Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Want to shed weight off my blur trc! Advice on lightest parts out there please
  • swalsh
    Free Member

Hi guys,
    I’ve Had my blur trc for a year and rather than get a new bike I’ve decided to spend a load on it and make it as light as I can get it. Never been one for this sort of thing but its already really light and ive become slightly obsessed by it! Obviously it’s an aggressive trail bike so parts need to be strong. It’s currently set up with xtr cranks but I want to go carbon. I need advice for a good wheel set (poss carbon), brakes, tyres and any other handy tips for shedding weight. Slightly counter productive but I’ve also bought a reverb so want to at least counter the weight of that!
    Cheers

br
    Free Member

you need to write up the spec, otherwise we’re just guessing…

Anthony
    Free Member

As a general rule of thumb on a complete overhaul, you’ll average around 1g saved per £1 spent.

There are exceptions, but as an average, on a decent spec to start with, its a fairly accurate model over the sum of all the parts you change.

It’s very similar to bikepacking gear in fact.

shortcut

So… What kit do you have. And how much does it currently weigh.

You can save a bundle by ditching the reverb. Specialized carbon rovals will save a bit probably, run tubeless, expensive carbon everything should help. Back in the 70’s people saved weight by drilling holes in components – but this is quite dangerous so you probably shouldn’t!!

swalsh
    Free Member

Hope hoops on dt Swiss 5.1
    Xtr cranks
    X0 rear mech and shifters
    Xt front mech (but considering going 1×10)
    Avid elixir CR brakes
    Maxxis high rollers
    Easton ec70 post (now a reverb)
    Rock shox reba rlt 120mm qr forks
    X0 cassette
    Thomson stem
    Unbranded carbon bars (not that light)
    Thing those are the main things I think?

I think the 1gram per pound might be pretty accurate, as I’ve found some carbon wheels that would save me 500 grams for 550 quid over on pink bike.

I also realised how useless my starting post was! I’m looking to go 140 with a bolt through axle on the front (thinking fox 32 kashima 15QR) as well so I’m looking to stiffen it up and lighten it at the same time. I’m more than happy buying second hand, and I’ve seen a couple of things on here such as some race face next sl carbon cranks that look pretty decent. I’m just looking to upgrade the bike in general from it’s current spec and the lighter the better!

Thanks in advance!

sambob
    Free Member

Wheels are pretty heavy. If budget is an issue Pro2 on Crest run tubeless are still going to be a significant weight saving, other hubs are probably a bit lighter though. Soecialized tyres are lightish, and tubeless compatible, but might be a bit thin if you ride rocky stuff.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Have a look on the Mtbr santa cruz forum. Plenty of TRC’s to draw some inspiration from.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/blur-trc-pictures-734645.html

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Tyres! Cheapest and biggest weight saving there.

Get a set of light hubs on stans 355 or crest, use some light tyres and youll notice a massive difference instantly.

Stem and bars for ritchey superlogic or similar.

ruscle
    Free Member

Light bicycle wider carbon rims laced to your choice of hubs with sapim clary spokes. Rims are good and very light and only cost £220 for the pair. Any Easton carbon bar. I-beam seat post and saddle will save a load of weight. ESI foam grips, they are very good and don’t budge once on. Ti bolts all over apart from shifter and brake mounts where you want to use alloy bolts. The one disc brakes. SRAM XX cassette. Single bolt seat collar.

swalsh
    Free Member

My regular riding isn’t that rocky, apart from the occasional trip to north Wales but I could always swap on some fatter tyres for that. I think the wheels and tyres is where I can save most of the weight and I think will make a positive impact too- should be able to get off the Mark quicker! Budget isn’t a huge issue but I’m not looking to spend thousands!

Russell96

Depending on your current saddle you could save 100-200g just there

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php

Stevelol
    Free Member

Go 1×10, I have had this setup for a while and recently got a TRc, the frame is so light you really don’t need a granny ring to get it up stuff, I’m climbing my usual routes in one cog smaller on the cassette now.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Well I expect with a change in wheels/tyres you will save over 1.5kg.

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t waste money on your cranks, XTR are among the lightest, you’ll spend £400+ for a 50g saving.

If you’re throwing that much money at it though, why not go for XX1? DT240 hubs on Crest or Alpine rims (carbon is rarely lighter, save the money for elsewhere), with Revolutions.

Saddle, stem, bar, few alu bolts (don’t bother with ti), as they’re pence.

If you’re not riding rocks get some 2.25″ Rocket Rons.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Want to shed weight off my blur trc! Advice on lightest parts out there please’ is closed to new replies.