Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wanted – freelance print designer/artworker
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We are looking for a freelance print designer/artworker – initially to provide some holiday cover, but could lead to more work as we have lots of work on at the moment. Must be 100% onfident with design for print up to artwork standard and fully understand the difference between cmyk and spot colours, know printer’s pairs and trim. Must know InDesign CS3 or 4 outside in as well as the usual others – Illustrator/Photoshop etc.

Preferably in the Harrogate area as we would prefer someone who can work from our office (I know there are one or two of you that are) but as long as you have an internet connection and access to the kit you need in the daytime (can’t deal with people doing it on the side at night) then location isn’t too much of an issue.

Mail me at m.danford(at)mixd.co.uk with examples of work/CV.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

BUMP!

Avocado
    Free Member

Sorry for hijack fanylion, but I’ve just switched a major annual project from Quark to InDesign. Can you answer a very simple question?

When one imports images into Quark, there’s a preview of the image in the dialogue box regardless of the format.

With InDesign, it won’t show a preview of EPS files created in Illustrator which is proving to be a real ballache (CS2/OSX10.4.8).

Is there any way of changing the prefs so it shows previews?

BTW, I’ve had 3 enquiries for work this week, I’ll pass on your email address if any sound suitable.

Cheers…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is this the dialogue box you get when you are wanting to chose an image to place into the document? As in the OS dialogue box?

If it is then it views as an image (if a Photoshop .eps). If an Illustrator one then it doesn’t.

Or do you mean the image when it is actually placed into the document? Which is Views > Display Performance > High Qiality

Avocado
    Free Member

Yep, just in the dialogue box. It just shows an Illustrator file icon and the file’s name – a right royal PITA when I’m importing eps files from a folder that contains dozens of logos, all of which have exactly the same file name followed by a code number!!!

Come back Quark, all is forgiven. Only reason I’ve switched on this project is because client wants translucent coloured text boxes floating over background photos.

Quite a fundamental flaw if you ask me. Thanks anyway…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not so much of a fundamental flaw as not being able to handle transparancies over images in this day and age if you ask me ;-).

If it were me, I would import every logo (I assume you need them all as they are all in your work folder) then arrange them on page.

Avocado
    Free Member

I believe it’s been addressed on CS4, can’t believe it took 3 updates before someone decided to do something about it.

I agree about Quark’s transparancy shortcomings. Not had a look at the latest version but I’m sure they’ll have to incorporate it or be left behind.

Anyway, limitations and flaws are 2 very different things. For example, I have limitations… 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

mrs deadly’s a freelance graphic designer who works during the day m_f…apparently there’s these tings called CS3 down there on yonder dock which I see her using quite a bit. We’re in Bristol but she does loads of work over t’web for others. Don’t think any of what you describe is outside her scope…shall I get her to get in touch with you? By working during the day, I mean she works from home during the day, (sometimes does agency work on site, but not every day of every week)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sure Darcy – get her to drop me a mail at addy as above.

🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Wanted – freelance print designer/artworker’ is closed to new replies.