Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • WARNING – telephone scam.
  • tanglewood
    Free Member

I was phoned today by an Asian sounding man, he wanted me to go and turn my computer on to “check that all the windows security settings were correct”, each computer has a unique address number he said. I questioned him and he said he was from microsoft?
    I said that of all the millions of windows users globally, they would not be telephoned, then I asked him to send me an e-mail there and then to prove who he was and where he was from!
    He said to, “hang on one moment” and hung up!
    If they got into your computer I fear that you will have problems with your pc, so –
    DO NOT ENTERTAIN SUCH CALLERS

Please pass on to STOP computer/identity fraud

(the number the call was from – 0800456324)

I have searched the number and it seems that this is widely known!

Drac

Are you my Dad?

tanglewood
    Free Member

No Son!

piemonster

Are you an Uncle perhaps?

Jamie
    Free Member

Are you an Uncle perhaps?

*puts hand on piemonster’s knee*

johndoh
    Free Member

It sounds a very convincing and devious scam.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

just tell them it’s ok, you can see them on their webcam

tanglewood
    Free Member

Just a polite warning, that’s all.

piemonster

*puts hand on piemonster’s knee*

Has the strangest …….

piemonster

but I had a pie for lunch!

😯 😕

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    Are you my Dad?

🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member
    chewkw
    Free Member

I just speak foreign language to the person … they get the message. 😆

dannybgoode

Tell them that you are pretty sure your computer is nice and secure because its an NSA computer and you are currently logged in to PRISM…

Jamie
    Free Member

Cheers.

Danny B.

Drac

I get them calling every now and then have done for about 4 years now, I either string them along pretending to be incredibly stupid, tell them to stop trying to scam people, hang up or say what computer I don’t have one.

Harry_the_Spider

I like to give them a little toot with one of these…

…whilst imagining that their head has imploded.

eskay

I had this once and tied him up in circles so much he ended up calling me a mutha f and hung up. Mission accomplished.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

It’s a scam that’s aimed at older people.

*Hides behind sofa*

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Managed to keep one on the phone for 20 minutes recently.

‘You have a problem with your Windows PC’
    ‘Which one?’ – I had four at the time.

He hung up when I inadvertently said something that showed I knew something about computers.

Sadly, this is a scam aimed at the less tech-savvy, like my parents.

IanW
    Free Member

Get an 0871 number.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I had one on the phone for over 30mins once, had three different advisors all trying to help me. I managed to confuse them all, as I was being deliberately inept.
    Got bored after 30 mins so pulled the cord whilst they were trying to troubleshoot by broadband connection. Ha!

There is another one I had recently where they offer to be able to block all junk phonecalls, including international ones by paying them £30 a year.
    I listened very patiently to his pitch and then nicely explained to him that TPS (Telephone Preference Service) would do all of this for free, that there is no way that international calls can be stopped and that in actual fact he shouldn’t have even called me as my number is already registered with TPS.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I love those calls because i have an iMac.

Drac

I have a Mac and hate those calls.

Jamie
    Free Member

I Mac calls love have because.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I was phoned today by an Asian sounding man,

Sheesh, could you narrow it down? Greek? Japanese? Russian?

I love winding them up by A: telling either I don’t have a computer, or B: one of the missiles has just launched and I’m in deep shit.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Had one yesterday. We get them all the time but my wife usually answers the phone and tells them to do one.

Yesterday, she was out so I got took the call. Played along for a while before telling ‘Alan’ that he sounded cute and explained that I would like to give him a special cuddle. He got confused so I just told him what he was (unprintable here) and hung up.

He called me back and left a message! “Hi, this is Alan from Microsoft Technical Department. You think you’re so smart. Well don’t worry. I will make sure you will/will not (can’t quite make out what he says) get these types of call every day, all the time. Thank you. Good bye.”

Unfortunately, these scammers will eventually convince some vulnerable person to part with their cash. Horrid.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

scammer trolled Here is the last hour of a two hour conversation from the master of trolling these scamming rotters.

gozarch
    Free Member

They managed to con my Dad (a normally quite sensible chap) into parting with his credit card details a few months ago. Thankfully he realised his mistake and we stopped the payment. Then had great fun with ‘Microsoft’ when they called back and I was there. I really can’t repeat what I said to them. They called back as I’d hung up and this time Dad answered. I think we called it a draw after they said they “never wanted to speak to him again” 🙂

CountZero

I had one a couple of weeks ago, first in ages. I’d have strung the young lady along for a bit, but I had just got my tea, so wasn’t going to play. I just said ‘you’re lying!’ She was very confused, and tried to insist that she was from Microsoft, and there really was a problem with my computer! ‘You’re lying’, I said, ‘and I know you’re lying, because there has never been, and never will be, any computer at this address that uses Windows software’. She was still insisting that there was a computer at my address which had a software problem when I cut her off. 😀

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘WARNING – telephone scam.’ is closed to new replies.