Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Want a reception desk building…?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Its quite small and uncomplicated I thought, but just been quoted £500!

I have a drawing if anyone knows of anyone who does this kind of thing?

cheers

Keith

dooosuk
    Free Member

Ikea do small and uncomplicated, just go buy one from there.

tjagain

Bespoke carpentry is expensive. A skilled tradesmans time will be around £200 a day and it will take a lot longer than you think. Sounds about right to me. Of course I could knock one up for you in half a day with £50 of materials but it would be rubbish

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Ikea do small and uncomplicated, just go buy one from there.

I’ve looked at other options, unfortunately Ikea’s they are ugly and too big.

jairaj

Depends on the design but I would have thought even a simple bespoke design would be a couple days work. So £500 for 2 days skilled work sounds reasonable to me.

z1ppy

I do believe this thread is done, MOD’s please close it.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

boom 400 and I kinda know him…

Gary_M
    Free Member

So you mean building a custom piece of furniture from a plan? £500 doesn’t seem too much for that.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

So you mean building a custom piece of furniture from a plan? £500 doesn’t seem too much for that.

um I think I know what you are trying to say…

I had no idea, not having anything built bespoke like that before, so some kindly folk have pointed out the going rate, and I thank them for that… i have been fortunate to have found someone who can do it cheaper than quoted, which was what the thread was asking for essentially.

So i have gained some knowledge as well which is great.

Gary_M
    Free Member

um I think I know what you are trying to say…

Trying to say? I though it was pretty clear.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

in fact i should have put….

I am clueless. But I do have ten minutes free to write a concise post, this will address the salient points and not upset anyone unjustly.

….

What is the hourly rate a chippy would charge for building a bespoke piece of furniture?

I have been quoted £500 for a small L-Shaped reception desk, if this is deemed reasonable by the majority here, thank you for your time and the knowledge I have gained.

If anyone would like to quote on the job, I will provide drawings for you.

Thank you so much.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Trying to say? I though it was pretty clear.

So you mean building a custom piece of furniture from a plan? £500 does seem too much for that.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Don’t think anyone is getting upset.

You’ve not said the quote includes materials, or what the desk is being built from.

Edit: You’ve lost me now.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Don’t think anyone is getting upset

I hope not.

I’ve clearly underestimated the cost of such a thing.

…runs off to check he’s not making it out of marshmallows…

Stevet1
    Free Member

£500 seems cheap for a whole building, even if its just the reception desk.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Does this desk need a logo 😉

phead
    Free Member

£500?

My council spend £100,000 on a reception desk, they promptly closed the office a few months later!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Ha ha already have a logo…

Just out of interest and to keep this thread alive… here is the drawing, it’s 1200mm high, 900mm wide front face with 750mm return, with one shelf and a flush capping on top.

🙂

In fact the more I look at it I.m beginning to realise how it could take a few days. 😳

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Seems cheap to me (ex joiner here). What materials were you thinking of?

austen

You should have a chat with the guys at opendesk.cc, it’s what the cool kids are doing…

IHN

Won’t the receptionist keep whacking their shins/knees on that shelf?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I presume the shelf is at keyboard height.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Why is the shelf coming out furter than the desk at a weird angle?

kayak23

Can ask me if you like…

blackteaonesugar

But that sounds good, bearing in mind you’ve not mentioned materials etc.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

cheers.

shelf is 800mm off floor…and she’s not a receptionist, so won’t be sat at it most the time. 🙂

I thought the shelf just gave a bit more space and exposed more of the shelf to light.

Materials wise, not sure, but we don’t want it heavy and cumbersome, I thought the sides could be made out of 8/10mm foamex and attached to the framework or is that b*****x?

black tea one sugar,..nice work indeed.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I thought the sides could be made out of 8/10mm foamex

Is it a disposable reception desk?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Is it a disposable reception desk?

its quiet a low traffic area and it has to go up a flight of stairs, I really don’t have the knowledge on materials,…as demonstrated. 8)

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve just been quoted £1000 to make a 1.2m wide recess in a bedroom into a wardrobe (i.e. putting a frame around the opening and having a pair of doors made to fit (priced them up at £250 for the pair online).
    I’m in the wrong business!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

You’ll need a lowered section of it for wheelchair users at least 1500mm wide, with its surface no higher than 760mm with a knee recess, not less than 700mm above floor level. If you are bothered about that kind of thing!

cpon
    Free Member

What is the hourly rate a chippy would charge for building a bespoke piece of furniture?

Hourly rate = Labour + heating + lighting + tools + materials + tax + spending time working quoting for the job

Give the guy £500, it’s a fair price and get what you want. Better than £500 going in Ikea’s direction.

maccruiskeen

You’ll need a lowered section of it for wheelchair users at least 1500mm wide, with its surface no higher than 760mm with a knee recess, not less than 700mm above floor level. If you are bothered about that kind of thing!

Turns out you need a designer as well as a joiner 😆

What service is your business offering? I’m going to guess it’s not interior design, ergonomics, quantity surveying, engineering or figuring out how to get large objects up stairs

😀

choppersquad
    Free Member

I would have thought the minimum you’d need would be 9mm mdf but that’d still be flexy. Laminated ply or 18mm mdf would be better.
    But what do I know?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Want a reception desk building…?’ is closed to new replies.