Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Warning daft blackberry question….
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Just got a Blackberry mobile phone, i am usually a Nokia user .

Anyway, phone is set up to recieve my emails as well as my laptop, that is all i have set up. Soooo in the right hand corner is the signal bar this changes from GPRS to EDGE which i guess is the network type locally, the thing that i’m confused about is below the signal bars it says WIFI, does that mean i’m connected to a WIFI connection or is it just showing i can access WIFI. Will i be charged if it is on all the time?

The instructions are not clear regarding this 🙁

donsimon
    Free Member

AFAIK it means that the WIFI is enabled, you shouldn’t be charged for anything but it will drain the battery though.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I noticed it does have an option to switch to mobile network only or both or just WIFI.Does it mean my phone is visible as a connection?

Only had the phone a few days its bloody confusing, should’ve stuck to my Nokia E71.

bruneep

What Blackberry?

If the wifi greyed out it means the wifi is on but not connected. If it is brighter it is connected to wifi..

You will not be charged for it being on

I have my phone browser default set to hotspot, which connects to my home wifi, when I’m at home obviously.

smudge
    Free Member

It changes to wifi when your in wifi zone, Like round the house. If youre in Mcdonalds, costa coffee you search for the free wifi zone to use.

I guess you have set it up for wifi in your house hence it switching to it.
    When youre out and about it will change to gprs or dge depending on strength of signal

bigbloke
    Free Member

Ah, its only in a faded grey. Thanks for the info.

donsimon
    Free Member

If you go to “manage connections” you should have three options: Mobile network, Wi-Fi, bluetooth. Mine is checked for Mobile network as I don’t use it for internet, it receives e-mails no probs, just no internet.

If I go to a Wi-fi hotspot I just check the Wi-fi box and have internet.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Thanks Don, just got a bit confused and too into the ridiculous menu system it uses, thought i’d stuffed it or set it up wrongly.

bruneep

and you do have the BIS set up on the phone?

bigbloke
    Free Member

Bruneep…….BIS???

5lab

blackberry internet services. Basically before a blackberry will work well you have to ‘register’ it with the network, it then enables email (if the option to add personal email isn’t there), and a bunch of other stuff

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Warning daft blackberry question….’ is closed to new replies.