Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 282 total)
  • Warranty issue with DEVINCI/FREEBORN
  • clubber
    Free Member

“The issue you are having in most cases is due to
    less than 3″ of seatpost being in the frame”

As I said this may be a translation issue. They said only that usually 3″ or less is the issue, NOT that 3″ is the minimum required.

mcgowan
    Free Member

clubber:

1) I sent photos of me on the bike where they can see the gravity dropper, I can send many more photos

2) I told them that I can show the invoice and photos of the gravity dropper to know the lenght of it

3) Same with the shim

amplebrew

Just out of interest, what is the measurement from the top of the seat tube to the bottom weld of the support junction?

mcgowan
    Free Member

esher shore : english is not my native language, sorry, i will explain you better

– I am spanish
    – I bought the frame to Freeborn using internet

clubber
    Free Member

Ok well that clears up the freeborn question 🙂

Can you post pics of the bike?

Either way I can certainly understand their issue with this happening with a shim, particularly if they know that this happens when the seat tube isn’t properly supported.

eshershore
    Free Member

@mcgowan

thanks for the clarification. your english is much better than my Spanish:)

(my mechanic is from Alicante, we have communication issues the past 5 months!)

if Freeborn sold you the seatpost and shim, they should honour the warranty, unless you have bought a frame a little small and raised the seatpost above the bottom of the frame cluster, causing the seat tube stub to crack.

Devinci are well known for standing behind their warranty.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

McGowan, your doing fine mate. I couldn’t, for instance, write on a Spanish site in Spanish.

Loads of people on here use shims right? Does it void your warranty?

mcgowan
    Free Member

Just out of interest, what is the measurement from the top of the seat tube to the bottom weld of the support junction?

sorry, i have been measuring it: 9’5 cms

DanW
    Free Member

1) You used a shim
    2) Using a shim (especially that thick on 27.2-31.6!!!) generally voids warranties plus the Devinci manual quoted here is reasonably clear on this
    3) You have a cracked frame
    4) There is no warranty claim

Why prolong this thread? Especially, why try to drag Freeborn down?

Freeborn have a great reputation for trying to do as much for the customer as possible so rather than moan here talk nicely to them. I would expect that the best outcome might be a reduced price front triangle which would still be a decent outcome given the very thick shim you have been using.

Loads of people on here use shims right? Does it void your warranty?

Generally speaking I would expect it to without even looking at the company blurb- It would be much more of a surprise if it was warrantied

clubber
    Free Member

So pretty marginal then. I think that you may have to accept that this is just an unfortunate situation and chalk it up to experience though I would hope that freeborn offer you a good deal on a front triangle.

mcgowan
    Free Member

if Freeborn sold you the seatpost and shim, they should honour the warranty, unless you have bought a frame a little small and raised the seatpost above the bottom of the frame cluster, causing the seat tube stub to crack

no, i bought the shim in chainreaction or wiggle but freeborn told me that the size was OK for my height

Devinci are well known for standing behind their warranty.

i thought that 😕

mcgowan
    Free Member

pinkbike fórum:

hey

my seat post is too small for my seat tube….can i use a pop can as a shim?….will it void the warranty should something happen?

IRONHORSE:

Thanks for the e-mail. Using a soda can for a seatpost shim will certainly void the warranty on the frame. A local bike shop will be able to provide you with a bicycle specific shim or the correct size seatpost. If you have any other questions let me know.
    Regards,

http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=46850&pagenum=4

amplebrew

mcgowan – Member
    sorry, i have been measuring it: 9’5 cms

If you’ve had a 4″ /10.16cm shim in the frame, that’s not a lot of support below the weld if it measures 9.5cms from the top of the seat tube.

Their website states that they do an accident exchange programme at a ‘low price,’ however much that is.

Might be worth keeping friendly with them and going down that route.

DanW
    Free Member

That is Iron Horse, not Devinci. Also a much thinner shim.

Kona’s reply is much more as most would expect

I would purchase the correct size seat post for your frame. If you damage the frame w/under sized post & trying to shim it- It will void any warranty on the frame

clubber
    Free Member

Shims work fine in some frames…

Jamie
    Free Member

What I don’t get, and I know it’s not very helpful to the OP, a new seatpost can be had for about £20-30. Why risk shimming a £xxx frame, when the right solution is so relatively cheap?

mcgowan
    Free Member

That is Iron Horse, not Devinci. Also a much thinner shim.

Kona’s reply is much more as most would expect

that’s the key, some brands put it clearly in their owner’s manual (Scott, Kona…) and other’s not (Devinci)

Put it clearly in the owner’s manual or assume it

mcgowan
    Free Member

What I don’t get, and I know it’s not very helpful to the OP, a new seatpost can be had for about £20-30. Why risk shimming a £xxx frame, when the right solution is so relatively cheap?

hi Jamie

because my seatpost was a gravity dropper and it costs a “little” more tan 20 pounds 😉

Of course, If I would read anything about in the owner’s manual… but no, there is not anything about it

clubber
    Free Member

They actually do though but I’ll admit that the translation doesn’t seem great.

You can’t write a list of all the things excluded under warranty. As I said above, a qualified mechanic should have spotted that and they do stipulate that.

Jamie
    Free Member

because my seatpost was a gravity dropper and it costs a “little” more tan 20 pounds

Ahh. I see. Thought it was a regular seat post. Apologies.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

If I buy a bike and fit my own headset does that void the warranty?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

and I know it’s not very helpful to the OP, a new seatpost can be had for about £20-30

not if its a dropper post it can’t. Plenty of people on here seem to buy 30.9 Reverbs on the grounds they are “future-proofed” as they can be shimmed up to 31.6.

Going down to 27.2 is a hefty step though. I’ve worked to the “2 inches below the weld” rule for 20 years, dont know where it came from but it seems reasonable to take the stress from the weld, and personally I would never use a shim (if need be I’d sell the uppydowny post and buy a new one).

toppers3933
    Free Member

I would generally expect a traditional frame ie with seat stays, to be fine with a shim. A frame such as this that is only welded at the front to have issues with a shim. Most shims are nylon or some kind of plastic which will stretch and compress as load is placed on it. Much more than the correct sizes seat post would do in the same situation.
    I really think that you should be talking to freeborn/haven about this not moaning on a forum. Attempting to damage their business because you don’t agree with their assessment of what has caused your frame to fail is pretty poor form.

mcgowan
    Free Member

They actually do though but I’ll admit that the translation doesn’t seem great.

I don’t know, but not in my manual

You can’t write a list of all the things excluded under warranty

ummm…other brands write about shims and I think that the shims are very usual in our hobby, and knowing that the seatpost like GD or Reverb costs moe tan 200 pounds…

DanW
    Free Member

Yes, but you would be smart enough to say a qualified mechanic installed it 😉

I really think that you should be talking to freeborn/haven about this not moaning on a forum. Attempting to damage their business because you don’t agree with their assessment of what has caused your frame to fail is pretty poor form.

Just do this and talk nicely to Freeborn again- It is the only hope you have of getting the frame sorted although I would say they are not obliged to do much for you

mcgowan
    Free Member

well said 🙄

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ha, of course. I don’t understand why companies sell frame only options then. I’ve voided all my last 4 builds as I’m not a mechanic.

The new bike is going to a mechanic.

Can I fit my own bb when the one with the bike wears out 😉

Hang on, do Devinci dealers sell mail order bikes?

mcgowan
    Free Member

of course i have been talking with them

for example the first thing that they said me was to send the frame from spain and they will decide if they could raclaim under warranty… not a very friendy answer to start 😐

Jamie
    Free Member

not a very friendy answer to start

How else would you like them to proceed?

scotroutes

Sorry, but how else would you expect them to react?

legend
    Free Member

haha are you **** kidding me? You expected them to do a warranty assessment from 1,000 miles away??

mcgowan
    Free Member

Hang on, do Devinci dealers sell mail order bikes?

you are the one Mosey 😉

speaking about ” professional cycle mechanic ” and selling frames by mail order???? WTF!!!!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

*The bicycle was not entirely assembled by an authorized devinci
    retailer;

Does this mean that any mail order Devinci, that comes in a bike box partly built, has its warranty voided as soon as it leaves the store?

mcgowan
    Free Member

haha are you **** kidding me? You expected them to do a warranty assessment from 1,000 miles away??

no, but first they could asked me some photos, asked about what parts I have been using… a Little bit of the kidness that they show me when I was buying the bike

toppers3933
    Free Member

Standard reply. You won’t find many companies who will process a warranty claim without physically seeing the item in question. You chose to buy from a supplier over the Internet in another country. You should expect to have to send it back in the event of a problem. So that, to me at least, seems totally fair.

legend
    Free Member

That’s the same for any brand – you’ve just got to hope/assume that common sense comes into play, but any mail order bike should just need (along the lines of) bars turned and pedals on so it’s not really being assembled away from the shop

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

True legend but Devinci went to the effort to put “entirely” in the warranty document.

Anyway I’m going off topic.

mcgowan
    Free Member

The bicycle was not entirely assembled by an authorized devinci
    retailer;

Does this mean that any mail order Devinci, that comes in a bike box partly built, has its warranty voided as soon as it leaves the store?

freeborn told me that the frame had warranty for life, they did not talk me about assembly it by an autorized devinci retailer…

DanW
    Free Member

Send it to them and speak to them. Although they have no reason to give you a new frame for free based on what you have said hereyou may well be surprised. If you don’t send it to them and start the possible warranty progress how can you know what the outcome will be?!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah the bike 100% has to be sent in. It’s the risk you take. Just like if I bought a Canyon.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 282 total)

The topic ‘Warranty issue with DEVINCI/FREEBORN’ is closed to new replies.