Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 234 total)
  • ***WARNING*** UK Bike Store
  • ThePinkster

After re-reading through all this (not got much work on today) I think that although the OP may have reason to be upset when the part he ordered didn’t arrive when promised (whether he paid for it or not) and his response was rather over the top (I can’t really see a lot of LBS’s making a fortune by over charging slightly for P&P, generally speaking there’s not a lot of profit in it), what I still don’t understand is –

Why was he advertising a frame for sale, knowing it needed a bearing replacing, before the bearing had arrived/been replaced?

Surely all this grief would have been avoided if he’d just replaced the bearing before advertising?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

mostly fat middle aged IT workers sat staring at a computer all day venting their frustrations at the world on STW!

not to generalise of course 😉

im just bored at work, but not in IT, nor fat, nor venting my frustrations

godzilla
    Free Member

Called UKBS a couple of days ago to order some Hope spares, they didn’t have them in so ordered them from Hope for me, just got a dispatch note saying they are on the way to me. I have always had great service from them.

Kryton57

flyingfox – Member
    Every time I read this forum, it makes me wonder why we have a bike shop at all

But FF, reputations stick. For example over a year ago I talked to you or one of your colleagues about Transition Bandits. You, and another more local bike shop gave me a very positive experience by going out of your way to help despite the fact I bought a Yeti in the end (it was a price point issue). I still want a Transition, and you’ve stuck in my mind to give you a call when I’m ready to buy – which may not be for a while but still…..

This may be a UK thing but we are often not good at showering praise on people. I’d refer you no problem. So its worth you being here for that referral surely… Its unlikely you get a referral from the South East without t’internet….

ffej
    Free Member

Just to add (nothing) to this thread, I’ve used UK Bike Store before and they were fine.. I am also (I discovered this after I bought from them) only about 2 miles away from their warehouse. I can confirm that there was a shed load of snow falling on Fri and I’d be very surprised if this didn’t effect the dispatch… We had about 90% of staff miss work that day.

Marko

So . . .

Royal Mail Special Saturday Delivery

Means?

What?

UK Bike store just need to bite the bullet and refund the OP.

Marko

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

marko – plus 1 – end of thread

ransos
    Free Member

UKBS have always been good for me. Given the weather we’ve had I think they and the Royal Mail did remarkably well to get the item delivered so quickly. You should be thanking them.

legend
    Free Member

Marko – Member
    So . . .
    Royal Mail Special Saturday Delivery

Means?
    What?
    UK Bike store just need to bite the bullet and refund the OP.
    Marko
    POSTED 26 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    Oscillate Wildly – Member
    marko – plus 1 – end of thread
    POSTED 13 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

It DOES NOT guarantee the shipping date, it covers only the method of delivery.

Apparently my posts are invisible today

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

legend – how can you offer guarenteed delivery saturday, if you cant guarentee it will be posted out in time? WTF?? 😆

Marko

It DOES NOT guarantee the shipping date, it covers only the method of delivery.

Why did UK Bike store agree to a Royal Mail Special Saturday Delivery if they were not prepared to dispatch the item in time?

Somebody screwed up at UK Bike Store. I have some Humble Pie here. I can send it ‘Special Saturday Delivery’ for an additional cost*

Marko

* Sorry I can’t guarantee when I will dispatch your Humble Pie, but trust me, it will be sent by Saturday Special Delivery.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Did you not notice all the snow we’ve had?

oldgit
    Free Member

Looks like it left Friday on a guaranteed service.
    The service has a guarantee.
    They don’t guarantee it to turn up on time.
    It went from the SW where they recognize problems with collections/deliveries due to the weather

Yes mildly annoying, but I think I recall that once in the whole history of the postal service that once another letter didn’t arrive on time, put it this way, if I needed life saving drugs that were at the other end of the country I wouldn’t use the post.
    Then again I wouldn’t sell something that had parts missing or needed parts, though I assume you pointed this out in the ad?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Asked a while back but never saw an answer. Was the order online or phone? Expecting next day delivery in the current UK weather is ambitions.

But the bigger point relates to the massively out of proportion threads on here recently. Treat the forum like a pub if you walked in kicking off like that you’d be out the door in 2s.

fasthaggis

Did you not notice all the snow we’ve had?

Yes ,and there is more bearing down tomorrow ,so order now .

A lot of special Saturday deliveries may(or may not) be held up.
    HTH

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Looks like it left Friday on a guaranteed service.
    The service has a guarantee.
    They don’t guarantee it to turn up on time.
    It went from the SW where they recognize problems with collections/deliveries due to the weather

Yes mildly annoying, but I think I recall that once in the whole history of the postal service that once another letter didn’t arrive on time, put it this way, if I needed life saving drugs that were at the other end of the country I wouldn’t use the post.
    Then again I wouldn’t sell something that had parts missing or needed parts, though I assume you pointed this out in the ad?

i think you’ll find it does guarentee delivery before 1pm on saturday, hence why he paid for it, regardless of weather conditions, if they were that bad then UK B/S should have disabled the special SATURDAY delivery option knowing the weather conditions, how is the buyer suppose to know what the area where UK b/s is based is like weather wise? it could be snowy up north and 6 degrees raining where they are based for all he knows

royal mail guarentee it before 1pm saturday if thats the delivery method paid for

this did not happen, therefore he has a right to have his money back, UK B/S not their fault so should refund the customer the money paid for the service and then themselves claim it back off Royal Mail if need be

Im sure the customer could actually claim the money back off royal mail himself, but why should he need to when he had a contract with UK B/S?

FWIW i’ve had this with evans cycles before and as much i dont like using them, they were super quick in offering me a refund for the postage.

it makes no difference whether the guy is a trader or not so a bit immature way of using that against him, he paid for a service and didnt get it, simple as that

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s guaranteed so he has some comeback, that’s what the guarantee is for.
    The bike shop can’t second guess what the Royal mail can or can’t do.

Treat the service like a product you buy new with a guarantee, if an item is guaranteed it still might not work or be broken, then you call in the guarantee.

No ones saying it’s not a pain.
    If it were me I’d let it go or ask for an inner tube or something.
    The only person down on this whole deal is the person that bought the bike or frame.

ssjeff
    Free Member

This forum(or its members) just get worse get over it its £7 and you still sold the bike.
    I would assume that you took the same attitude with the member of staff as your opening post and topic header.
    I would have told you to do one if you spoke to me like that !

oldgit
    Free Member

Guaranteed next day / road tax 😐

DezB
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences, but: when i phoned the shop i spoke to Dave Kirk the sales manager.
    I’ve spoken to him too. I’ve stood in the car park chatting to him while my mate test rode one of their bikes round the car park.
    I bet not one person on this forum could say that about CRC!

Sandwich

Strangely looking at the invoice UK BikeStore did the OP a favour. Their rate for 1pm saturday delivery is over £9 (posted on page 2 or 3) someone at the shop realised this wasn’t going to happen and charged weekday next-day postage to save him nearly £3.

Well done that operative!

edlong
    Free Member

I’d not come across UK Bike Store before this thread, but based on the experiences of people on here, I’ll surely be looking to buy from them in future – thanks for bringing them to my attention, OP!

watsontony
    Free Member

this threads got my vote for he most pointless thread off all time.

op. yes you should of received your crap sooner. unfortunately you did not. its not the end of the world no one is going to die. I doubt there will be a knock on effect that would cause this incident to affect you life in any other way.

OP where are you based? i know a really good bearing suppliers in the north west. he is also open on saturdays

Kryton57

watsontony – Member
    this threads got my vote for he most pointless thread off all time.

Sure?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/if-youre-thinking-of-winter-car-tyres

Dogsby

I used to live in Gosport and visited UK Bikestore for a particular bit for my road bike; they were friendly and very helpful. They also had an excellent bargain bin!

Dogsby

grtdkad

Happy to report that as a result of all of the recommendations on here I placed my first order with UK Bikestore. Ordered online at around 11pm on Wednesday night. Paid £1 standard postage and it arrived in Worcestershire this morning (Friday).
    Thanks chaps ! (UK Bike Store and Royal Mail).

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

This thread has reminded me why I’m coming on here less and less…

andyl
    Free Member

Has anyone seen this yet posted on facebook in response to the OPs post?

David Kirk: Sorry for the delay the snow caused to your order.

You paid for the order to be dispatched by special delivery Saturday and due to the heavy snow we had on Friday royal mail had cancelled their collection from us so we actually drove the priority mail to the depot ourselves in the afternoon so that they were all dispatched on time as promised.

With the best will in the world royal mail and the other couriers we use can’t prevent the snow and none of them can guarantee delivery times in those conditions because it can make their operation impossible. Normally if an item is delivered late we claim for them and refund the shipping cost to the customer but since all couriers remove their guarantees in the snow you can’t claim for late delivery. Special delivery items are still handled as priority in all conditions though so you would still have received it faster than if it were sent by normal post.

We would love to be able to offer postage refunds under these circumstances but that would ultimately mean sending everything out for free on a priority service when it snows which we couldn’t afford to do as we already subsidise the price of the royal mail service you used by £3 per order. We could raise the price of the service to go beyond its terms as you are suggesting, but we believe most of our customers would prefer cheaper postage for most of the year, rather than being able to claim for items that arrive late during extreme weather.

allthepies
    Free Member

Humble pie anyone ?

Kryton57

That explains the £3 differential then…..

I take back what I said, my apologies….

jekkyl

lol @ sir name….. never seen that one before.

UK Bike Store offer an honest, reliable, informed and passionate service, and Dave Kirk is the embodiment of those values.

Thanks for the publicity.

His honest (albeit slightly biased) wife x 😀

boblo
    Free Member

Good for you. I wondered when you’d pick up on all the ‘noise’.

wwaswas

His honest (albeit slightly biased) wife x

🙂

good username too!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

nice response – but if royal mail removed the guarentee due to the snow, why didnt UK Bikestore just remove the saturday delivery option from the site? as i said before the guy that bought the parts may not have known the weather conditions where UK BS are based, an easy option would have just to remove the option of saturday delivery surely given the UK BS knew the royal mail stance/conditions?

anyways as i said ive always had good service from them, it wouldnt stop me using them anyways as ive always found there delivery almost as quick as merlin… and thats a good honest response from them, just think it could have been avoided anyways…

andyrm
    Free Member

Something that the people saying “UKBS should have removed the Saturday option” are overlooking is that maybe the guys in the shop ain’t web designers? They might not even have access to the back end of the site even if they DID know how to do it.

And assuming that even came to mind with all the disruption going on from the weather (I’d assume staff shortages, stock not arriving etc etc), there’s then the assumption that whoever does do updates on the website was able to get to work and do it.

But in the end it all boiled down to RM cancelling the collection. I think it is safe to say UKBS went far above the call of duty to deliver stuff to the depot in bad weather.

Ultimately comes down to an unreasonable customer leaving things too late, then acting like a hormonal teenage girl when the odds he stacked against himself didn’t work.

I’m going to be down UKBS’s way in a couple of weeks visiting friends. Must make a point of calling in and seeing “Sir” Dave Kirk 😉

lemonysam
    Free Member

edit: ^ That

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

well no matter whether they had access to the website or not, its not the customers problem is it, the option was there and the customer chose to use it? the customer still paid for what he thought was saturday deliver, if that wasnt an option then it should’nt have been on…

at very worst why didnt the shop just ring/email him to let him know this was the case right after he ordered?!?!?!?!

lemonysam
    Free Member

well no matter whether they had access to the website or not, its not the customers problem is it, the option was there and the customer chose to use it? the customer still paid for what he thought was saturday deliver, if that wasnt an option then it should’nt have been on…

I don’t think ecommerce stores work the way you think they do.

andyrm
    Free Member

at very worst why didnt the shop just ring/email him to let him know this was the case right after he ordered?!?!?!?!

As has been said – e-commerce store systems aren’t the IT equivalent of a little man sat in front of a computer checking each order individually as they come through. It’s all automated.

And the “not the customers problem” thing really boils my p*ss. It’s also not the retailer’s problem. Ultimately I would say it is down to the Almighty, deciding to chuck down some snow and mess things up for us all. Oh hang on, this is STW, we don’t do belief in higher forces……. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 234 total)

The topic ‘***WARNING*** UK Bike Store’ is closed to new replies.