Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Warm winter Jacket, any ideas good people?
  • stuhawk
    Free Member

Looking to replace my old Rip Curl winter jacket with something a little more modern. After a quick look round Ultimate Outdoors these ones caught my eye.
    RAB Valiance
    RAB Positron
    Mountain Equipment Lighline
    Montane Black Ice (not at UO but was recommended)

Any ideas from the good folk of STW would be much appreciated.

matt_outandabout

For doing what activities? Where in UK?

stuhawk
    Free Member

Good point.
    All UK based. Will be mostly used for proper cold days when walking the kids to school. Steady family walks round the local hills and also stood around watching my lad play football.
    Please don’t imagine any rock climbing or scaling of mountains. I’ve never had a good quality cold weather jacket but have £200ish pounds to spend and thought I’d treat myself.

CraigW
    Free Member
    cannyj
    Free Member

This: http://www.musto.com/en_GB/ventile-arctic-primaloft-parka/MJ2140.html

obvs!

Montane Black Ice for general duties though 🙂

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

A decent belay jacket should do. I bought a Haglofs Barrier 3 for about £90, and it has been great. It isn’t downpour waterproof, but I haven’t been wet yet…

TheBrick
    Free Member

As ever check decathlon, I saw two super warm jackets there perfect for what you described today.

Teetosugars
    Free Member
    jimjam
    Free Member

stuhawk – Member

Good point.
    All UK based. Will be mostly used for proper cold days when walking the kids to school. Steady family walks round the local hills and also stood around watching my lad play football.
    Please don’t imagine any rock climbing or scaling of mountains. I’ve never had a good quality cold weather jacket but have £200ish pounds to spend and thought I’d treat myself.

Avoid down imo. My wife and I both have Mountain Equipment Lightline jackets, she feels the cold, I don’t. I almost never wear mine. Other than standing watching football in near zero temps it’ll be of little use (unless you really feel the cold). Even then you won’t want to get it wet. The water resistance only works up to a point.

I’ve got a Montane Hi-q Luxe jacket and a gilet with primaloft gold, two ME Bastion jackets, an older primaloft and newer polar loft jacket and they are the real mvp’s. Went for a frosty 1 degree walk today in my bastion jacket with a mid layer (me eclipse) and once I got warmed up and starting walking up hill I was too warm.

stuhawk
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I’m going to try and visit a store with some knowledgeable staff, not an easy task these days.

whitestone
    Free Member

visit a store with some knowledgeable staff

First a difficult question then you ask the impossible! 😆

Best jackets to cope with UK type cold/damp conditions? Paramo. Nothing else comes close. They even have some more sporting cuts these days rather than their traditional “bag of spuds” look.

Down can work but you need to be careful about not getting it properly wet and it’s not really suitable for wearing during intense activity in the UK. Most decent down jackets will deal with a short shower but not heavy or persistent rain. Unless you really are after performance then synthetic will be fine for most people and for day to day activities. (we’ve five down jackets and one down gilet in the house!) The other thing is that not all down is equal and the good stuff that everyone raves about won’t be found in jackets at the cheaper end of the market – very roughly 900 fill power down has twice the insulation of 650fp but it costs more than twice as much per gramme.

Go with Paramo 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Warm winter Jacket, any ideas good people?’ is closed to new replies.