you would not see a carers advisor for that you would see someone in an educational establishment. Is it matrix standard to waffle on about what a good time I had and to not mention the cost and the fact you may not get a rewarding [ financially or spiritually] job as a result? these are not factors you should consider when making the choice?

Cos for me, that ‘return’ is a far greater understanding of the World around me, and an enhanced enjoyment of such, as well as increased confidence ands self-esteem. Those things are priceless, imo.

politically and philosphically I would not disagree but unfortunately they do actually have a cost and that debt will have implications for you whether I approve or not of the current funding methods.

Obviously I went to Uni and to not be a shy as you
    Bsc Psychology First Class – you can do it as an arts degree as well – well you could when I did it – do you want a copy in case I am BS? Interesting I did it as an arts degree but changed to science during the course but it was exactly the same course. I “minored” in Philosphy and Theology- with only the former contributing to my degree.
    PGCE Community education and Lifelong Learning
    IAG[information advice and Guidance] level 4 – easy and relatively meaningless IMHO
    Doing a post grad careers diploma as well- Intersting so far but hardly spiritually enriching.
    few other industry specfic stuff of no real relevance to this thread.
    OP have your thread back
    EDIt: I have also taught at a Uni[1 year] as well and they are about money. We would take people on science degrees and have to give them maths lessons because they could not calculate an average or undersatnd what one was. As for writing in third person past tense
    I have loaded your gun now fire away 😉

huws
    Free Member

I agree with Elfin. It’s about the love of learning not a specific career path.

Definitely worked for me even though I went into uni knowing that there was a less than 1% chance of me getting the specific job my course was designed for. Loved it for the learning and the life experience and I’d do it again tomorrow even knowing the costs involved and would recommend university to anyone who had a passion for a subject.

ps. Didn’t get the job at the end of it but got some lucky breaks and ended up with some similar work in architecture, which is awesome.

JEngledow
    Free Member

To me there are two questions here:

1) is a degree worth it?

and

2) is Uni worth it?

In my experience the degree isn’t worth it, however the experience of University (leaving home at 18 with the security of being surrounded by hundreds of others in the same boat etc) was well and truly worth it 😉

souldrummer
    Free Member

I went to university as a very mature student and had a great time; wouldn’t have missed the experince for anything. Even at 38 I learned new things about myself and developed as a person, made some great frineds, really enjoyed studying and, having spent the previous 20 years in international banking and playing in rock bands, actually drank less at university than I had previously!! So many of the younger students felt they were on an educational treadmill and were quite demotivated by the end of their second year, whereas us oldies made made distinct life choices in order to be there. Luckily I only had to take out a very small student loan to see me through my bachelors degree and my masters was funded. The over emphasis on the financial recompense of a degree is unfortunate but, in today’s climate I can understand it. Could you get the same life experiences and intellectual development elsewhere for the expense of a degree is still up for discussion, I think.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

politically and philosphically I would not disagree

So why bang on about the material cost/value so much then?

remind us what you do for a living?

Graphic design. I’m planning to move into furniture design too. Not something I ever thought I’d be doing, but I am grateful for the fact that my time spent at uni equipped be to be able to explore my abilities further and to pursue opportunities for self-development and horizon expansion I may not previously have imagined were possible.

Coming from where I do, all those who have persevered with education are doing better for themselves; not necessarily on an economic level, but in terms of their own self-fulfilment, experiences and confidence. I know a number of very frustrated and unfulfilled people who considered Uni a ‘waste of time’, yet now probably wish they had chosen that path. Like one mate who is stuck on a pay grade he can’t rise above, watching people younger and more ‘qualified’ than him progress beyond him.

There’s nothing worse than a wasted intellect. Encourage people to expand their minds before their wallets….

huws
    Free Member

I’m planning to move into furniture design too.

That was the degree with the less than one percent chance of a job that I did. Incredibly rewarding but really difficult to get off the ground and actually make money from. I still do a bit of design on the side but only for fun these days.
    Hopefully should have a shed/workshop of my own soon so I can get back to prototyping and cocking around with power tools.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m not hoping to make any ‘money’, Huw! 😆 Although that would be a welcome bonus..

I believe that my experience in education has enabled me to gain interests in fields I might not have otherwise. Opened up my horizons, expanded the number of possibilities available to me.

That’s what it was all about for me, not money. Although yes, we all need to eat.

Junky; maybe the next time you have some youngster in front of you, unsure about their future, you can perhaps consider their intellectual development as well as their economic progression in life.

_tom_
    Free Member

For me my First hasn’t helped me get a job a year later.. to be fair it was a pretty easy subject (Media Production BSc) but still required a bit of work to get the first, afaics most people didn’t bother and got a 2:2. It was a fun 3 years though and I do know a lot more about the stuff I’m interested in (video, audio, 3d graphics, animation etc)!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Was Uni Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.