Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Warranty advice
  • Susie
    Free Member

Bought a niner air 9 frame in October 2011, this was the old design and bought headset and bottom bracket at thesame time. The frame has cracked and was sent back before Xmas. It is a fault so will be replaced under warranty. However, the design has now changed and the bottom bracket and headset will no longer fit. I also bought non tapered forks and the frame now has a tapered head tube, but assume the there is a headset for this. I’m not happy if I’m going to have the extra cost of these items. Do I have any right to have these replaced for free? Do I have any right to a refund? Not happy with niner at all as the boyfriend’s frame also broke last year (his was out of warranty). Thought about replacing it with an mcr as the parts will fit this and being steel thought it might be a bit stronger, but they’ve said theyve got a replacement air 9 in now.

mrmo
    Free Member

very much doubt it, warranty will almost certainly not cover consequentials. you have had 18months out of it so won’t get refund etc either.

just buy an adapter for your fork to fit the new frame.

K

You have got a newer generation frame for the cost of some consumable parts that you will replace at some point.
    Cheaper than buying a new frame.

jota180
    Free Member

If you bought the headset and BB as part of the same deal, I think you have a reasonable expectation to have them replaced too.
    If you just bought them as extras, probably not

nickjb
    Free Member

As you have a good chunk of use you would only be entitled to a partial refund, if anything. You’ll get more for the ‘new’ replacement frame on ebay.

tomhoward

If you hate niner, sell the new frame and buy one you want/your bits will fit with the proceeds?

Also, they will have kept some of the older frames back to honour warranty issues. So you never know, you might get the old style back.

hora
    Free Member

I see where you are coming from but you have been given an improved product. I had my turner Five frame replaced with a new model which required a new/different headset to my King. I was too happy to complain 8)

MadPierre

When I had a frame replaced under warranty changes in the design over a year meant that the front (XTR) mech and rear hub no longer fitted.

They were all supplied by the same shop with the frame and whilst they technically didn’t have to replace them they did send me a new XTR mech (in return for the old one) and a spacer kit for the hub.

Basically they gave bloody good service and sorted me out and I have continued to shop there and would recommend them to anyone. Thank you Mark @ the bike chain

Mikkel
    Free Member

When my Specializes XC FSR cracked last year, Specialized replaced it with a Camber.
    They asked what size for i had on the XC and when heard it was a 100mm said straight away “oh we will have to give you a new fork too then” as the Camber was designed for a 120mm
    Which they did, and also send a new front mech as that is direct mount so my old one would not fit.

Susie
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I did suspect the warranty wouldn’t cover them, but thought I’d see what people thought before I give the bike shop a ring. Only had 13 months use, they’re Hope (so not cheap) and I’m not a hard user, I wouldn’t expect to be replacing them for a couple of years.

I did think about getting the replacement frame and selling it, but thought I’d lose too much from it. The seller wouldn’t get a warranty as it’s 2nd hand and i’ve not sold that much on ebay, so not much feedback, so didn’t think I’d get what it’s worth.

Hora, when I ordered the frame, I could have waited and had the new design, but I decided that wasn’t what I wanted (didn’t want a pressfit bottom bracket). Also, I’d seen the frame I bought in the shop (white built up with red parts) and decided that’s what I wanted (I’m a girl, colour is important).

Mikkel, that’s fantastic service.

I’ll call the bike shop and see what they say.

amt27
    Free Member

When my Specializes XC FSR cracked last year, Specialized replaced it with a Camber.
    They asked what size for i had on the XC and when heard it was a 100mm said straight away “oh we will have to give you a new fork too then” as the Camber was designed for a 120mm
    Which they did, and also send a new front mech as that is direct mount so my old one would not fit.

snap (not the frame, the situation) with a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, got new forks and kept the old,

Mikkel
    Free Member

Yep i also kept the old fork.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Warranty advice’ is closed to new replies.