• This topic has 22 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Warmest gloves
  • MSP

What gloves for those 5 hour jan/feb rides when the temps are -5 or below for someone who can’t handle frozen hands.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Aldi gloves

scotroutes

Pogies

teamslug
    Free Member
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Not waterproof but got some after reading about them on here

If its -5 you don’t need waterproof.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Don’t think there’s any gloves that would keep your hand warm in -5 for 5 hours. I assume you’re not in the UK as we don’t get many days where it’s -5 during the day.

You would need to get bar mitts or pogies.

whitestone
    Free Member

Look at ice climbing gloves. A couple of links, the first is by a guy who’s won the Iditerod race so might know a thing or two about cold weather.

http://45nrth.com/blog/post/cold-weather-riding-tips-by-jay-petervary

http://www.canbike.org/bike/bike-articles/tips-for-mountain-biking-off-road-in-the-winter.html

poolman
    Free Member

I got the 6 quid aldi gloves and wore them today in the cold, unbelievable they really are toasty. I may get a second pair as i am always losing them.

benp1

The only thing that will GENUINELY make a difference are pogies

I’ve tried lots of different gloves – thick, thin, lobster etc. I have a pair of Skytec Argons as well

They all work in differing conditions, but combine that with some pogies and the difference is amazing

They look ridiculous, but they really work

You need gloves with ‘slippery’ outsides though, otherwise they’ll grip the pogies as you’re trying to get your hands inside

scotroutes

What do you mean “they look ridiculous”?

whitestone
    Free Member

Are they the Hot Pogs? If so which model?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I got the 6 quid aldi gloves and wore them today in the cold, unbelievable they really are toasty. I may get a second pair as i am always losing them.

They are but won’t keep your hands warm for 5 hours in -5. I was wearing them commuting home last night and with temps getting close to zero my hands were starting to get cold just after an hour on the bike.

scotroutes

Those are the very cheapest Hotpogs. I’ve had them 4 years now and they are excellent.

Entry/exit is very simple as the opening is wide. This does have a disadvantage when it’s raining as water can run down your sleeves. Not an issue when it is actually -5C but can happen on those cold/wet days we get in the UK.

However, you’ll only normally need very thin gloves and the pogies are so effective that your hands will still stay warm enough.

Also – once people see your bar mitts they tend to stop seeing the fat tyres…

big_scot_nanny

Been -3 ish for the last couple of weeks here in the mornings, and I’ve started using silk glove liners for the first time, after many years of thinking it would be a good idea (also for skiing).

They were great! Used with Pearl Izumi thin-ish windstopper gloves over the top. Hands never got cold, never got clammy/sweaty, really good. Much better than thick gloves on their own. Used them also with my normal giro riding gloves on less cold days. YMMV of course.

dovebiker

+1 on pogies – was able to ride bare-handed at -15C last winter in the arctic. If it does get colder, simply chuck-in a hand-warmer for toastiness and great place to store your snacks! If you don’t want to use pogies, then mitts or lobster-style gloves are better – I sometimes find that too-padded a glove can be restrictive on circulation and lead to cold.

whitestone
    Free Member

@dovebiker – what model did you have? We are heading out for the same event you did in Feb

dovebiker

I’ve got some Revelate Design Williwaws – I preferred them over the HotPogs because they have a better shape. Doing the Rovaniemi 300 next year, so certainly will get my money’s worth!

Northwind

For gloves, I’m still on the perfect curve glaciers- my fingers sweat in conditions where any other cycling glove I’ve used would have them frozen. Also, 100% waterproof.

(the Aldi gloves really aren’t all that warm ime)

They do have their downsides- feel is a bit weird because of all the rubber, it’s like having foam grips on your fingers. They don’t lack feel, it’s just different from a normal glove. That can be a bit fatiguing too since you’re fighting the squish all the time. And if you don’t dry them out thoroughly (more awkward than it sounds, when you’re dealing with total waterproofness, they trap sweat in the fingers) then they soon smell like death.

Waterproofness is still a benefit below zero btw- sure, it’s not going to rain but you still get running water and when it’s running on the trails, you can get pretty wet. And being able to, frinstance, stick your hands in a river to wash mud off the gloves is handy.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you mean temps as low as -5 rather than five hours of it consistently being that cold OP?

The only gloves I’ve found OK going that low was the Sealskinz Technical MTB Waterproof ones, but the liners could be awkward and the bar feel was a bit clumsy.

If I was gonna head up a big hill in the snow, I’d be tempted to start in my normal winter gloves but pack some “proper cold” ones in my backpack for the sub-zero bits.

benp1

I also have the cheapest hot pogs – the expensive ones had more features but didn’t seem to be functionally any warmer (when I looked anyway)

They’re great, and the reflective bits are handy at night

I left them on when I went into the pub on the Bearbones SE Winter Bivy and it was raining quite heavily. I went out to get something off the bike and water was pooling inside them (they had twisted round and were facing up a touch). Took them inside and dried them out

I like them a lot though, I really suffer from cold hands in the winter (even in the South East) and they’ve helped a bunch

I just need to find some to work on drop bars that don’t cost a fortune

sweaman2
    Free Member

Outdoor Research Altiheat gloves. I have the Stormtracker and at -25C they kept my hands warm for 1hr30 before the battery gave out due to cold (luckily it was a 1hr45 ride)

Bar Mitts work for drop bars.

MSP

Anyone have any experience of the Mountain Equipment Randonee glove? I really like the idea of a pile liner.

benp1

Bar mitts are all I’ve found, but they’re expensive!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Warmest gloves’ is closed to new replies.