Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Warm winter big tights
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Thinking I may need a warmer pair of winter bibs after getting cold legs on today’s ride! Mostly cold around my quads and hammies which got wet and then the wind cut through. Wasn’t very pleasant! I have worn an extra pair of shorts over my tights a few times but it tends to hurt my delicate parts having two chamois.
    Suggestions please! Without blowing the bank totally, so guessing that rules out Assos.

TheSanityAssassin

Lusso Max Repel?

njee20
    Free Member

Check the classifieds for Assos, IMO they’re so much better than (for example) Lusso there’s no contest. Bits seem to come up on BikeRadar regularly. Check their factory outlet store too. Odd sizes, but good deals.

rootes1

castelli nanoflex

rootes1

or to keep using your existing bib longs just put some legwarmers underneath – castelli do nanoflex leg warmers as well.. they are quite water repellant

d45yth
    Free Member

I love my Pearl Izumi Amphib’s, no good if the temperature is above 3-4 degrees C as they get too warm!

michaelmcc
    Free Member

What do people think of the Gore Bike wear ones? I really like the fit of most GBW clothing. Castelli stuff fits me really well too.

Spud

Have some lovely Santini from Prendas.

markwalker
    Free Member

i had two pairs on today 🙄

gee
    Free Member

Castelli ones are rubbish – ankle grippers don’t work. Big mistake – should have stuck with Assos.

GB

rootes1

Castelli ones are rubbish – ankle grippers don’t work

work fine for me, nice wide band, grips without fuss for me, as good as the loops on my gore tights? perhaps wrong shape/size for you?

matt_outandabout

I do the fashionably questionable waterproof 3/4 over tights for extra warmth. This has seen me do 8 miles in -10 before…

carlossal
    Free Member

Wiggle’s own brand : dhb Vaeon Roubaix Padded Bib Tight are quite warm. Wore a pair last week (admittedly not the coldest day of the year) and kept me warm even during prolonged showers. The pad could be better but the zipped / gripper ankles kept the legs riding up and they’re not too expensive either.

Carl

gee
    Free Member

Yes they must be designed around MAMILS so don’t fit lanky folk.

Can’t have a medium as they won’t be long enough, can’t have XL as I’m too skinny.

If they had proper foot stirrups like most decent tights they’d be excellent.

GB

tomhoward

I use Planet X Roubaix tights over padded shorts on the road bike. Great fit, have stirrups so stay in place and dead warm. Iirc they were £30 ish and are brillyunt.

rootes1

Hi GB

Yes they must be designed around MAMILS so don’t fit lanky folk.

i’m 6’6″ and under 12 stone – hardly normal mamil shape! I wear size large castelli and medium in gore in longs

true stirrups would be better but been really impressed with the castelli gripper.

Can’t have a medium as they won’t be long enough, can’t have XL as I’m too skinny

there is a size in between those you know ‘large’ 😆

Si

gee
    Free Member

*can’t tell if trolling or stupid*

I have a large now.

Do you put yours over overshoes? I have winter boots so they go inside the cuff. After about 2-3hrs riding my legs get exposed above the shoe cuff. Have tried tucking inside socks (uncomfortable) and putting over the shoe cuff (still slips up).

Just grumpy I’ve spent £130 on a crap product.

GB

rootes1

Hi Gee, no not trolling.

warm socks on (winter PI ones that come up quite far on the leg), then tights over the socks so gripper is on sock, then shoes then overshoes over the top of whole lot.

perhaps becuase your using boots and it is moving then up as you pedal, perhaps try a longer sock?

you could always add some stirrups? also could add a layer of leg gripper to the bottom? I bought some when I converted som 3/4 bibs into longer shorts. if you want a length i could post you a bit.

as a note as you also seem lanky found the fleecy tights (as apposed to the windproof) better to ‘stretch’ into the right shape i.e. tall but thin, the more weather proof ones tend to be less stretchy so less good at doing this.

Si

gee
    Free Member

Yes I thought I might get some ankle stirrups stitched on by my local tailor – I have some old tights they could come off. Even some simple loops would solve it. Thanks for the offer, though. They only charged me £4 to stitch up some old tights and have done a top job so will see what they say.

Assos again next time though.

GB

simondbarnes

Never had an issue with the leg grippers on my Castelli bibtights (Fondo, Sorpasso, Fluido nanoflex), they seem to work really well (and they are really comfortable and warm). I hate ankle stirrups, no perfect product for everyone I guess 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I found my Spesh tights without stirrups absolutely shocking – 3/4s after a few miles whether you like it or not. Would never get tights without stirrups again. Need bigger cankles!

firestarter
    Free Member

What are those that on one are doing cheap at the min like

iain65
    Free Member

Got a pair of Endura Stealth Extremes in CRC sale before Xmas, now ridden in all weathers and the only thing they do not work in is above 8 deg C, brilliant. 2 hour ride on boxing day at 3degC and pouring rain and still felt warm and dry at the end.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18076

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Warm winter big tights’ is closed to new replies.