Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Warranty experiences – dents in the frame
  • edward2000
    Free Member

I’m just keen to know if anyone on here has raised the issue with a bicycle shop that their frame has dents on the down tube caused by rock impacts? My intense bike has a couple of small dents on the down tube; my question being is the frame really fit for purpose if it’s become dented/ damaged whilst being used for the purpose it was designed for, ie mountain biking? What did the bicycle shop/imported/manufacturer say? I’m half tempted to highlight the issue with the shop I purchased the frame for but I dont think I would expect a favourable outcome.

aP
    Free Member

Surely that’s wear and tear, and to be reasonably expected. Either that, or they make it out of scaffolding tube and you won’t be able to lift it.

scotroutes

cakefacesmallblock

Man ! It’s a mountain bike. My down tube had a rock hit it a few years ago at Afan and almost punctured the tube. It has two or three lesser ones now as well. Still going strong.
    I really don’t think you’ll get far.
    Are you really going to ask them ?
    No wonder warranties are battened down so tight.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Wear and tear, just be pleased you are having enough fun to kick up some rocks! Oh, and don’t look at the tread on your tyres, it will horrify you soon 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ve ever had a mountain bike that didn’t dink the downtube within the first 5 rides.

That’s what you get for riding in the Peak I guess.

tthew

My frame looks like a battleground between a lump hammer and a shotgun. You’ll be laughed out of the shop.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’d be more concerned with the fact the front and rear wheels don’t line up (you did say it was an Intense? Google ‘Intense alignment issue’ 😕 ).

br
    Free Member

I’m half tempted to highlight the issue with the shop I purchased the frame for but I dont think I would expect a favourable outcome.

I’d guess they’d be laughing about you even before you left the shop.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mate of mine once over tightened my frame on a roof rack denting it, I didn’t realise I could have got a new one under warranty.

nuke

Hmmm going to have to give this one a bit of thought whilst i listen to some tunes

singlesteed
    Free Member

Iirc SC & Intense frames are not alligned straight as it’s something to do with the suss design where it’s offloaded to the non driveside then straitens out under compression.

That’s my comprehension of it die to the vpp design.

To the op out of interest which Intense dealer was this and how old is frame?
    More info pics required !

legend
    Free Member

This ^ is awesumz!!

gamo
    Free Member

😆

Rorschach
    Free Member

Iirc SC & Intense frames are not alligned straight as it’s something to do with the suss design where it’s off loaded to the non drive side then straightens out under compression.

Gonna have to remember this one 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is that what intense told you singlesteed…..

If thats the case how come ive seen them misalighned to the left and the right……

Do you need a left alligned frame if you ride right foot forward and vice versa.

Fupping codswollop.

bol

A mate of mine who works for a specialized dealer put a mahoosive dent in his new stumpy first time out. Spesh, who have one of the best warantees in the business and didn’t even entertain it.

legend
    Free Member

Trail Rat – some of them were obviously went for southern hemisphere markets – duh!

tomhoward

Iirc SC & Intense frames are not alligned straight as it’s something to do with the suss design where it’s offloaded to the non driveside then straitens out under compression.
    That’s my comprehension of it die to the vpp design.
    To the op out of interest which Intense dealer was this and how old is frame?
    More info pics required !

Bahahahahahhahahahahahahaaaaaaahahahhahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that, needed a laugh. Oh, you’re serious?

singlesteed
    Free Member

Go on then clever clogs of stw, who own an Intense that has gone wonky explain !

I’ve had two new Intense’s which haven’t been missaligned as you say, am I the only fortunate one to have had this,,, errrr NO!

Plenty of happy Intense owners out there.

Trail rat might want to bk that up!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s well known intense frames were wonky and they had no qc or real tolerance, nothing to do with vpp so why lump sc in there?

scotroutes

singlesteed – I’m going to throw you a lifeline here. Grab it, and put it all down to a wee bit of misunderstanding.

From Santa Cruz’s FAQ on the Blur XCc

IT LOOKS LIKE THE LOWER LINK IS OFF CENTER IN MY FRAME- IS EVERYTHING OK?

Yes- this is correct. With our newer pivot system, the pivot axle draws the link over to one side in order to properly preload the bearings. This offset is accounted for in the frame design so everything ends up nice and straight in the end.
    I reckon it’s perfectly possible that you/someone has picked this up incorrectly….

singlesteed
    Free Member

Lets all praisd yemighty sc ffs!

Bell
    And
    End

singlesteed
    Free Member

Yes scotroutes, I remember reading that like it was yesterday oh how wrong must I have been to used info from SC website.

Stw bitches to flame my nuts off!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Back it up with what …. Having been a mechanic at a dealer the onyl straight one ive seen was our workshop coordinators m3 …. That was returned a few times to get a straight one because he is a fusspot. Ive seen them left ive seen them right ive seen frames that once take apart for new bearing dont go back together without sideloading the bearings ……..

Extra never once told me the line you have come up with – maybe you can show me that line in some litrature somewhee ?

We were also sc dealers …. And sc seemed to manage to get most of their frames straight enough not to sideload bearings – the odd one slipped through but no where near as bad as intenses , id never even consider an intense on the back of what i saw.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Fwiw … My experiance is to do with the sides of the pivot ending up higher than the other side , not it being left to right out….. Twisted as you may.

What sc describe is accounted for and entirely different to what im talking about,

Jamie
    Free Member

Lets all praisd yemighty sc ffs!

Bell
    And
    End

Stw bitches to flame my nuts off!

You ok, fella?

singlesteed
    Free Member

Each to their own but sure they have sorted allignment issues out nowadays.

singlesteed
    Free Member

No, I have a stinker of a cold/fever thanks for asking

b45her
    Free Member

95% of the people crying warranty this forum are taking the pi55 and trying to get something for nothing, this thread however dives to new depths of utter stupidity.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it be like driving a new car out of a showroom & taking it back with a stone chipped windscreen?

Yer avin a larrf incha?

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I think I can beat this one. A workmate bought a new bike (much lighter than his old one)to take part in a combined running/mountainbike event at which he’d been timed out the previous year.

On enquiring how he’d fared I was told he’d timed out again but was considering taking the bike back to the dealer as it was not as fast as it should have been. He was serious by the way but I think my laughter persuaded him otherwise.

nickc

OP, warranties are mostly there to help you out with manufacturing issues, stuff like paint, bad welding, misaligned frames that sort of stuff.

If you’re worried about rock strikes IIRC there’s a guy that fabricates really smart carbon rock guards that will protect your investment. Or ask your bike shop to see if you can fit one of the rubberised guards that Intense fit to their carbon frames.

Singlesteed, great that you love your Intense, that they are really cool bikes is not in doubt here, but their QA really needs a shake-up,

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

My down tube had a rock hit it a few years ago at Afan and almost punctured the tube

Only almost? Dont ask Pedalhead of this parish what a bit of chilterns flint did to the downtube of an expensive Ti frame… 😯

singlesteed
    Free Member

Its odd how the op hasn’t replied to justify or explain further!

Rolls ….

thegreatape
    Free Member

Probably waiting for you to stop swinging your handbag around 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Probably waiting for you to stop swinging your handbag around

Mascara running down their face, and bottle of mid-range gin in hand…

thegreatape
    Free Member

Always

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’ve had two new Intense’s which haven’t been missaligned as you say,

iz confuzed. You said VPP bikes were ‘misaligned’ deliberately, so does this mean that yours, which isnt, is therefore out of alignment?

edward2000
    Free Member

Because it’s so far off topic I’ve lost interest

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Warranty experiences – dents in the frame’ is closed to new replies.