Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Walna Scar Road
  • johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Thinking of doing Walna Scar Road West to East next weekend. How long would it take approximately from Seathwaite Bridge to Coniston and is it all rideable?
    It looks to be about 6 miles in total with the trickiest bit half way over by the disused quarry.
    Pics would be good if anyone has taken any along the road.

boxelder

Mostly rideable, but not for most near the bottom and need to be strong to keep going to the top (from memory). 1 to 1.5 hours?.

nach
    Free Member

We did it the same way last summer, and had to push for some of the up, but that way is definitely the most fun. Our time for Seathwaite to Torver was one hour fifty, and we weren’t rushing, so probably budget just over two hours.

mtbguiding
    Free Member

You’ll probably push some of the up but the down’s 100% rideable and I agree with the guy above who says it’ll take around 1hr – fast – to 1.5 hrs – steady! Have fun

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

That’s good info thanks. Did a Google image search on the road, looks to be pretty wide rocky bridleway a bit like Peaks Roman Road from Hope Cross.

martinhutch

I found the way up from Seathwaite Bridge a lot more push than ride, particularly on the bottom section. Admittedly this was after a lot of climbing earlier in the day, but even fresh, it would take a big effort to keep going on some of it.

EDIT. It is a lot harder and more sustained than Roman Road from Hope. You can’t just sit and spin on it.

nach
    Free Member

Yeah, even the rideable bits are quite steep and long. Down is loose and rocky with some wide switchbacks.

If you fancy a loop back to Seathwaite, there’s a strava segment named “Last one down buys the round!”; incredible loose rocky descent, and was a great finish to our ride.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Took another look and got the postcode for the digs where we are setting off from and have found a bridleway loop from there heading West past Devoke Water then looping back Eastbound on the bridleway via Waberthwaite Fell and Whitfell. That bit over the fell looks to be a challenge – anyone done it?

boxelder

Past Devoke is OK, but has some very wet sections. The Waberthwaite bits I’ve not done, but don’t underestimate how long these can take and I’d guess it will be indistinct and tussocky grass. never heard locals talk of it.
    Better to try to work in the trails through Broughton Moor forestry and Stephenson Ground to the Duddon valley. Coming off Walna to Coniston, turn right down through the quarries past Tranearth, to Torver (Wilson Arms for mid ride refreshment). From there along the road, up the steeep road and into the forest. Climb up along the forest road following the true left bank of the River Lickle, cross the river/beck and ride the lovely singletrack down the right bank of the river. Continue to Stephenson Ground, Carter Ground, Stainton Ground to Kiln Bank and down the BW down to Seathwaite (good pub). Start/finish in Seathwaite would be a good plan.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Boxelder, that is very helpful and isnt far off a couple of routes we have as options. I think we might just have to bite the bullet and accept a small amount of tarmac from the digs and do something in the area you suggest.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Walna Scar Road’ is closed to new replies.