Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • warm drinks bottle for the chilly weather?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

so want a bottle with a sports top that can take warm liquid and fits in my bottle holder.

Camelback podium insulated bottle looks good BUT from what i gather its just a standard camelback podium with some insulation round it …..

standard podiums go a bit gooey when you stick in warm orange (as i do on long cold rides – prolongs the time before they freeze and you have slush puppy) …. im wanting one that can take coffee in for my second bottle holder at the puffer !

epicyclo

trail_rat – Member
    …im wanting one that can take coffee in for my second bottle holder at the puffer !

Wimp! Next you'll be asking about waterproofs…

BTW anyone know if you can get a frame mount for a JetBoil stove. I was planning a brew up at the top of the 'Puffer each lap 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

duct tape it to the top tube – and run it full time …. keep you warm 😉

Ive got my waterproofs sorted.

Joining you in the SS catagory – should be fun.

epicyclo

Of course there's no need for a drink bottle in the 'Puffer.

The only question is do you carry 1 lump of water or 2?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Second bottle holder at the puffer? You got no support? I intend to carry a half full bottle only – a lap will only take me an hour and a bit and I don't expect to be sweating much.

My minions will be waiting for me each lap with brandy coffees and so on each lap 🙂

I may take a picnic and stop for breakfast somewhere tho

marsdenman
    Free Member

Hip Flask…… 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

dont intend to stop often.

like the one lump or 2 epicyclo

trail_rat
    Free Member

flask above comes with a non useful top – also have had dealings with those in the past on customers bike – they like to fall off 😀

MoreCashThanDash

"my minions" – Has the Dark Lord CFH finally triumphed over poor old TJ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Trailrat – even if you don't intend to stop often can you not have your support waiting at the timing point each lap with a fresh bottle?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Weird – I was going to post the same question as you Trailrat. I fancy a bottle I can keep a cup of tea or coffee in on the commute to work on these cold mornings….

Currently a gel halfway through the ride and ice cold carb drink isn't the most pleasant of breakfasts! 🙂

So anyone got anything besides the strange flask suggestion?

trail_rat
    Free Member

they could – but im sure they would prefer not to 😉 for all the weight that an extra bottle is

Drac

I don't expect to be sweating much.

You will be using huge amounts of energy to ride and keep warm though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Drac – I will need loads of calories for sure – but I doubt the usual quoted litre of fluid per hour will be needed. I shall be stopping for regular meals and cups of tea – about hourly I reckon

I am not racing as such – more participating. 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

kent peterson was talking about taking a insulted mug clipped to a camelbak the other day.

also see a guy at work who has one in a mount on his bars (swinn cruiser) haven't actually seen the mount – just riding by – looks pretty cool though. 8)

Drac

Drac – I will need loads of calories for sure – but I doubt the usual quoted litre of fluid per hour will be needed.

How do you plan on turning the food into calories without water?

trail_rat
    Free Member

levitation drac ;0

Drac

Oh yeah.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I shall take on plenty of fluid. Just I doubt I will need more than a half bottle a lap.

The aim is to ride a lap – stop for 5 mins – have a drink and some calories, grab another half full botttle for the next lap, 'nother lap, stop for 1/2 an hour and have a bigger chunk of calories and another drink, 'nother half full bottle and set off again. Repeat for 24 hrs That schedule gives me time for around 16 – 18 laps more than I think I will have the legs for.

slow and steady and all that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah thats worrying how the time breaks down tj. – im trying to beat anjas total from last year minimum. and thats 20- legs are there but the mind may not be. I like to break the race into 4 sections and only stop for food at those sections – and graze on the move during the rest on bananas , gels , haribo , energy drink , fruit pastilles, fruit juice , custard -warmed/watered down and in a standard bottle in my spare holder ill have you know ;). I can alternate this with coffee 😉

My dad is supporting during daylight hours but due to medical issues he cant stay up through the night – hopefully my mate will be coming along to do the nightshift , failing that ill just have to MTFU

cinnamon_girl

'Southern softie takes flask of coffee on ride' shocker 😯

Yes, I do! Proper coffee with … cream. Oh yes 8)

Tesco do a dinky flask (300 ml) which is fine. If I'm riding with guests then it has to be the 500 ml Zojirushi (T K Maxx) cos it stays proper hot.

trail_rat
    Free Member

but i dont want to stop to drink it ….or id just use a flask

does anyone do a sigg like bottle with a sports top that fits into bottle holders easy ?

**** it ill just use my fuel bottle from my stove 😉

Caffetiere will be packed 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ah well – wave at me as you pass 🙂

12 laps is my aim. 16 would be great. 20 is beyond me I am fairly sure.

got your ice tyres?

trail_rat
    Free Member

well they are floating about in madison – my mate hasnt sent them yet

how many brake pads you taking ? im eying up a pack of 8 sintereds for bedding in over xmas.

got standard shimanos in atm – they will last 30 seconds.

that said ive never had any issues with wearing pads down at the puffer – only shit octopron pads falling apart on me.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have two bikes both on hope mono minis with hope sintered- given I almost never wear pads out I shall have new bedded in pads in each, a spare set or two and then all the old part worn ones I can find.

If we all get ice tyres I think we can guarantee it will be either dry or above freezing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

id like dry -5 please …….

twinklydave

failing that ill just have to MTFU

if i see you stopped anywhere I'll shout at you 😉

I'm just going to wrap some gaffer tape round a couple of standard bottles to help keep anything I put in them warm.

Oh and last year I hardly used any brake pads, think I changed them 3 or 4 times over the whole race – and they were never down to the metal, maybe the course is getting easier 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Twinkly – I'd call that loads of pads 😯 I'm used to pad life in thousands of miles not dozens

epicyclo

If we get a wet race like 2007 we'll see the pads disappear quickly in the mud. Won't be a problem for my drum brakes though 🙂

But let's pray for ice and snow, it's much more fun and you don't chill the way you do in zero degree soaking drizzle.

BTW I try to drink a bottle a lap. I may not be sweating but I'll be exhaling. Dehydration gives hypothermia a running start.

NZCol

I did get given a water bottle with a quadruple shot flat white in it during an adventure race, it was -5 at that point and everything was frozen solid – freewheel, brakes, shifters etc. I rode off down the road drinking my coffee – god it was good. It was cold in about 2 minutes though !

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘warm drinks bottle for the chilly weather?’ is closed to new replies.