Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Warm dry feet….
  • crispo
    Free Member

Have been advised by the docs to try and keep my feet warmer and drier when put biking. What’s a good shoe and sock combo through the winter then!? I don’t clip in so flats and whatever socks you think. Currently just have some all terrain shoes with a pair of seal skinz (fairly old ones at that)!!

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m told five ten freerider elements are very good in this regard. Merino socks for me.

mintimperial

Shimano AM41s are plenty grippy enough for me and have a very good lace cover that keeps the worst of the wet out. I wear goretex socks inside them if it’s damp, and my feet stay nice and dry in that set-up unless it gets properly, Biblically rainy.

ton

I am on warfarin for my ticker, my blood is thiner that water, so cold feet and hands are the norm.

kneelength sealskins/porelle drys, the merino inner ones.
    5/10 exum guide boots.

seriously good warmth for someone with medical issues.
    remember being cold with medical issues is far far worse than a healthy cyclist being cold.

nickfry228
    Free Member

Shimano am41s for me too. Used to use fivetens, but they soaked up water like a sponge. Sealskinz are pretty good too.

Karl33to
    Free Member

Some half decent waterproof walking boots re-soled with 5-10 dotty rubber (Llanberis re-soles) with some Heat Holders wooly socks inside (Tesco), don’t think you’ll be able to beat that combo.

vincienup
    Free Member

Five Ten Freerider Elements (VXi) are the new winterized ones that have a thermal liner and DWR coating – and apparently an even stickier sole.

Not going to link to another magazine for a review but there are plenty of good ones.

I’d been avoiding 5/10’s for the whole ‘wet skate shoe with trick sole’ thing in winter but the reviews are good and I’m hearing positive noises from real people also. As it seems I’m not getting any more Links, I’ll be paying very close attention especially if they come out with mid in this format.

Random thought; maybe booties of some sort? I believe there are ones that will work with flats and possibly even not look bad either…

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m not taking the mick, I promise. Get yourself down to aldi and get some of the Dickies thermal workwear socks. I use these with shimano AM45 (clipped in) and they have kept my feet warmer than anything else. Forget dry, it ain’t gonna happen! You need something that still keeps your feet quite warm when the material is wet. Merino is too tight in my experience, so it cuts off circulation. I just use these aldi socks and don’t do my shoes up too tight.

solarpowered
    Free Member

I think I can beat you all on the cheap scale !! …maybe… I bought a pair of neoprene welly boot liners for £8. I put merino socks under these & my feet have never felt so comfy & warm! I look a right **** but who cares… People dont look at my feet anyhoo!!… 😉

merynella
    Free Member

My feet haven’t got wet since I started wearing knee length Sealskinz plus 3/4 length waterproof shorts to stop water getting in the top. Thin socks as an extra layer for warmth. Plenty of room in shoes so circulation not restricted. I may look into those Dickies, though.

Oh, and I wear leggings so the knee length socks don’t make me look like a tool.

jordie
    Free Member

Lake winter boots thin pair of merino socks and a thick wooly pair on top job done. Done the Puffer with this never needed to change socks at all and my feet were bone dry after 24hours

jamiesilo
    Free Member

i recommend army goretex bootliners over seal-skinz any day

sealskins (or the old ones anyway) don’t breath = sweaty and cold for me, so no different. i’ve had gore-tex boot liners on in leaking wellies sumergerd in cold water, and still toasty warm feet inside!

like these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-PAIR-MILITARY-GORE-TEX-WATERPROOF-BOOT-LINERS-/170432333938?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item27ae8f0872
    i’m on my second pair of the short ones, but i reckon the long ones would be excellant

Basil

Sealskinz for me, but the waterproofing seems to wear out.

dannyh
    Free Member

Jamiesilo makes a great point about sealskinz. They do not keep my feet warm because they are not insulated. They also make my feet sweat, which then gets cold etc. They are also too thick IMO so they make my shoes feel tight.

Some people swear by them, mind you.

I have effectively given up on dry feet as I sweat a lot, have SPDs so my shoes are not 100% watertight! and don’t have enough cash for a pair of boots! The best thing for my requirements is ‘warm despite being wet’ rather than ‘must keep dry at all costs’.

Anyhow, it’s only going to cost you a few quid to try the aldi jobs.

Basil

Best waterproof shoes I have tried (briefly) were Mavic Scree

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Basil thats all good and well but as he is looking for flat shoes a useless comment 🙂

danjthomas
    Free Member

I wear a neoprene type ankle strap on the left… Nothing on the right foot.. I use freerider elements and never get a wet left foot but my right shoes fills with water guaranteed.

Basically, waterproof shoes and something to stop water getting in is what you need.

tmb467
    Free Member

Freerider Elements, merino socks, waterproof over trousers and some short gaiters

Tights under the trousers – nice and warm lower half

EDIT: ton probably has the best setup tbh

danjthomas
    Free Member

I wear a neoprene type ankle strap on the left… Nothing on the right foot.. I use freerider elements and never get a wet left foot but my right shoes fills with water guaranteed.

Basically, waterproof shoes and something to stop water getting in is what you need.

prawny

I’ve heard that ladies tights/pop socks under normal socks are pretty good, I haven’t tried it yet, I keep forgetting to. Might try it this weekend.

DeeW
    Free Member
    sparkyrhino

As I type this I have 2 pairs of socks on,the outer pair are the Aldi dickies thermal socks,also a pair of Ugg skuff slippers,with my feet next too a radiator and my feet are freezing.I may be dead.

giantjason
    Free Member

I have several pairs of sealskinz socks with varying degrees of thermal properties. Depending on how cold it is I wear the appropriate socks along with Northwave gore-tex boots to stay warm and dry.

ton

you will not get wet or cold feet with these under some good boots.

http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/socks/ke731-mid-weight-knee-length-sock-black.html

Basil

Err don’t put the cleats in?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Freezing feet again today, very wet. Anymore ideas

chrisdw
    Free Member

Basil, have you ever tried that? It just doesn’t work. No grip at all.

chvck
    Free Member

Dickies over sealskinz here, I use 5:10s and they get utterly soaked but I make sure the socks get dried between rides and then don’t notice the wet shoes once on.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I get very cold feet in my M162 SPD shoes. But I think that is the fault of the shoes. Not the best protected.
    Wore my impacts in flat pedals again yesterday and they were much warmer. Just wearing a thin liner sock with a walking sock on top. My next purchase will be a pair of AM45 shoes, same as AM41 just SPD. As I have had a go with some of them and lits more warmth and weather protection.
    I have yet to find anything that works when it gets really cold tho.

Main thing i have found that makes a difference is make sure the shoes and socks arent too tight.

composite
    Free Member

Replace the in soles of whatever shoes you use with a set of these.
    http://www.woollyshepherd.co.uk/woolly-shepherd-homewares/felted-wool-bootliners

Trim them to the exact size of of your shoes so they fit snug. At first they will make the shoes feel to small but they compact down after the first use. Not only are they an extra insulation but they just make you feet feel more cosy as well. They still do the job when wet and dry fairly quickly as well.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

What do they smell like after a few wettings tho?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Knee length sealskinz bought. Will wear under knee pads to semi seal the tops.

dannyh
    Free Member

Still pushing the dickies socks here. Another ride with warm feet today, despite not being dry.

I’ve also indulged in a £18 softshell from said German retailer. A good spray over with about £3.50 worth of nikwax softshell proofer and it is beading up as well as any expensive jacket I have had. It has nicely adjustable cuffs and waist and a a breast pocket. I’m not sure I’m going to need anything more warm jacket wise! It’s a bit hefty, but so am I!

Northwind

Love my sealskinz, they’re not perfect but even at their worst they’re much better than the alternative (at worst, you get a sock full of water, but it’s the same water all the time and warms up… As opposed to a constant spray of new freezing water)

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Warm dry feet….’ is closed to new replies.