Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Warm / waterproof jacket for standing around in
  • ernie67

Can anyone recommend a nice warm coat/jacket for standing around watching my son playing rugby in ( also sat in a cold stadium watching Barnsley too )?
    I like the look of the Alpkit OHiro ( anyone using one ? ) , but could be tempted just to buy a Filoment & put it under another coat on a really cold day .
    Any recommendations i’d be grateful for , but don’t really want a big parka type thing ( & not about swapping my team either ! ) .
    Looking at about £100 – £150 budget .

jimjam
    Free Member

Looking at that Alpkit it looks pretty similar in terms of weight and construction to a lot of synthetic jackets, no bad thing. If you’re active it’ll be warm enough in all but the coldest condtitions. However if you’re standing around in in the cold, particularly in the wet it will get saturated. It’ll still provide some warmth but you might want to supplement it with a waterproof shell to give additional wind/water resistance.

ernie67

The waterproof bit isn’t essential – i can stand with a brolly after all .
    Just when you’re not moving it can get a bit cold on a February evening

northshoreniall

Its not a parka honest, http://www.dryrobe.com have one waiting for christmas for post surfing/ biking changing 🙂

ernie67

For standing on a touchline ?….erm , not really

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I have an Alpkit Filo. If I go anywhere where I know I’ve got to stand around and it’s cold, it’s what I take. The thinner synthetic jackets are great if you’re moving around, but the Filo is probably what you want.

I’ve also got a Rab Generator, and wear that under an Event shell when it’s cold and wet, this works well too.

jimjam
    Free Member

ernie67

The waterproof bit isn’t essential – i can stand with a brolly after all .
    Just when you’re not moving it can get a bit cold on a February evening

I’ve got a 550g primaloft jacket and I’ll walk about in it with just a t-shirt underneath in most temps. I’m inclined to say throw a mid layer on underneath it and you should be fine, even when stood around in February. Take a look at the ME Fitzroy, should be perfect for what you want if you can get one with a bit of discount.

You can get down jackets that are waterproof but they are heavier and less versatile. You pay for them too.

RustySpanner

Looked at a lot of expensive synthetics, ended up with the £25.00 one from Decathlon.
    Been fine so far, waterproof and warm.
    Link.
    Will stick a big fleece under it when it turns really cold.

ernie67

Thanks everyone – gives me something to think about anyway .
    I think synthetics definitely the way to go from what i’ve read – far easier to wash etc.
    Decathlon are bloody cheap !

RustySpanner

To be fair, it’s not the poshest looking thing, but it certainly does the job.

If you do visit, the hunting and sailing sections have some great fleece/softshell stuff at the moment too.

maccruiskeen

Paramo Tora would be in budget (look out for discounted ones from paramo on ebay) is very warm for what seems like a quite slightly insulated jacket, whilst being more breathable and less restricting of movement than my other down jacket (I gigantically thick thing from Decathalon that makes me look like Mr Staypuft.)

The paramo one is just more wearable, the decathlon has a hood that doesn’t move with your head and also kind of inflates when you get in the car!

CraigW
    Free Member

I have a Keela Belay jacket. It is 133g Primaloft, so rather warm. Great for standing around on a cold day. But it doesn’t have a hood, and isn’t waterproof. You buy it for about £70.

Also worth a look at Snugpak, they have some warm synthetic jackets.

avdave2

I bought a Montane Extreme on offer for much the same purpose. That was for my son’s football matches but at least there you can also warm up by running up the touchline swearing at the ref and threatening to break the legs of small boys if they happen to tackle one of your side. However you will need to remove the jacket for this as it will get way to warm and besides it makes a good gesture to throw it to the floor while striding towards parents of the other team while rolling up your sleeves and snarling.

ernie67

Might have a look at the Montane extreme – the Dyno jacket i’ve got’s probably one of the best things i’ve ever bought .

Thanks

somouk
    Free Member

I have a North Face Gotham jacket and it’s fantastic for days like that.

Toasty warm, semi waterproof and has a hood unlike so many others.

The fur bit is removable too.

dragon
    Free Member

Any of the decent synthetic jackets should do. I use a Haglofs Barrier 2 and a decent hood is essential, more for the wind than the rain IME. Standing around watching kids sport in 2 degC and horizontal rain, is one of the most demanding tests of warm and waterproof kit. I’d also recommend getting a decent pair of wool socks if you haven’t already.

ernie67

Just looked at the Haglofs & it looks ideal – off to my local Go Outdoors tomorrow for a look I think ( sorted for socks ! :lol:)

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

You may already use them, but long johns & insulated/fleece lined trousers make a big difference to me at least when sitting/standing around in the cold. Never understood why some people wear shirt, woolen jumper and himalaya rated down jacket on the top half and then 1mm thickness of denim on the bottom half.

ernie67

I’d got some under armour leggings which I swore by until I got some £3 long Johns from G Outdoors on offer earlier this year – they’re well toasty

njee20
    Free Member

Its not a parka honest, http://www.dryrobe.com have one waiting for christmas for post surfing/ biking changing

Saw someone wearing one of those at the weekend. He looked like a right ****.

I’d go to Snow and Rock and get a skiing jacket myself! Super cosy.

scaredypants

don’t **** about with a jacket – get a long waterproof overcoat, so most of the rain drops round your feet rather than running down your arse & legs

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Warm / waterproof jacket for standing around in’ is closed to new replies.