Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Want to run MemoryMap whilst riding
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

What is the cheapest option?

My Lg phone is Windows based but annoyingly will not connect with activ sync to allow me to put memory map pocket navigator on to it.

What phones are windows based and have GPS built in?

easygirl

cheapest way would be to but a mitac mio p330, with memory map installed
    £100 from me second hand, but in perfect condition, with box etc, and tom tom installed!

MrAgreeable

Get a second hand pocket PC and a GPS flash card or bluetooth receiver. Better battery life than a phone and should be doable for under a ton.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrAgreeable

There you go! ^^^

stevehine

What version of windows Mobile does it run ? Check the config for the usb connection and see if it is configured for Mass Storage instead of ActiveSync – I have to remember to swap mine depending on where I'm using it

You can also install apps on WM phones by copying the cab files across and then selecting them on the phone; possibly a way of doing it ?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

if i try to run a cab file it gives me an error message, its win mobile 6.1

LG gt500
    http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=1946&c=lg_gt500___gt505

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Options for USB are:
    Mass storage
    PC suite (which i guess is like activ sync)
    and music sync

stevehine

what's the error message ? Is it definately a cab file for the right version of WM ? (Not trying to be patronising)

stevehine

Hmm – from what I can see it runs Windows Office Mobile 6.1 under whatever OS LG use for their phones rather than being a true Windows Mobile 6.1 device

racing_ralph
    Free Member

so "for that reason – i'm out"?

Riofer
    Free Member

Buy a navigo sat nav from ebuyer for about £45, hack it to get the Windows CE operating system and then install MM Pocket PC to it. I've got all the web links and instructions etc at home from when I did it last year.

stevehine

Not necessarily 🙂 – Point your phone at http://www.bbtracker.org/wiki/Download and see if you can download and install the latest version; if so you can try other Java based GPS progs that do similar / the same as MemoryMap. bbTracker is just a simple piece of logging software; other free java GPS stuff will allow you to upload maps and create routes to follow

racing_ralph
    Free Member

java apps work so will give it a go 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

My Lg phone is Windows based but annoyingly will not connect with activ sync to allow me to put memory map pocket navigator on to it.

You don't have a lot of luck connecting devices to your PC do you?

Pieface

This is not a troll, but I think maps on a handheld device what be a PITA as you can only view a couple of grid squares at a time. If I'm going somewhere I'm unfamiliar with I like to take a whole map so you can see what 'those mountains / lakes' over there are and so on. I also like a collection of maps on the shelf.

You still discovering new trails in the peak?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

not at all 🙁

Riofer – Member

Buy a navigo sat nav from ebuyer for about £45, hack it to get the Windows CE operating system and then install MM Pocket PC to it. I've got all the web links and instructions etc at home from when I did it last year.

Hmm got a garmin nuvi for the car – wonders if it would work 😉

racing_ralph
    Free Member

You still discovering new trails in the peak?

trying – there are loads of off piste bits between glossop and ladybower that look ace on the map that must be worth walking to to check out

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Hacking a satnav is a bit of a pain plus the battery is poor as its designed to be plugged in to the cig lighter. I think the 2nd hand ebay route is better. I've done it with an MDA Compact III. Having maps on the small screen is much more useful than you'd think, especially if you've got a rough idea of the area anyway. you can always take the map too. Battery doesn't seem to be a problem and mines been pretty durable unprotected in a pocket despite getting wet.

Make sure you get something pre WM6.1 though. Memory map has file size issues with 6.1 and above.

Pieface

Where were you thinking of?

FWIW anything off Kinder is a no-no as you'll either be carrying / pushing the bike (with a couple of exceptions) and Mr Red Socks will not be too heppy.

Riofer
    Free Member

Pieface, Mr Redsocks doesn't tend to be out at 4am

Riofer
    Free Member

I agree the Satnav battery life isn't great but you can buy piggyback battery packs to extend it. I use it as a back up for navigation rather than a on the bars route guide. If you get a bit lost or want to explore a new track you can zoom in out and scroll from your current location to see where trails might lead.

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

Riofer.

Interested to know more about the "piggy-back" batteries for the Navigo. Please.

CC.

Riofer
    Free Member

CC – I'll try and find a link for you

superlukey
    Free Member

Hi,

I have Memory Map installed on an Acer N35. Works a treat! Super stable and is fine with OS25 or OS50. You can normally get an N35 on Fleabay for approx £25-35. Battery life is normally around the 4 hour mark. However I have popped in a large battery and get about 6 hours. I always have it on me when I'm riding as really handy for finding my way home if I want to explore a new route. Cheers.

Riofer
    Free Member

CC – http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=57468

Kensington Portable Power Pack for Mobile Devices – I bought it via Amazon, but it came from Kikatek, it's around £25

Gribs

I use memory map whilst riding with a dell axim x5 (about £20 off ebay) and a a compact flash gps card (also about £20 off ebay) and it works brilliantly. This offers a far better screen than a cheap sat nav, a couple of days battery life and it's cheaper. It's also cheap enough that I'm not to worried about breaking it either though it's been bashed around in my pack and got quite wet whilst walking and still works fine.

To the guy who questioned the use. With a decent sized sd card I could take mapping for the entire country on the unit and it's easy to zoom in and out. I've also got a garmin etrex and gps is much more useful with proper mapping.

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

Riofer.

Yay ! 😀

Thanks for that, I thought you'd given up on me.

Really appreciate the link and info.

Thank you very much.

😉

Captain Crash.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Want to run MemoryMap whilst riding’ is closed to new replies.