Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • !! !! WARNING !! !! TRAPS AROUND HOPE VALLEY
  • iain1775
    Free Member

^^ or a large notice, in the window, visible to non bikers too, it affects all countryside users as much be bike horse or foot

andeh

It’s just not acceptable is it. I think more needs to be made of this around the Peak, let other users know what’s going on and that they could kill people by being so bloody short-sighted. Print off some fag-packet-shock-photo style posters and spread them around?

simonbowns
    Free Member

yep – exactly what I’m thinking, but wanting some further info/reports first.

Superficial
    Free Member

Can’t the Edale MRT / similar put up (made up) notices about a fatality. It would, at least, cause some serious soul-searching on the part of the trap-setter?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

We have someone doing the big logs thing in our local woods, and the even sadder thing is 99.9% of the bikers in their are young kids.

fatnslow
    Free Member

Wires at head height, Walls on corner exits,branches across tracks.It sounds to me like these clowns
    are active all over the Hope Valley. Similar things have appeared around Stoney Middleton, Eyam & Derwent Edge but have escalated since the tv programme about Chertpit Lane & Chapel Gate. I’d love to catch ’em in the act & show them where to put their nranches, stones & wires!

andyc172
    Free Member

Appalled by this…

Have you reproted it to @DerbysPolice ?

Doug
    Free Member

Just move the wire to about 3″ off the ground.

teasel
    Free Member

seem these around the Chilterns

Where, exactly…?

dannyh
    Free Member

The type of cowardly scum that does this is just the type that will bleat to the police if someone does catch them at it and kicks the crap out of them.

Still, don’t let that hold anyone back.

Fluff66
    Free Member

@ chrisfixed

Chris – Please can you report this to the police if you haven’t already done so. Reporting it is really important for dealing with this stuff.

We had similar problems up at Dovestones earlier this year. It was reported to the police and made it into Manchester Evening News and also onto local BBC news. It had spread round all the local bike forums, riders and shops within hours as a result.

Whilst reporting it is unlikely to result in an arrest…
    – the publicity has a chance of reaching the ears of the culprits (or friends/family of the culprits) and may make them think twice about doing something so stupid again …
    – it may make other idiots doing this elsewhere eg Hebden/Hamsterley consider the consequences (not only to riders, but also to themselves if caught!)
    – it makes other mountain bikers who aren’t on this forum aware of the risk

johnellison
    Free Member

Funny that – the OP started this post 5 days ago yet hasn’t reposted…

dawson

‘fatnslow’ has an interesting posting history, joined at a similar time to ‘chrisfixed’ too…(probably just a coincidence)

andyxxx
    Free Member

‘fatnslow’ has an interesting posting history, joined at a similar time to ‘chrisfixed’ too…(probably just a coincidence)

I’m not sure what point you are making. Not everybody visits a forum on a daily basis – even after making an initial post.
    He may not be interested in debating it, but just wanted to make us aware ???

Fluff66
    Free Member

Hmmm
    It’s possible that john is exercising a healthy degree of skepticism. Clearly trail sabotage is an issue. There’s reported, documented cases with police reference numbers. As per above examples eg Dovestones, Hammers. The one described by the OP sounds particularly unpleasant (more details as per other requests would be particularly helpful)

Unfortunately there are also urban myths that get circulated……and it’s possible that the people who spread those (deliberately or naively) don’t realise the consequences of their action: One obvious example…It can take years to get planning applications for trails past councils. Councillors can be very fickle creatures and anything that hints at a potential increase in crime (theft/mugging/vandalism/damage/whatever) stats on their patch is gonna be harder to get their approval for.

BTW – Just to be clear I’m not for a minute accusing the OP of distributing urbans myth.

Think the most important thing here is… any of us finding stuff like this need to report it to the police – photos if possible (and then get as much info as possible out onto the forums).

plyphon
    Free Member

Most people have smart phones, take a photo.

An image really helps to associate risk with something.

Take the fag packet example above, for years it was just a text warning, but they have now moved to images also.

I’m not suggesting take a photo of someone who has broken and arm or anything, but a photo of a wire found at neck height last Wednesday (or whenever) will make any father, mother or outdoors enthusiast go “Wow that is dangerous.”.

zippykona

When we had wire put across the sea front cycle path it was hushed up by the cops as it was felt reporting it would encourage all the other idiots.

Fluff66
    Free Member

@ plyphon – Exactly! You end up with a situation where non mtn bikers are worried about mountain bikers getting injured. That’s what we need (although maybe not, if you’re as clumsy on a bike as I am 😕 )

@ zippykona – I’m really surprised at that. Is that the official line or is it something that might have been passed on “word of mouth” so to speak?

I’ve heard the argument before but I think it’s one that represents a very outdated attitude that used to be held towards a number of criminal activities; arson – used to be the best example. Even in arson cases these days (I live on the edge of the moors), the police and fire brigade have now all moved to the position that informing the public is a better course of action for everyone. (I was at a meeting where this very subject was discussed last year)

The thinking these days is that publicity means having more eyes and ears on the alert and this outweighs any small incentives that may be provided to an also very small number of (albeit potentially dangerous) “influence-able” (aka “dickhead”) minorities

Stinkerbell
    Free Member

Hora , whoever you are – don’t be such a macho prick – this is serious!!! Grrrr :-/

brakes
    Free Member

any updates on this?
    my Dad, who’s a volunteer ranger (but not in this particular area of the Peak District) notified the area ranger who checked it out once the snow had gone and found nothing untoward.
    he has suggested that if this happens again, to notify the police first of all and the National Park Rangers at Fairholmes.
    they’ll be keeping an eye on it though.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Hora , whoever you are – don’t be such a macho prick – this is serious!!! Grrrr :-/

proper lol at that one!

brakes
    Free Member

bump

johnellison
    Free Member

I’m not sure what point you are making. Not everybody visits a forum on a daily basis – even after making an initial post.

I’m starting to get an almighty whiff of troll here – the OP started this thread 2 weeks ago and since then…nothing.

He may not be interested in debating it, but just wanted to make us aware ???

I appreciate that, but surely he must be even a teensy bit interested in the responses if he’s so concerned about it???

robdob
    Free Member

I don’t revisit a lot of threads as I don’t get any notification there has been a reply like other sites do. Anyway he probably didn’t think he had to come on here and defend himself being as he was only trying to help others.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘!! !! WARNING !! !! TRAPS AROUND HOPE VALLEY’ is closed to new replies.