Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • wanted routes south west Scotland
  • righty
    Free Member

planning a 3 day trip there on friday, does anyone have some links to printable routes, I have the seven stanes already and was wanting some interesting all day rides, thanks

Smee
    Free Member

which part of SW scotland?

righty
    Free Member

I was thinking to the west of Ae, but open to ideas

BoardinBob
    Trekster

OS78 is all you need.

Fair number of options

Have you got it? Could either post me one or I can get you one, mark it up and leave at where you are staying or pick up at lbs??
    OR…Have an easy ride Fri. I could meet and show you whats what Fri evening after work,7ish??

Mail me

All hill routes around here will be wet and have some snow left on them.

Stuff on the Lowthers is best. Possibly include a trip round Drumlanrigg, out towards Sanqhuar via Auchentaggart Moor(farm). Pick up Southern Upland Way over to Wanlockhead. Then up to the radar station(take the road!!)Do not follow SupW. Take the path(???)down Enterkin Burn to Durisdeer and back to Drum. Well good day out. eeling fit and got time, add on the Roman Rd into Durusdeer. Mind the sheep!!!

Various other options out of Durisdeer. There are tracks on the hills not marked on the map and a fair bit of push`n carry is required, but rewarded with some good downhills and views

Working night shift over weekend or would have offered my services.
    Pics from last summer, 2 Belgian visitors.

righty
    Free Member

I have got all the uk in memory map on my phone, but prefer the conveinience of printed maps to be honest.Thanks for the offer of meeting up trekster but there are a few of us going so maybe difficult to get everyones agreement on where exactly we will be going.
    cheers for your link too Bob, lots of ideas so far, anymore ?
    I did think the snow may have thawed by now- has it?

So I supposed all weather routes are preferable to a snow/slush/bog fest

BoardinBob

I was down here on Saturday on the bike and there was no snow to be seen at all.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=&jsv=145d&sll=55.191412,-4.029236&sspn=0.653784,1.757813&ie=UTF8&geocode=FZfsSgMdZJy7_w&split=0

I think the SW escaped the worst of the snow and ice of the last few weeks so you should be ok.

righty
    Free Member

Bob of the routes you sent me which would be the least boggy and mountainous with minimum of walking all day type rides? if you can remember 😀

BoardinBob

Hard to say. Even the route I did on Saturday required a fair bit of pushing on the climbs as the ground was so soft, although the trail was loose sand rather than wet mud.

Trekster

righty was just looking for an excuse to get out for a pint 😆

can`t see the hills today too overcast

try using OS getamap

google border tv for a weather report usually pretty acurate

bob

only seeing the sw as a whole map

where were you riding?

not used any punctuation marks due to txt disappearing

Trekster
    BoardinBob

bob

only seeing the sw as a whole map

where were you riding?

I was messing about on this loop.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Loch-Bradan-Loop

Did a few wee circuits. It’s a little known, purpose built bike trail around the loch. Not a great deal of climbing but the trail surface is pretty rough and requires full concentration.

there’s also an option on the east side of the loch to head over to Loch finlas and loch doon on a pretty testing track with a fair bit of climbing but as the hils were completely covered in cloud and I was on my own I didn’t fancy it in case I came a cropper!

Trekster

ah yes

some of the stuff mate and I tried years ago but not on the every day recommended list or for the faint hearted!

righty
    Free Member

cheers for the map and weather links trekster, looks like its going to be wet,windy and cold juat how i like it :mrgreen:

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bob, where are you from? I’m in prestwick, but never considered bradan, but it’s pretty local. if it’s any good I may head up there on sunday.

BoardinBob

Kilmarnock originally but now reside in Glasgow.

Bradan’s not bad and there’s a load of trails roundabout to explore to.

righty
    Free Member

just wanted to say thanks for all the routes, plenty left for when we go next time :mrgreen:

Trekster

where did you go?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bob, rode the track over to loch doon last week, very good, could do with bedding in a bit, but pretty entertaining all the same. Bought myself a wee telescopic fishing rod, gonna, ahem, ‘explore’ the local wee lochs around this way.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘wanted routes south west Scotland’ is closed to new replies.