Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Was over at Llandegla today and saw……
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

e all agree that Fosters is shite though,right.

I don’t think even STW world can argue against that one.

Christ, are any of you lot going to be there tomorrow, will be there with my 67yo dad on his Trance and in ‘normal’ riding kit, I will be on a 5 and probably wearing knee pads and my 16yo son will be on a voodoo hoodoo in non mtb attire, will we be allowed to ride or scoffed out of the car park? We are only going to enjoy ourselves

At 67 your old bean can push what he wants uphill but the rest of you had better be peddling.

voodoo_chile

Wear what you want ride what you want , certain amount of snobbery coming into our sport ,
    I really don’t care if you have a 4k bike with full body armour and go pro on chest who is a solicitor Monday to friday earning 80K per year or some kid on a bmx with a paper round
    JUST RIDE !!!

badbob
    Free Member

was there sunday, and it was mega windy on the ride up, did see a

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pPP4DV]CIMG7463[/url] by badbobevil, on Flickr

moonboy
    Free Member

Not a 911 and a hard tail? Peasant. #awks

BigJohn

When I had my Cotic Soul re-powdercoated I toyed with the idea of getting some Apollo or Carrera stickers for it.

voodoo_chile

I had v brakes once and a Vauxhall astra

mamadirt
    Free Member

voodoo_chile – Member

Wear what you want ride what you want , certain amount of snobbery coming into our sport ,
    I really don’t care if you have a 4k bike with full body armour and go pro on chest who is a solicitor Monday to friday earning 80K per year or some kid on a bmx with a paper round
    JUST RIDE !!!

😉

voodoo_chile

Eh mamadirt , you calling me an elephant ? 😀

votchy
    Free Member

slight hijack, travelling from the midlands up A5, which is best way, Llangollen A5, A542 to A525 or Wrexham A483 to A525? Will be aiming to get there for 10.

voodoo_chile

I would go to Llangollen and go over the horseshoe pass and do a right at the top of the hill at the roundabout

portlyone

I was at llandegla the other day and saw a guy pushing a £3000 bike up the first climb. He was keeping me company as I walked up to the start of the blue trail, chainless*

*on account of ripping my rear mech off and twisting my drop out while playing in the skills area.

teamslug
    Free Member

I’m going on Sunday I think…on my 26″ with a 1 1/8″ steerer and quick release front wheel…will i die or will someone kill me for not riding the correct bike?….i might put my pj’s on and try to blend in….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

.will i die or will someone kill me for not riding the correct bike?….i might put my pj’s on and try to blend in

See it’s hard who do you want to blend in with? The chavs? The people having fun? the miserable hardcore fun police from STW?
    It’s a tough choice I’d suggest not even admitting to going to Llandegla on here as you will be looked down upon for not slopping round in axle deep mud doing “Proper Mountain Biking”

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Try going round in Lycra, that really gets folks upset.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve been out a few times around my local woods, the wrong side of forty and trying to get more than 3″ of air on my expensive bike. I make a point of stopping by to chat to the locals lads who’ve put a lot of time and effort into building some pretty neat jumps. I’ve never had my stuff pinched or had any abuse from the local kids despite my complete absence of rad skillz.

Fair play to them, you’ll never meet a more enthusiastic bunch of people, regardless of whether they’re on an ancient BMX or a Spesh Rockhopper with Rockshox Domains up front. It’s almost as if the more expensive the bike, the less likely they are to be friendly.

Northwind

stomlinson – Member

We went degla today you see all sorts the best I saw though was a fully decked out Nomad 650b with Enve wheels being pushed up the climb

That was me, on my 20th lap.

I enjoy sneerey people- I got some very funny looks taking my rigid carrera out of the car at innerleithen, even more when I put it on the uplift truck…

bentudder

I quite enjoy a freezing cold Fosters on a hot day. Don’t judge me.

ryan91
    Free Member

Yesterday over Cannock Chase, some guy was chuntering to my friend about her (and me too she reckons) wearing a hydrapack bag, and how unnecessary they are.
    For one, I really couldn’t give a flying fox as to what some random guy thinks, especially given there’s nothing untoward about it. Secondly, this was her first time getting around the Follow the dog trail and she really enjoyed it except for this, so well done for making our sport out as a bunch of elitist todholes.
    Finally, grow a pair and tell me as well rather than just my newbie friend, hardly the manly thing to do is it ?

Rant over, off to get my new Wolves shirt for the next ride out……

tthew

Those elephants are definitely trunk bumping, not high fiving. Frankly I’m shocked.

mancian
    Free Member

How much are Fox 40’s these days? I don’t know as I’m not really into DH.

mancian
    Free Member

Everyone should drink this too:

I do and I’m well fast.

endurokid
    Free Member

Wait, I’m fast, I’m faster than you, my gears brand new…….

tomhoward

stomlinson – Member
    We went degla today you see all sorts the best I saw though was a fully decked out Nomad 650b with Enve wheels being pushed up the climb

I once pushed my carbon solo (with enve wheels, as it apparently matters) up the last climb at Llandegla as I was knackered. I dread to think how much more knackered I’d have been on my 650b (enve wheeled) nomad instead.

Your point caller?

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Does the enduro drink come in different colour tubs so I can colour coordinate with my bike and gear? 😀

v666ern
    Free Member

Your point caller?

Im guessing Enve

😳

endurokid
    Free Member

Why all the Llandegla hate? Is it too hard for people?

v666ern
    Free Member

Yes

where is it again…does it have hills..im out then

endurokid
    Free Member

Wales.

soobalias
    Free Member

is there a spare moderator?
    can you mark the half-term threads please.

stomlinson
    Free Member

@tomhoward I would say if someone spends 1800 quid on wheels but they can’t make them go round they’ve probably wasted their money! But hey ho each to their own, you don’t need to spend a fortune to enjoy riding and go fast, got to respect the boys on their ten year old bikes goin like the bloody clappers! To me it’s not a point of affordability it’s justification I couldn’t justify that kind of money on rims especially when I know people that ride them and that have tried them and say they just ain’t worth the money. Reckon I could justify a set of the Superstar ones though. 😈

votchy
    Free Member

So I took my dad and son to Llandegla yesterday, we rode the red to start, I peeled off and did the black, my dad walked a couple of the steep bits on the red (he is 67), we had a bite to eat then left my lad (he is 16) to play in the skills area while me and dad did the red. Unfortunately my lad stacked it in the skills area while I was approx 30 mins from home on the red. Big thanks to the guy that looked after him and helped him back to the visitors centre, thanks to the guys at the visitor centre for patching him up. Trip to A&E when we got him and luckily no fractures. Great day had by all even my lad who is quite sore today but in good spirits. Definitely worth another trip.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I really don’t understand the issue with people being unfit but having expensive bikes. I have a decent bike and am not particularly fit so do my fair share of walking. When I am fit enough to ride uphill my bad back hurts so much that I often end up getting off the bike and walking due to pain, does this mean I shouldn’t have such a nice bike?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

does this mean I shouldn’t have such a nice bike?

this is STW, you need to decide which glass house to live in first.

Option A – my bike cost me so little build it’s so Non Fashion (modern) that it’s great. I’ve ridden everything on it and would have won both the Olympic XC and World DH on it if I had entered, but I didn’t because I don’t need to prove anything to anyone. – Angry/Grumpy/Condescending to anyone buying anything new or more expensive than Deore

Option B – I like nice shiny things, has an expensive bike and all the gear, looks down on those with older cheaper bikes and wonders how they manage.

Option C – a proper mountain biker, in fact so proper they have given up on mountain bikes and now rides CX as it’s more like it should be.

Option D – Don’t GAS

There are many other subsets including the “I don’t know why you would ride a trail centre/boggy fields/mountains/places I don’t go”
    Anything new is all just a con
    etc.

Pick a niche and go with it or head for Option D.

moshimonster
    Free Member

I would say if someone spends 1800 quid on wheels but they can’t make them go round they’ve probably wasted their money! But hey ho each to their own, you don’t need to spend a fortune to enjoy riding and go fast, got to respect the boys on their ten year old bikes goin like the bloody clappers! To me it’s not a point of affordability it’s justification I couldn’t justify that kind of money on rims especially when I know people that ride them and that have tried them and say they just ain’t worth the money. Reckon I could justify a set of the Superstar ones though.

Bollocks to that! My wife is looking at buying a new bike and having looked at the various options, she’s decided she wants a Juliana Roubion complete with colour matching £1800 Enve wheels. The justification being that she prefers the look of it over the bog standard rims. I doubt she would give a **** what you think, but then she wouldn’t laugh at anyone else riding (or pushing) their own choice of bike either.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’m a D but admire those in option A (without the condescending bit nyway) and despise option B folk for the “looks down on those with older cheaper bikes” bit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you take the condescending out of A you get D.

deviant
    Free Member

I can’t believe people don’t see the humour here… It’s classic ‘all the gear, no idea’…. Lighten up people, it’s nothing to do with envy, it’s much simpler than that… It’s just funny to watch someone at a golf club dressed head to toe like Tiger Woods smash their ball into the rough… It’s laughing as the guy in the RWD car tries to show off and drift but actually spins it on the roundabout… It’s having a chuckle at the bloke pushing a perfectly good bicycle up hill etc etc…. The more mundane explanation that the bloke pushing the bike might have an injury didn’t cross my mind at the time, do most of STW wander through life analysing all their thoughts and actions for fear of ever causing offence?
    Stuff that, sometimes stuff is just funny.

stumpy01

edited – cos I didn’t read the post I was replying to properly…

Carry on….

I_Ache
    Free Member

What if I like shiney bits and don’t GAS?

moshimonster
    Free Member

What if I like shiney bits and don’t GAS?

Yeah I was thinking that too. I really do like shiny bits and I’m a very average rider, but I don’t judge other riders by their kit. I learned that in skiing that kit is not really a good indicator of ability, it’s more an indicator of wealth. Now I’m a much better than average skier and do have all the top gear, but you just know when it’s a big powder day and you are about to drop in on your latest powder cheaters that the old local dude with the 2m x 55mm straight skis, Salomon SX90s and a purple onesy is going to shred the gnarliest line.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Was over at Llandegla today and saw……’ is closed to new replies.