Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • WARNING!! Boring question about bike cleaning
  • mikey74
    Free Member

What is the best stuff to soak a chain in to get it sparkly again, and lose that gritty feeling?

RealMan
    Free Member

muc off degreaser is pretty good. fenwicks too.

mikey74
    Free Member

Yeah, I thought of that kind of stuff too, but I would imagine using Muc-off in that way would get kind of expensive.

khani
    Free Member

Paraffin, comes up like new

fadda

What about white spirit? Or petrol? Are they any good…?

kevin1911

+1 for parafin. I’ve heard of people using unleaded petrol, but the disposal of it would be a nightmare. And its a llot more volatile than parafin.

lipseal
    Free Member

I use JIZER and a sonic cleaner.

jonb
    Free Member

White spirits or parafin would be my choice. Parafin is less volatile so more likely to leave a residue. White spirits should evapourate away as it is more volatile.

As a safer general tip I’ve found babywipes good at removing surface grease.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Petrol !
    Works everytime and all the time, quick too !

ajantom

White spirit in a jam jar. Plonk the chain in and swirl around.
    Remove chain and the give it a wipe, the rest of the white spirit will evaporate off. I then tend to hang the chain from some wire and dribble wet lube down it and let it soak in.

The cr4p in the white spirit will sink the bottom and you can decant it or filter it & use it again.

BearBack
    Free Member

As a safer general tip I’ve found babywipes good at removing surface grease.

that is horrendously disturbing when you think about it!

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Petrol !
    Works everytime and all the time, quick too !

Once you’ve had those pesky fumes (which travel in mysterious ways into very odd places) explode on you you’ll change your mind. Trust me. And I cycle without a helmet.

Paraffin, diesel, heating oil, or best of all industrial degreaser (try a hotel suppliers). Or pay way more for something relabelled as bike specific.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I thought paraffin and diesel were pretty rubbish compared to Finishline Ecotech2 multi-degreaser, or the ‘Green’ gunk you can get from halfords.

Of the two I prefer the Eco-tech, but the price is a bit steep these days, even if I do filter it with coffee filter papers to re-use it.

neilnevill
    Free Member

engine degreaser/gunk in a jam jar.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’m liking the white spirit-in-a-jar myself.

Dirt cheap too. Cheers folks.

bobster
    Free Member

I ran out of degreaser and used white spirit today, chain came up a treat.

bighendo
    Free Member

ajantom knows the score
    keep in cool place for next time

kaiser
    Free Member

better in a big plastic bottle as the chain can move around more and really bash itself clean as you shake it with vigour. slighty more effort to get it back out though but pretty easy with a coat hanger bent to shape

takisawa2

The dishwasher.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘WARNING!! Boring question about bike cleaning’ is closed to new replies.