Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Warm and Dry Commuter-wear
  • Surfr
    Free Member

What do people wear for their commutes? I’ve got a paramo smock for the upper half but I don’t know what to wear in the pissing wet cold winter wornings on the bottom half? Man up and just wear lycra shorts? some form of waterproof legins/tights?

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Altura boil in the bag type waterproofish top (the £80 ish one, can’t remeber the model), lycra shorts with Alexa bibs over the top. I used to have Lusso Repel tights whcih are very very good at repelling water (oddly enough). I also wear overshoes. All in all I look like a right gimp but it works – just suffered a 45 minute drenching on the way in this morning. The best bit of kit really is full length mudguards – but today I rode in on the mtb without as much as a crud catcher…

The office stinks like a youth hostel drying room now but luckily I don’t share…

2tyred

Mudguards are the most important bit.

In this weather I wear a merino baselayer, baggy shorts and a howies drizzler jacket (best riding jacket I’ve ever owned by miles) and just accept getting wet below the knees. I’ve got drying facilities at work so everything’s dry for the ride home.

What I’d like to find is a solution to wet feet. I use flat pedals on the commuter and have wondered if overshoes would work. Anyone do this?

miketually
    Free Member

It depends how far your commute is.

This morning I wore New Balance trainers, Aldi (not)waterproof trousers, cotton shirt with cufflinks, Aldo merino jumper, Endura Laser waterproof jacket, planetX gloves, retro roadie cap and my helmet. Proper trousers were in my bag and shoes were under my desk. On dry days, I wear my normal trousers.

I only ride 2 or 3 miles to work though.

Surfr
    Free Member

I’ve got between 5 and 10 miles with hills. National Speed Limit roads or unclassified muddy wet roads / cycle routes. I’ve just ordered some cheapo 3/4 mudguards from ebay for 8 quid inc postage, so that should help.

Leaving shoes at work is a good way to save a few grams from the backpack weight. I’ll use that.

Work clothes are shirt, cuff links, trousers, belt, socks and pants which should not take up too much space in a small rucksack when rolled together.

I’ll use a Paramo smock for the top half and a North Face fleece balaclava for the really cold days. It’s just the lower half, I need to make plans for. Bib tights is one idea. Overtrousers too heavy/hot? This sort of thing: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=1099

mrmo
    Free Member

i have a 14 mile mixed road, urban, rural, A roads, lanes, etc.

Most important kit lights and mudguards.

To wear, Assos airblock jacket over a merino base layer or on its own, then Mille shorts with knee warmers, thin tights or thick tights, depending on how warm or cold it is going to be.

Also Overshoes to keep feet warm and shoes clean.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Gore fusuon jacket on the top and gore waterproof shorts over lycra bibs and knee warmers. Only wear longs if it’s really cold, like -5ish. Also use full guards but the waterproof shorts are the best thing I’ve bought for this winter.

simon_g

Mudguards plus RainLegs. The latter are like waterproof trousers but they only cover the tops of your legs (which is the only bit that gets wet if you’ve got mudguards). So none of the flapping or claminess of full waterproof trousers.

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

Top – Aldi longsleeve bike top under a Singletrack shortsleeve, and old/2nd hand RaceFace Aquanot jacket.

Bottom – Polaris 3-Quartz leggings (warm!) under Endura Humvee shorts.

Gloves – Endura Strike (toasty).

Shoes Skate shoes, with toasty Asda socks.

Wore a Buff type thing last week during the colder spells.
    ===
    Been trying on Endura Stealth and Gore Cosmo Plus softshells too…

Prob buy one of those by next week…

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Looks like I’ll be testing that advice out again soon, it’s now snowing and very wet… ho hum.

Surfr
    Free Member

Hehe. I’ve picked a great time to start commuting. They’re forcasting a month of that new-years frosty cold weather now.

I’ve taken a punt on a pair of Altura Dryline waterproof shorts on eBay for 15 quid. Seemed a bargain. I might add some bib tights now if I can find some bargain ones somewhere.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Warm and Dry Commuter-wear’ is closed to new replies.