Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Warm socks…….
  • alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Was out today for a nice 30 mile ride in the snow wearing 2 pairs of Endura merino wool socks 1 x thin + 1 x thick pair

When I got home I couldn’t feel my toes even in a hot shower it was a good half hour later when the feeling returned 🙁

So, my question is what socks can u recommend for sub zero riding?

Cheers,

Alan.

amplebrew

I’m a big fan of Woolie Boolie’s

motozulu
    Free Member

I have concluded, after exhaustive research into this very subject, that the socks have not yet been invented that can keep your toes warm in sub zero temps.

HTH.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get some overshoes laddy.

jonnyrockymountain

Agree with amplebrew woolie boolie !!!! Oh so warm

gee
    Free Member

Woollie Boolie plus Shimano winter boots = end of cold feet.

matt_outandabout

I have concluded, after exhaustive research into this very subject, that the socks have not yet been invented that can keep your toes warm in sub zero temps.

He speaks truth. Overshoes help, but a swap to leather winter walking boots, warm socks and gaitors is my ‘winter, snow, day out, hill and bike’ option for warm toes.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Seal skinz n five tens job done.

porlus
    Free Member

Tend to use hiking socks with my skate shoes. Mates on Saturday complained of cold feet (combo of normal socks with seal skins or over shoes). Was nice and toasty in my bridgedales.

jonnyrockymountain

I do a lot of walking and use bridgedales and smartwool and really nice socks
    But after buying woolie boolie’s for bike i’am now going to buy a few more pairs for walking in as well, really impressed how warm they are

amplebrew

I’ve found my Woolie Boolie’s combined with my MW80’s and MT500 overshoes have been spot on.

I suffer with really cold feet, but the Woolie Boolie socks have been really great and made a big difference to my winter riding.

svalgis
    Free Member

Anyone care to comment on the fit of the Woolie Boolie 2’s? Is the size guide accurate?

skaifan
    Free Member

I got heated insoles from maplins. Think they were around £15. They last 2 hours on 6 AA batteries. The battery packs look like asbo tags so make sure you get home by nine.

MSP

It’s not just about your feet, if the blood isn’t reaching your toes, the chances are you legs are too cold and that is where the flow is being restricted.

Some ski socks that come up to just below the knees, worn under your tights work a treat.

fizzicist
    Free Member

I got some Castelli merino socks, which combined with Neoprene overshoes means I always have toasty warm feet 🙂

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

overshoes are next on my list.

maybe the fact that your most outer extremities are rotating in cold wind as you travel, mean that they are the furthest away from your heart and have the highest amount of cold air over them is why its so fing cold down there! also if spd’ing you are connected to metal

that and pins and needles are deemed never to be solved

motozulu
    Free Member

Even with MT500’s over the SPD’s over the Ulvang socks I still get cold toes. Still looking for the magic formula but some of it may just be down to your own circulation or lack of it. I’ll try the woolie boolies next I think.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Possibly the case, as I just had shorts & knee warmers, so my lower legs were exposed and pink with the cold!

We were out for 3 hours…….

jonba
    Free Member

nookie neoprene if it is wet and some decent wool hiking socks if it is dry.

Keeping your legs warm will help so some decent windproof tights

rootes1

also make sure you keep legs warm otherwise you are just cooling the blood down as it goes to the feet..

you often see people in short but with overshoes on etc.. if cold enough for overshoes then cover your legs up!

for mountain biking in the cold I have some winter weight brigdale hiking socks that come up over the knee – i put these under winter bib tights..

can’t use the socks with road riding as makes foot to fat to get in shoe so use thinner ones.

motozulu
    Free Member

Did’nt consider that tbh. Got some thermo tights but hate wearing em and also had pink shins when I got home.

amplebrew

svalgis – Member
    Anyone care to comment on the fit of the Woolie Boolie 2’s? Is the size guide accurate?

I’m a size 8 and wear medium Woolie Boolies

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Don’t like tights, but may have to invest in some leg warmers…..

I did have Gore ones, but hated the zips on them!

scaredypants

unfashionable round here, but sealskinz merino socks are good IMO

funkynick

And don’t do your shoes up too tight, this restricts the blood flow to your feet, making them colder… this also tends to happen when you wear big thick socks in your normal shoes.

Oh, and Woolie Boolies for me too! But the thing that made the real difference was getting some good winter boots with enough room to easily wiggle my toes about.

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Go outdoors woolly thick ones.

Northwind

Sealskinz with some sort of decent fluffy merinos inside- usually woolie boolies, sometimes Giro winter but they’re nothing like as good.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Take off the under socks!

I tried wearing warm socks under my sealskins, but it just made it worse… The extra pair of socks can cut off the blood circulation.

Keep everything nice and loose on the feet 🙂

Northwind

Only if your shoes are too tight… But my 5 10s work fine with 2 pairs and I got a cheap pair of Shimanos a size up for the job.

njee20
    Free Member

Woollie Boollies +43

kuman
    Free Member

I got some Phd smartwool ski socks to keep my feet nice and toasty.

radoggair
    Free Member

heated socks maybe your only friend then

heated socks

insoles you say ( very expensive tho)

insoles

paulmurphy1971
    Free Member

Local 30 miler is my normal weekend run just now if not going further away – up the wind farm, exposed, bloody cold and a railway track like a swimming pool/ice rink to blast through after.

Loose fitting big fluffy numbers I knocked from the mrs, seal skins over the top, 510s. …. Solved the cold and wet feet issues totally. Shoes take till Wednesday to dry out but hey ho !

Keep the legs covered tho – using some cheap decathlon tights with full length endurance trousers over the top and that does the job for me..

Nomad running magic Alan, by the way ….

Cheers, Paul.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Hey Paul,

Glad u r enjoying the Nomad – definitely missing her 🙁

Weather permitting we r Glentress bound on Sunday if u fancy meeting up?

Alan.

fudge9202
    Free Member

try ulvang merino wool on ebay so good got them for wife and kids some and £6.50 for four pairs

paulmurphy1971
    Free Member

Outside possibility Alan – looks like Sat morning is my only chance this weekend so might have to be the big local blast – if there is a change I will text you. Might try to fit in a sneaky one Friday morning at Cathkin braes early when I should be working tho !

Have a feeling I am going to be sledging in the field across the road instead tho !

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

The ulvangs are very good for the price but mine have all shrunk a bit. No such problem with the On-One thickies or the SOS socks also from On-One.

hainman
    Free Member

TKmaxx do loads of wool ski socks…I got a pair of those Smartwool 85% wool ones and have to say they are amazing….And at £7 instead of the £20 on the website they were a steal…

lowey

Wollie Boolies with Shimano winter boot with Endura Thermastat tights.

Toasty.

The Wollie Boolies really do have to be tried. So comfy I wear them around the house.

cheese@4p

I’m using lambswool insoles, cheap and effective. When all else fails I go over to flat pedals and cosy boots.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Warm socks…….’ is closed to new replies.