Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Warranty Advice Needed
  • bgd
    Free Member

Just a quick question regarding warranty expectations. If your frame was under warranty and you thought it was cracked and the bike manufacturer couldn’t confirm or deny it but recommended you didn’t ride it would you expect them to replace it?

t_p
    Free Member

If they have recommended that you don’t ride it then there is obvious doubt in their mind, in which case I would expect them to replace it yes! Or at least to give you a crash replacement frame offer at some silly good deal price!
    If they have said not to ride it then surely that is an admission of a problem even if they don;t say so in so many words, or am I getting that wrong?

legend
    Free Member

when you say “couldn’t confirm or deny” do you mean that they have actually had a first hand look at it? Or is it just from photos/description?

bland

as legend says as that would make a huge difference

bgd
    Free Member

They said they don’t want to say it’s safe to ride in case something happens. The frame is no longer available, I have been offered discount on a full bike, just trying to gauge if this is acceptable.

bgd
    Free Member

The warranty department have the frame.

legend
    Free Member

EDIT: question already answered.

If they have it, and wont guarantee its fine, they should be replacing imo

bgd
    Free Member

Yes, the recommendation came after they inspected it.

t_p
    Free Member

To me if they are already offering a ‘Crash replacement’ then that is an admission that something is wrong!

t_p
    Free Member

And if they are admitting something is wrong (that is now wear and tear of crash damage) then they should replace it under warranty imo!

I assume they have not accused you of crashing the bike??

legend
    Free Member

Of course, the other question is are they saying that you damaged it?

bgd
    Free Member

The discount was offered as ‘a gesture of goodwill’.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Name, shame and flame please.

It’s the rules.

bgd
    Free Member

I used a bit of wet and dry to rub the paint back a bit to see if I could tell whether it was a crack or not to hopefully prevent having to send the frame back. They say this is preventing them from telling if there is a problem or not.

legend
    Free Member

bgd – Member
    The discount was offered as ‘a gesture of goodwill’.

Because you **** it? Not convinced we’ve got the full story here, especially before calls to name and shame

t_p
    Free Member

What cynic-al said!!

bgd
    Free Member

They haven’t asked if I damaged it (I didnt, I found what possibly looked like a crack while I was cleaning it). No names just yet, suffice to say it’s a big company with what I thought was a very good customer service reputation.

t_p
    Free Member

I used a bit of wet and dry to rub the paint back a bit to see if I could tell whether it was a crack or not to hopefully prevent having to send the frame back. They say this is preventing them from telling if there is a problem or not.

Ah now, If you’ve done this then they are probably in the right here! As soon as you start ‘tampering’ with a frame like that then it can void warranties and a gesture of goodwill is a good offer and should probably be accepted!

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

What do your bike shop say regarding it? That’s who your warranty is actually held with so they should be able assist you.

bgd
    Free Member

That’s what they seem to be saying but seems harsh to me. My cables have worn paint away, would that void warranty?
    If a gesture of goodwill is all they legally need to offer that’s fine, I just need to know what is reasonable to expect

bgd
    Free Member

The shop and bike company are the same – probably gives it away.

t_p
    Free Member

That’s what they seem to be saying but seems harsh to me. My cables have worn paint away, would that void warranty?

The fact is, cables rub the frame as part of riding and can’t be helped (although if it wore a hole right thought that would likely be wear and tear and neglect and not covered) but as you have intentionally taken the paint away then it will go against you. it seems a bit harsh but unfortunatrely id the way it works in most cases. I used to deal with all warranty claims in a bike shop in my previous job and have seen this happen before. as soon as a frame is ‘altered’ by the customer then it can often void the warranty. This would include a re-spray, removing paint, drilling holes and some cases servicing things like forks yourself instead of getting an authorised mechanic/dealer to do it.

carlos
    Free Member

As it’s a ‘gesture of good will’ surely it should be what do you feel is acceptable for age, wear and tear, cost new etc..and not what you expect to receive. If your happy with the offer then it’s acceptable, if your not happy is it because your being greedy or the brand is taking the p..s?

What sort of values are we talking for your bike and the cost of the discounted replacement?

bgd
    Free Member

Sounds like that’s that then. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. Next time I’ll leave well alone.

bgd
    Free Member

The discount depends on the rrp of the chosen bike. My model is no longer available and the equivalent is not something I would want as it’s only available as a 29er. Although it’s only my frame that’s damaged I am not able to choose a frame only option.

t_p
    Free Member

Next time I’ll leave well alone

Having dealt from the shop’s side of this before I think that this is a good move. Let the shop see it in it’s ‘as ridden’ state and make their own fully informed decision.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m guessing the issue is that you have 26″ wheels and said company only has 29″ bikes – tbh your bike probably snapped because it was 26″…. this would mean that if they gave you a frame it would be useless to you without spending lots of money.

It may be best to accept the offer and flog on ebay.

bgd
    Free Member

I don’t think I have much choice. I’m not expecting something for nothing, only what is fair.

alexpalacefan

Warranty or not, the sale still comes under the Sale of Goods Act.

This requires it to be:

Satisfactory Quality
    As described
    Fit for purpose
    Last a reasonable length of time.

So if your MTB only lasted for 18 months I would say that’s not good enough, irrespective of whether you’ve sanded to look at the crack.

Don’t be fooled by the “you’ve invalidated the warranty” BS, that is seperate to your rights, as defined in the SAG (and other acts).

I’d still be at this if you think the bike is still within a reasonable lifespan.

APF

Northwind

In court, they’re not likely to be able to defend rejecting your claim on the grounds of having removed paint- since of course, you did that after the issue arose, and cause traditionally comes before effect. But what it does do is muddy the waters and give them room to wriggle- nobody really wants to have to drag it out.

To be quite honest though it does feel like they’re reaching for handy excuses- removing paint shouldn’t make it any harder to check for a crack.

bgd
    Free Member

The reason I removed the paint was to make it easier to identify a crack. I would have thought they would have the technology to identify a problem.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I would have thought they would have the technology to identify a problem.

Eh Bob is that a crack, yeah I reckon thats a crack. It’s Cracked!
    Most likely used the far out tech of looking at it.

scotroutes

I’m none the clearer but it’s not important. Are they suggesting that the crack they found was caused by your sanding the paint off?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s Specialized (or maybe on one)

Jamie
    Free Member

…suffice to say it’s a big company with what I thought was a very good customer service reputation.

Not Planet-X/On-One then.

BOOM!

scotroutes

Or an online company like Canyon?

Edit: Specialized it is… http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/biggest-tyre-on-a-specialized-camber

orangeboy
    Free Member

If it is Spesh I always thought the the concept stores where privately owned and just signed up to be a concept store rather than run by Spesh
    The one that closed in Bristol was owned by someone other than Spesh

If it’s not Spesh just ignore this

scotroutes

TBH, I thought that too – but I could also be wrong.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The Chester one was just an extension of the shop next door.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Warranty Advice Needed’ is closed to new replies.