Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Warrantied Pikes, and Diamonds… try the 36's now!?
  • fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I bought Pikes, because they get good reviews and are about half the price of the alternatives.
    They developed a CSU creak, and were warrantied
    Decided to try something different, and really liked the sound of the OTT feature on the diamonds.
    They have a clicking/rattle in the first few mm of travel, and have been told that’s not normal, send back for refund or replacement..

In the 2 rides I had on them, they are either better or I convinced myself that they were better than the Pike, the OTT does seem to do what it says on the tin…

Do I give them another go, or try 36’s I’m a bit concerned over reports of harshness from the 36’s when your not going race pace and just having a easy ride…

oh no, not another #whatenduroforkformy#soendurobike!!!

butterbean
    Free Member

They have a clicking/rattle in the first few mm of travel, and have been told that’s not normal, send back for refund or replacement..

I suggest a bit of Google.

It’s quite a well documented issue that there is no fix for.

woodster

Bos or Manitou.

Unless you’re rolling on 29s like me, in which case I think I’d go with the 36s.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigjim

MRP Stage

daver27
    Free Member

get the 36’s if you can.

they take a bit of setting up and bedding in (volume spacers and damping tweaks) but once there, they track better than any other single crown fork i’ve ever used and once bedded in are as plush as anything else out there, depending on how you’ve got them setup.

only thing is volume spacers are hard to get from Mojo as they rarely seem to have stock.

Just bear in mind they also can have a rattle, this is a check valve and is replaceable under warranty (had mine done and been perfect ever since over 8 months of use) no big deal.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Yeah, Ive read about this as a “known” issue, I emailed DVO and spoke to the shop.

DVO never replied, the shop said that it could cause problems and send them back, don’t continue to ride them.

As soon as the shop say that, if i had further problems down the line they might not honor the warranty was my concern.

sounds really quite bad – https://youtu.be/e2DT0tjRJZ0

Dan
    Free Member

That sounds like the negative spring has become unseated – check out the travel adjustment video on the dvo website to see what I mean. It shouldn’t happen by itself of course …

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have the new 36 and they are amazing. Far better than any of the pikes I have had which in honesty I have never liked. They always feel a bit cheap and over hyped. I haven’t even adjusted the settings on the 36 and they feel so good I may not bother.

rcr1303
    Free Member

Had a pair of dvo’s since March! Had nothing but issues from the start
    First the topping out issue which seems to be a commen problem
    Sent them back and got this sorted……for a few weeks…..then the fork developed a very annoying rattle as if the damper was loose or as mentioned before the negative Spring!! Took them apart and all seemed OK.
    After phoning silverfish and getting fobbed of a number of times finally got somewhere and they fitted a new upgraded OTT unit.
    Apparently they have had a massive batch from dvo to cure the problem, so any of you guys with issues give them a call and kick up a fuss!
    A fork of this price and quality shouldn’t be as **** as they are!
    Now mine are back I must say they feel amazing!!

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Loving my MRP Stage.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Happy ‘new style’ 36 user here.

rickon
    Free Member

I’m a bit concerned over reports of harshness from the 36’s when your not going race pace

This comment would suggest that you’re not going to notice the difference between any of those forks. They’re all good, and unless you’re smashing descents, your decision should be based on price, looks and colour.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Seems like a bit of an obtuse comment…
    He forks will go on a bike that will do uplift days, happy enough on the blacks at stiniog, will be raced, and will go out on big multi hour days…

theres a thread on mtbr where lots of people have complained about them feeling very harsh, so doesn’t seem an unreasonable concern on a bike that isn’t going to only going to be a race or uplift bike…

for what it’s worth I’ve ridden devilles, pikes, DVOs in this travel bracket, and can definitely tell the difference between them.

mboy
    Free Member

Another recommendation for the MRP Stage here

Had one on my bike for 6 months now, it’s been faultless. Had a Pike previously, but even with plenty of tokens in I could never get it set the way I liked. By contrast the Stage is more supple, has much better ramp up control that you can adjust on the fly, and it’s easier and cheaper (the spacers come in the box) to adjust the travel should you need to. The Stage is also a little shorter axle to crown than the Pike, so you can run it 10mm longer travel for a similar ride height, and the axle is so quick and intuitive to use. The service intervals are a relatively bonkers 200hrs too, which means an average rider actually might get near enough a season between services unlike some other makes!

rickon
    Free Member

Seems like a bit of an obtuse comment…

You’ve elaborated now 😉

You’re gonna want to be able to adjust high and low speed compression damping, and adjust volume if you’re doing that range of riding.

Generally I’d be aiming for a fork that’ll work very well at the extreme of use, as if its a little harsh on bumbly stuff it doesn’t matter, but if it can’t take big hits on an Uplift day, then that’s a real PITA.

I’m surprised with the Fox 36 comments, as its by far the plushest fork I’ve ridden. And you can manually adjust the compression damping, so if its harsh, you can do something about it.

Have you considered the Lyric?

ajantom

I’ll throw a curveball into the mix…..have you thought about Marzocchi 350CRs or 350NCRs.

I’ve got some 350CRs, and after a bit of bedding in they are displaying that famous Marzocchi plushness. A bit simple on the adjustment features side, but IMO that is generally to the good. Travel adjustment is by internal spacers (140/150/160) and the CR adjustment works well for stopping diving on the climbs.

8/9 months use so far and they have been excellent.

Dan
    Free Member

thanks for the heads up about the ott upgrade rcr1303, a cure to the noisy chatter from these forks is really news

noahhowes
    Free Member

If you’re happy spending money on further upgrades when service time comes the Push kit for the newer 36s smooths out the slight high speed compression kick. It really wasn’t much of an issue anyway IMO I just wanted to see what the difference was.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve said on here about my 36’s (2016 fork) being just a bit nasty. Good for racing, not so good for normal riding (which is 95% of the time in reality).

Also, possibly the most unreliable fork i’ve ever owned.

That said, I wouldn’t have a DVO. There are a couple of them in my extended riding group – both bitching about the rattle & they look like they were painted by Stevie Wonder & his masonry brush. I’ve done better rattle can jobs myself in the past.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I decided to give them another go, as figured i don’t have anything to lose really as the shop has been really good about replacing them.

If I have the same problem with the next pair I’ll have a look inside them myself at the negative spring and try to resolve, if there is still bother then I think I’ll be going down the 36 route.

rickon
    Free Member

Also, possibly the most unreliable fork i’ve ever owned.

That’s weird as the shop reports I’ve heard are that theyve got an incredibly low failure rate.

Maybe they’re just ridden by numpties 🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

A shop that’s trying to sell you something?

To be fair, you do t hear many reported issues, but 3 full rebuilds in about 5 months of use in my experience = dogturd reliability. IMO it’s no better than any of the older RC2 forks. Fox just don’t seem to be able to make a fork that’s supple in its initial stroke, that then doesn’t blow through the rest of its travel far too easily.

Of other forks I’ve ridden, the Pike, Lyrik & Deville are all more supple. The latter two have much better mid stroke support and bottom out IMO. The Pike mostly feels better than the 36 apart from at the limit, when it gets a bit overwhelmed.

I’m definitely a numpty though.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Warrantied Pikes, and Diamonds… try the 36's now!?’ is closed to new replies.