Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Warm riding jacket, not softshell?
  • ton

looking for a warm riding jacket, but not softshell.
    don’t like to layer up, don’t mind just a base t shirt, with a warm jacket.
    waterproof is not a key factor. any idea’s

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

Rab Vapour Rise clothing works very well. Soft brushed interior so good comfort for wearing without layer underneath, but can be supplemented with a synthetic T shirt under for colder conditions. Unless you want to spend ages fighting your arms in, stick just to a T shirt and avoid a long sleeved base layer.

Have used (three) jackets for Scottish winter mountaineering and mountain biking over several years. Provide good comfort level and surprisingly warm for aerobic activities. Not bike specific but the more recent Alpine Lite (?) one is nice enough cut on the bike.

Technically a soft shell of a type but more versatile 🙂

ElShalimo

Buffalo mountain shirt or Montane Extreme – basically any pile and pertex type coat. Snugpak do one as do other military suppliers.

It’ll be very warm when active though but they vent well

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    z1ppy

errr not a softshell in the bike clothing sense but Decathlons hiking QUECHUA Forclaz 900 softshell (it thicker than most ‘bike’ ones & pretty damned waterproof) is brilliant, though seemingly they don’t sell the version I have now just the “warm” (fleece lined) one.
    It has decent length pitzip so you can cool yourself down if you get too hot
    Not fancy but works well, mine over 3 years old now.

MSP

Buffalo pile lined type jacket. They do some cycling specific stuff, but depending on use I would probably be tempted by their non cycling stuff.

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/

loddrik
    Free Member

Paramo. My winter/autumn/spring riding jacket is a paramo Cuzco. Best riding jacket I’ve ever had. Never needed anything more than a t shirt underneath.

ivorlott
    Free Member

Paramo

+1

benp1

Define softshell…. now there’s a topic, could include the Rab VR, Paramo, shelled fleeces, membraned fleeces, pile/pertex etc

Paramo and Buffalo aren’t bad options, typically lots of venting and very breathable

ton

I have a north face apex softshell jacket. it is warm, it is comfy, but it is horrible to cycle in.

gonna have a look at paramo stuff.

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

My own experience of double P systems (pertex/pile) including Buffalo and Montane is that they were too warm for aerobic activities and didn’t adapt well to being layered – if in extremis it was necessary to put a waterproof shell over the top. Just too bulky.

I didn’t particularly like Paramo as that had a tendency to feel damp if you weren’t moving and ‘pushing’ out the vapour, and they were quite heavy when wet. That was some time ago, so they may have improved over the years.

All the Rab items I own work well and as a result I would recommend.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Paramo +1 Got one of those over the head ones with loads of vent zips. I team it with a merino polo neck (and skullcap) and a buff with Sealskin windproof/waterproof gloves (waterproof shorts over long tracky bottoms on the lower half). In order for it to do it’s stuff and breathe and be waterproof, don’t use a rucsac. I use a large Scott bumbag.
    I can go out in almost all weathers (off road) down to about -5 (so far) and not get cold when I stop.

jonba
    Free Member

There are a few manufacturers doing winter weight jerseys that are windproof on the front but fleece on the back. DHB windslam roubaix is the one I have and is good.

Is it just the fabric you don’t like? My wife has a NF Apex and it is really stiff compared to my montane stuff. Also worth a look at this?

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/clothing/jackets/product/review-keela-lynx-softshell-13-47780/

ton

jonba, it is stiff, and seems to let cold air build up in the air pockets/voids.

is all paramo stuff made from the nikwax anology material?
    I have ccioch jacket that I had made to measure, it is made form the anology material, it is very good, but a bit too much for cycling in.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why not softshell? (Oh I see you’ve answered)

Warmth, for me, is about windproofness rathre than insulation. Many sofshells have Roubaix (tm 😛 ) fabric on the back to ventilate.

Del

take a look at the hagloffs boa if you can find one. it’s a lightweight softshell, with some stretch to it too. damn near as windproof as my gore phantom, but lighter, more comfortable, and breaths better. sleeves will push up over elbows without being uncomfortable and the hood will go over your lid if you need it to.
    failing that just get a montane pertex thing and wear a fleece under.

clubber
    Free Member
    Del

crap! i’d buy another 2 for that price!

BadlyWiredDog

I like Rab’s VapourRise stuff for all-round riding. I use a VR Alpine Lite on the mountain bike and it’s a nice balance of just enough weather protection and not too much insulation with great breathability, though I wouldn’t class it as ‘warm’. The standard weight VR is a bit more insulated but still breathes really well.

I like Paramo stuff, but for me at least, it’s only really useable on the bike around freezing level and below, though they do tend to have lots of vents which extends the range a bit.

clubber
    Free Member

It’s a shame it has a hood…

ElShalimo

All the items we’ve suggested could be classed at softshell depending on your point of view.

Ton – this Buffalo Cycle Shirt might fit the bill, it’s pile/pertex but cut for cycling.
    They also do a lighter weight Teclite Cycle Shirt variant

ElShalimo

Ton – check Keela
    They’re a UK company and make jackets up to XXXL (52″)

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ve got the non-hooded version of the Haglofs Boa and I don’t rate it as well as my Paramo. The Haglofs material seems to trap too much moisture. I use the Haglofs for hillwalking and the like but not biking.
    The Paramo can be used up to about 8 degrees and is very good in high windchill.

roverpig

Paramo Velez smock gets me through winter night rides in the NE of Scotland. The hood is even big enough to fit over my helmet when it gets really nasty. The only problem is that with the Paramo jacket and my Altura attack waterproof shorts I never have an excuse not to ride 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Warm riding jacket, not softshell?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts