Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Warning: EHICs expire!!!
  • secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Just a quick one following a slightly eventful end to the summer holiday …

For goodness sake, check that your EHIC is still valid BEFORE going on a European holiday. I confess that I had no idea that there was an expiry date on these (especially as the old E111 was unlimited). I had the horrid experience of being told my husband's had expired when I presented it at the hospital after being helicoptered in following a climbing accident.

We are lucky … our insurance (BMC/Fortis) only charges a £50 excess if an EHIC isn't used (I checked today), but I understand some insurance companies invalidate the insurance if there is no valid insurance.

This is our oversight and I cannot put the blame elsewhere, but I understand that many people go abroad with the same blissful ignorance. As people who have never made a travel insurance claim, despite over a decade of higher risk holidays (always insured), this has been a little stressful.

Moral of the story – check your EHIC's expiry date and get a good insurer (such as ours: BMC, that also covers MTB).

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Driving license photo-cards also expire, a lot sooner than people realise….

mrmo
    Free Member

thanks for that, hadn't bothered to look, mine expired a couple of months ago, new one in the post hopefully.

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Apparently when you renew, the PIN number remains the same, so that even if you don't have the new card, you can give the pin number and it should still be valid. The turn around is quick though – I reapplied the evening of the accident and the card had arrived when we got home less than a week later. The insurance company told me that many hospitals don't ask for proof of insurance – they just post the bill / ask for payment on the spot.

Given the confusion that ensues after an accident, it's worth making sure that you have everything to hand. As we found out, we're not infallible and accidents happen at the most unlikely moments (we were on a straighforward pitch of a climb that was well within our capability).

midlifecrashes

Ta for the reminder, have been meaning to do ours for our hols, just done it now since reading your experience. Hope hubby mends well.

clubber
    Free Member

I noticed this when taking out our hol insurance this year – for cheaper prices, it stated clearly that you must have a VALID EHIC as this is how they reduce the price – eg they're not liable for most/any of the European treatment.

sv

The first cards issued only had 3 or so years until they expired think the newer ones are 5 or 10 year.

docrobster
    Free Member

Thanks for the reminder from me as well! Ours expired last september- been meaning since april to renew. off to france a week on sat so new ones ordered online- hopefully arrive in time!
    Also re the driving licence expiring mine ran out this summer as well but they do send you a reminder letter- and they last 10 yrs!

jon1973
    Free Member

Driving license photo-cards also expire, a lot sooner than people realise….

They do send you a reminder for the driving licence though in advance. I think it's every ten years.

docrobster
    Free Member

The reminder letter came 6 weeks before it expired

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Ours expired last September- been meaning since april to renew. off to france a week on sat so new ones ordered online- hopefully arrive in time!

You should be fine, but if it doesn't arrive, make a note of the PIN on the old one, as this should be OK on its own.

Food for thought … we have had a previous rock-climbing holiday without a valid EHIC. I'm normally fastidious about paperwork for holidays, but this one caught me out, so I can only assume a few others are likely to be in the same boat.

OH is fine apart from bruises and scrapes (- it looks more like a TdF crash than a rock-climbing fall), helmet caught most of it! We were quite lucky, as there was a mobile signal!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Warning: EHICs expire!!!’ is closed to new replies.