Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • warranty? or not..
  • Leigh2612
    Free Member

Hi STW.
    My road bike has a 5 year warranty.it was bought summer 2012, and sees up to 2.5k miles a year…
    It has never been dropped or crashed but the bottle cage mount screw has started to come away and flap off. It is a mushroom rivet around the screw, is all I can think of to describe it.
    Any ideas if this would typically be warranty?
    It is currently with the company but they are taking their high time about getting back to anyone….
    Cheers all!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Put a new rivnut in….5 minute job.

sillyoldman

Dealer can fix in 2 mins with a Rivnutt tool.

scotroutes

It’s the retailers responsibility to resolve this. What have they suggested?

Junkyard
    Free Member

a non critical part working loose after 7 k ish miles use is not a waranty issue IMHO
    Fixing it would have been very easy

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ask the retailer

Leigh2612
    Free Member

As stated it is with the company….
    It is beyond a rivnut tool apparently. They usually would do that.

sillyoldman

Drill it out and fit a new rivnut then?

taxi25
    Free Member

The “company” do you mean the shop that you bought it from ?
    I wouldn’t be without my bike over something like this, you need one of these, the tool to fit it start at just over a tenner

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Grooved-Serrated-Knurled-Large-Head-Rivnuts-Rivet-Nuts-Nutserts-/251438071410?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&var=&hash=item3a8ae07e72

RustyNissanPrairie

Drilling a rivnut results in the larger swaged internal part falling inside the frame/tubing. Sometimes its then impossible to get them out if the inside of the BB shell or headtube isn’t drilled. A Cannondale Prophet I bought offf Ebay had this problem. I squirted a bit of expanding foam in via the new rivnut to stop the one inside rattling.

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s got a 5 year warranty and a part of the frame has failed. Clear warranty job IMO.

sillyoldman

You can rattle the flared internal part out of BB breather hole.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yeah, I wouldn’t be happy having an integral part of my frame bodged as a fix.

I had a frame replaced under warranty “just” for premature/unexpected corrosion.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

It’s got a 5 year warranty and a part of the frame has failed. Clear warranty job IMO.

POSTED 1 DAY AGO # REPORT-POST

How do you know it hasn’t been overtightened ?

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

I saw a cube with a similar issue once but rather than the rivnut coming loose, the material around the rivnut had come away resulting in a larger hole. That was warranted though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘warranty? or not..’ is closed to new replies.