• This topic has 48 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by zokes.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Warhammer 40K
  • Daffy

finbar – Member
    I don’t play but I am pretty obsessed with the novels, especially anything by Dan Abnett.

POSTED 19 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Agreed. I have neither the time nor money for the game any more, but thoroughly enjoy the books.

I have two armies from my teens:

An elder Jet Bike army (70+ jet bikes, vipers and Falcon grab tanks)

And a Night Lords / Alpha Legion chaos army. Tanks, terminators, a Golden daemon runner-up dreadnaught. All metal, none of this plastic rubbish.

The jet bikes are mostly plastic.

Battle fleet Gothic for the win!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I got back in to it a couple of years ago, a few friends had been back in to it a bit longer and had a big gaming weekend a few times a year which usually invoked a keg of ale and a good laugh. One of my mates is a ridiculously good painter and has had several of his armies featured in White Dwarf and on show at Warhammer world.

I find the painting is a good winter activity when it’s cold and wet. It’s quite stress relieving (provides you don’t make painting a chore and get worked up when it doesn’t go well) as its hard to think about other rubbish when you are concentrating on painting, I usually stick some background noise on, a film or a series I have seen before or an audiobook that I can just listen to without need to watch and just crack on with the brush.

The level of detail on the new plastic models is ridiculous. Direct from GW they are expensive but there are plenty of third party retailers doing 15-25% off retail. Old lead / white metal miniatures have character but I think a bit more of a pain to paint. They will be some plastic bargains from 7th edition 40k on eBay at present as the yoof off load it to buy the ‘latest and greatest’ 8th Ed. stuff. Also those who do the ‘each new edition rage quit before getting sucked back in’ offload. Also if you want Forgeworld stuff there are a LOT of fake recasts on eBay some poor quality. Though there are some Chinese recasters who some how manage to make stuff that’s almost better quality than the originals…

My current project is re-creating my army of youth – a early 90’s Marauder Dwarf army.

If anyone has any old metal – particularly Dwarfs, Skaven, orcs & goblins or wood elves then let me know, I’ll take it off your hands without the hassle of dealing with the unscrupulous miniature dealers that seem to be rife on eBay!

@Redsox – I have a couple of unbuilt knights (unboxed) for £50esch if you change your mind. I built a four knight army for a tournament earlier this year – it was good to have a goal to aim to have stuff built / painted by:

The one good thing about being an ‘adult’ is that I can now afford, or at least just buy, the cool models I couldn’t when I was a kid 20 years ago!

durhambiker
    Free Member

Yup I generally buy from Element Games in Stockport as they’re local, and they tend to be 20-25% cheaper than GW direct. Occasionally make a purchase from a GW store but only on the rare occasion I can manage to browse without the attempted hard sell. Went in with £100 burning a hole in my pocket yesterday and the guy managed to put me off spending it. Might send some of it Forgeworld’s way and order the new stuff for the Chaos Renegades Blood Bowl team…

Kit
    Free Member

No one play Necromunda? Much preferred it to 40k at the time. You could play it in a smaller space, in less time, and your squad picked up experience points to boost skills.

I think the last rule change to 40k I bothered to pick up a rule book for was in 1998(?) when it moved to smaller armies/faster playing. Played one game with those rules in GW in Edinburgh and never since. Got a 10,000pt Ultramarine army gathering dust in our attic!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Apparently there is s new version of Necromunda coming out next year.

There’s been an interim version call Shadow Wars which is similar and good fun for a quick game.

Northwind

I’ve just reconciled myself to the fact I need to buy Necromunda: Underhive when it comes out. Might never play it, don’t care, Necromunda was amazing. The new flat box set is dull compared to the old 3D set though

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

@wysiwyg let me know what metal you have as I might be interested cheers.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Eldar Farseer OOP unpainted
    10 striking scorpions OOP unpainted inc exarch
    6 Howling banshees unpainted inc exarch
    then the warlocks and the reapers on the previous page.

zokes
    Free Member

Y’know, this thread might actually be the impetus required to finally go through my stuff in my parents’ loft next time I’m in the UK. My dads only been on about it for the past ten years!

Given the number of Epic Titans I know I had, there’s probably well over 100,000 points of assorted sides up there somewhere.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Warhammer 40K’ is closed to new replies.