Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Warm winter jacket – Down/primaloft – what is good Sub £150?
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

For general wear – not bike related. Walking, Peak District/Lakes in Winter

What am i looking for in comparisons?

footflaps

Take your pick

http://rab.equipment/uk/shop/men/synthetic-insulation

I have the Inferno jacket and Xenon Pull over

jamiep
    Free Member

alpkit down

MoreCashThanDash

Alpkit Filo – they may have some still knocking around from last winter, wife and I both paid £80 for ours in previous sales, often have returns or slight seconds if you contact them.

footflaps

Personally I’m not a massive down fan, I like the fact I can wear a synthetic jacket and just bung it in the wash when it’s covered in mud etc

GregMay
    Free Member

Patagonia Nanopuff. I won’t go on again about how awesome they are.

johnnystorm

Finisterre do a few.

jam-bo

arcteryx atom. got the vest and the hoody.

peachos
    Free Member

Simond Alpine Thermal – £50. Very warm! Doesn’t have a fancy name for the filling or shell though.

http://www.simond.com/en/cat/Alpinism_clothing/prd/Veste_chaude_Alpinism_Man

edward2000
    Free Member

Montane Minimus? It’s not overly warm but it’s perfect for walking I think and it packs very small

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Rab Generator Alpine is £120 at Go Outdoors. Not overly bulky and keeps me nice and toasty

Ewan
    Free Member

Simond Alpine Thermal – £50. Very warm! Doesn’t have a fancy name for the filling or shell though.

http://www.simond.com/en/cat/Alpinism_clothing/prd/Veste_chaude_Alpinism_Man

I have one of these – it’s awesome. Massively impressed by it.

jam-bo

Guaranteed excellent thermal insulation thanks to thin and extremely warm Stratermic© insulation layer.

nope. no fancy name at all…

nedrapier

Mountain Equipment Fitzroy is another. Blend of 80% hydrophobic down and 20% synth. Lovely and toasty, I pretty much lived in mine till it started to get a bit warmer. I tried a few, Generator etc, Fitroy was best fit and feel for me. Should find it on sale for about £150.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Fitzroy is fully synthetic

iamanobody
    Free Member

What about the montane extreme?

continuity
    Free Member

Honest to god; the UK doesn’t get cold enough to need down over synthetic, and our weather conditions just don’t suit it.

Rab Gen Alpine, ME Fitzroy or bust.

If you want to spend more money the Atom LT is not as warm but nicer looking.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of synthetic jackets but the hi tec bariloche, currently on Amazon at a bargain price is very close to my paramo Torres in outright cosyness.

iamanobody
    Free Member

Its for NZ in the winter

BillMC

Mrs has Alpkit down and I have Rab. Hers is noticeably better.

nedrapier

Chrisdw – it was, now it isn’t.

garyfisher29er
    Free Member

Rab ascent with hood. Cheaper Rab arete without hood.

Drac

Honest to god; the UK doesn’t get cold enough to need down over synthetic, and our weather conditions just don’t suit it.

Really? I’ve experienced -15c without windchill on night shifts so just how cold does it have to get?

jam-bo

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve had -10 in the lakes. My buddies at the same spot had -18

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Warm winter jacket – Down/primaloft – what is good Sub £150?’ is closed to new replies.