• This topic has 52 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Warranty issue- what would you do?
  • hora
    Free Member

Ok my high and low speed compression has packed up on my Lyriks bought new this Summer.

The warranty dept has informed me that they are out of the compression units until mid-November.

What would you do? Is it reasonable to speak to the bikeshop and say ‘look you need to sort this’ BEFORE then?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

how?

grum
    Free Member

Yes, they should just give you a new pair of forks. Although it’s you so it was probably your fault anyway 😛

druidh
    Free Member

You can ASK the bike shop whether they have a means of resolving it but they are under no obligation to do so.

wwaswas

What on earth do you do with your forks?

I’ve owned about 20 pairs from all the major manufacturers and never had a problem.

Having said that – 6 weeks is too long I’d be looking for full replacement set of forks or a loan pair in the meantime.

Gotama
    Free Member

Can’t they just take a compression unit out of a pair they have in stock and then sort out the warranty replacement when the units are back in with fishers.

neil853
    Free Member

IMO 6 weeks is unacceptable to wait, surely fishers can do something in that time, loan set or whatever?

hora
    Free Member

What on earth do you do with your forks?

1. Coil Pikes – hydrolocked
    2. 3yrs ago Uturn Lyriks – Moco leak (similar to this I imagine)- unit replaced.
    3. Two-step Pikes. I really don’t want to go there as I’ll start rocking backwards and forwards.

z1ppy

I sucked it up and lived with it for the 4 week I had to wait (though my suipplier was in the US, so no spare for me), though I then spent a fortune on servicing/upgrading another fork to replace it, BUT had to wait as long for that to be returned too…

Luckily I had another complete bike to run.

This is why the n+1 “bikes to own formula” works 😉

flyingmonkeycorps

Two-step Pikes. I really don’t want to go there as I’ll start rocking backwards and forwards.

Was that because you imagined them?

grum
    Free Member

1. Coil Pikes – hydrolocked
    2. 3yrs ago Uturn Lyriks – Moco leak (similar to this I imagine)- unit replaced.
    3. Two-step Pikes. I really don’t want to go there as I’ll start rocking backwards and forwards.

My coil Pikes wore down horribly around the seals and started leaking oil. Rockshox forks = not fit for purpose. Try Fox. 🙂

z1ppy

LOL @ Grum 😀

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Mid-November? I wouldn’t worry about it tbh. It’ll probably take that long to sort out your warranty issue with your terrible turner frame.

hora
    Free Member

The Turner frame isn’t terrible. Who referred to it as that? I’d class it as intriguing whereas I’d class Santa Cruz frames I’ve owned as neutral. Is that fair?

mightymarmite
    Free Member

You can ASK the bike shop whether they have a means of resolving it but they are under no obligation to do so.

I’d disagree with this, if the forks have been serviced to schedule then they would be expected to be fit for purpose, and to last an acceptable amount of time (they grey areas of the argument). It is the retailers responsibility to suck it up when things to go wrong (hence the sale of goods act).

Theres also the section of not being unduly inconvenienced in having the issue resolved (by the retailer) which 6 weeks would push in a normals persons opinion (what the act is judged by).

How you actually go about it is a different matter, rushing the shop waiving acts in the air and screaming for instant satisfaction would get anyones back up. Politely pointing out that you have spent a considerable amount with them, and as such they have a responsibility to ensure you are satisfied would be appreciated, and no doubt result in a happy / repeat customer.

Start with the latter and see what they suggest, start hinting towards the former if they start screaming their responses …

hora
    Free Member

Its not my style in any part of my life to go around screaming, waving receipts and telling people they should serve me.

My missus has done that before and really really made me cringe.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

How do you manage to have so many problems with your frames and forks Hora? Talk about a run of bad luck…

hora
    Free Member

Only Rockshox and a first for a frame. 🙂

binners

You do realise that you have a weird form of munchausen syndrome by proxy, don’t you.

There is absolutely no way on this earth that all the things you say are broken, actually are.

The only thing thats broken is your massive inflatable planet-head!

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Have you looked at the Mico damper to see what’s wrong. They’re not hard to disassemble. Sometimes that shart in the middle is turned too far one way and becomes stuck. Freeing it isn’t hard.

hora
    Free Member

That’d be a good idea but my idea of mechanics involves overtightening and a claw hammer so I don’t really want to touch/void the warranty

binners

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CJFoOSX1ok[/video]

binners

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTPKfixHO6g&feature=related[/video]

binners

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6fZd1f0ikU&feature=related[/video]

binners

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmF5nsc2hjY&feature=related[/video]

brakes
    Free Member

my high speed compression adjuster on my 66s broke off about 4 years ago, can’t say I missed it.
    just wait 6 weeks.

hora
    Free Member

What even if you’d like to adjust your compression to possibly the best setting?

brassneck

Compression damping packed up? But you can still ride them?

One less thing to twiddle, more time to ride.

n+1 bikes should be defined as n including a rigid single speed just to be sure there’s one working.

grum
    Free Member

What even if you’d like to adjust your compression to possibly the best setting?

For you it’s probably best not to mess around with these things anyway. 🙂

binners

n+1 bikes should be defined as n including a rigid single speed just to be sure there’s one working.

Are you familiar with Hora’s track record? He can/does break everything

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfuY5Q0BSBM[/video]

binners

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCYpk0ivqjo[/video]

hora
    Free Member

After Fishers response to me I’m off back to Fox. At least the **** things work. Stopa if you read this I bet your laughing like a drain 😐

Yes- why did I trust another Sram/Lyrik product? Fox is the only way.

binners

You are aware, my balloon-headed friend, that Fox need servicing more often than anything else out there. With your track record, I’ll give ’em a week

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GErfzp4KujM&feature=related[/video]

hora
    Free Member

Get the open bath ones, bit of oil around the stanchions after every ride- cycle them, wipe clean and jobs a good un.

wwaswas

hora – get some of the new Marzocchis – 3 year warranty and no servicing.

bruneep

Rigid forks?

GW
    Free Member

Just ride them until Fishers (or whoever?) have the spares in.
    we all managed just fine for years without any compression damping at all nevermind hi and low speed adjustable compression damping.

binners

Imagine the damage you’d do to a set of forks if you actually rode them, instead of just constantly swapping them from one frame to the next

Maybe that’s the problem? 😉

binners

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NY5HNMCgFg&feature=related[/video]

Mike_D
    Free Member

we all managed just fine for years without any compression damping at all nevermind hi and low speed adjustable compression damping.

^ this.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Warranty issue- what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.