Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Warranty on a second hand bike
  • chrissideways
    Free Member

How do you stand on buying a second hand bike and still keeping the warranty? I’m just about to buy a second hand Scott(who I know have a fantasic warranty service) the bike has all paperwork and proof of purchase and is still in warranty period.

clubber
    Free Member

Legally you have no warranty. With all the right paperwork, you may be able to blag it. I wouldn’t count on it though.

Stoner
    Free Member

Sale of goods act is only between retailer and original purchaser.

Warranty is an additional contract between manufacturer and original purchaser

Neither are normally transferable to a second owner.
    However, you may have some luck with direct negotiations with Scott in the event of a problem, but I wouldnt count on it at all. Some, like On-One used to do crash replacement discounts on even s/h frames as a gesture of goodwill.

You may also want to agree with the original purchaser that you can get back in touch with them to have them puruse a warranty claim if the frame fails during an agreed period up to the original warranty period, but that puts a bit of onus on the seller that they may not want unless they are rellay trying to ease the deal.

Finally you could blag it too, but may come unstuck if they check credit card details for example.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I wouldn’t rely on any come-back.

The SH price is lower for a reason.

hainman
    Free Member

wouldn’t the warranty be on the actual bike ie parts frame.is it not the same as a car warranty were you still have manufacturer warranty on the bike the same as the warranty is transferable on a car until the warranty runs out,i bought 2nd hand car from garage but still had 9months of the original warranty left even though i was the 2nd person to own it.

shortcut

Most are original purchaser warranty. Unless you are mates with the original buyer and can persuade them to sort it for you but this would be fraudulent so you should not do it!

uplink
    Free Member

is it not the same as a car warranty were you still have manufacturer warranty on the bike the same as the warranty is transferable on a car until the warranty runs out

Nah, that’s just something car manufacturers do to keep the residuals up

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Warranty on a second hand bike’ is closed to new replies.