Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Wally's walking in middle of road – what would you have done?
  • cinnamon_girl

OK, picture the scene. Widow on stealth weapon descending quickly on tarmac into pretty little chalkstream hamlet. Three wally's – early 20's, tight white t-shirts, I'm so cool – strutting in road 3 abreast and made no attempt to let me through/move aside.

One then had the audacity to make a smart-ar$e comment, I duly replied. Probably not what he wanted to hear.

So … I came very close to riding into one of them. Could have been painful … for him.

What would you have done?

druidh
    Free Member

Don't run into people who are clearly visible?

You bluddy cyclists think you own the road.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

As close as you can get to them and at full chat. Sh!t'em right up. Soon cures the hard man image thing.

allthepies
    Free Member

Flash 'em your tats and let them know you mean business ?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

They weren't Wally he wears a red and white stripy jumper with a matching bobble hat.

Look there he is, behind the telephone box.

westkipper
    Free Member

If you really have to run folk down in the road, dont, whatever you do, do it on a bike, do it in a car.
    That way you just say "oh!, there was nothing I could do, I didn't see them" and you'll get away with it 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tricky. No point causing an accident and I suspect some loons would give you some aggro (to a male at least) or more – in fact I was assaulted recently in similar circumstances.

cinnamon_girl

Well, it wasn't obvious I was a woman. No Kylie shorts for me today, just head-to-toe black with full body cover.

I could have been a bloke, I could have decked them. Apparently mountain bikers have been known to thump people.

Jeez, they were no hard men. Probably couldn't get the skin off a rice pudding. 🙄

soobalias
    Free Member

you were riding a mountain bike on the road

🙁

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for replies, it's good to have a chuckle. 😉

OK, I'll 'fess up. I was in the zone, heading for some fun singletrack. 8)

My language was shocking. 😳

Garry_Lager

Tricky. No point causing an accident and I suspect some loons would give you some aggro (to a male at least) or more – in fact I was assaulted recently in similar circumstances.

Was that in Edinburgh Al? Whereabouts?

james
    Free Member

Maybe start sprinting out the saddle toward them?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jocks Lofge Garry. Actually a few years ago and nothing serious just a few stitches…

sc-xc

Garry_Lager

Don't know that area too well. I got done on the North Edinburgh cycle path a while back, through Drylaw. Got away without anything serious happening. There's some Neds about, for sure.

genghispod
    Free Member

Shout 'DING DING' and then aim full pelt at the middle one! If you're good with your feet you could take out the other two on the way past.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aye have heard of a few there. I avoid cyclepaths…no escape routes

Talkemada
    Free Member

Captive bolt gun. Have you seen 'No Country For Old Men'?

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Sounds like all 4 egos involved need to be brought down a peg or two

chewkw
    Free Member

If you drive a big foot 4×4 then just squash them like pate. 😈

Pembo
    Free Member

Another Sunday, another walkers are w@nkers post. Except of course for the 2 scottish ladies who held the gate open for me going up vomit hill yesterday and engaged in some good banter as I was struggling along.

cinnamon_girl

They thought they were being "clever/cool" by continuing to amble in the road thereby making it awkward for me to get through. As mentioned, I had been descending at speed and was looking forward to some singletrack.

It could have been nasty …

Penrod Pooch – there were 3 of them so 3 egos.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

woosh

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

Aye have heard of a few there. I avoid cyclepaths…no escape routes

Grow a pair FFS – I use them all the time and no troubles. North edinburgh cycle path is fine

eldridge
    Free Member

Widow on stealth weapon

You are solipsistically romanticising yourself

You are not a widow

Your bicycle is not a stealth weapon

You are a person wearing black clothes riding a bicycle

And you have to share public roads, bridleays and byways with other people

samuri
    Free Member

"I'm coming through!" seems to work well. People who don't move get hurt, they learn quite quickly I've found.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You are a person wearing black clothes riding a bicycle

Yeah……….who just happens to look like The Black Widow on her stealth weapon.
    I don't see the need for the "you are solipsistically romanticising" bollox

Mind you, I'm not sure about the "I could have been a bloke" comment
    ……..I've never seen a geezer with hair like C_G 😕

💡 Have you had it cut ?

Kevevs
    Free Member

get over yourself, use yer brakes, carry on. no big deal is it?

eldridge
    Free Member

What "Black Widow" on what "Stealth Weapon"? Is this some Vin Diesel-style low budget sci-fi I've somehow missed? Or some NightWish Scandinavian Norse-rock bollox that no-one has heard of?

Solipsistic means assuming your are the only person who matters in the world

Romanticising means making yourself sound more important than you are

Calling some bird on a bike wearing black clothes who wants other people to get out of her way a "widow on a stealth weapon" is true bollx

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

OK agreed………….The Widow Maker out on her stealth weapon, would probably have sounded better.

cinnamon_girl

eldridge – have we met? You have summed me up beautifully except … my habit of self-deprecation. 😉

Gus – yep, still have the untamed hair and, no, it's not been cut. 8)

I can only dream of being a riding goddess. 🙄

Nick

people are dick-heads shocker

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I would have just screamed, clicked into top gear, got out of the saddle and gunned it – AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But then I'm big and ugly and do this on a regualr basis anyway. 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

Not much you can do really apart from move over, winds me up to. Was on the road bike Saturday and people 3 abreast coming towards me didn't move so I had the option of braking or moving to the wrong side of the road approaching a blind bend. I chose the latter in the knowledge I'd have haunted the f**kers if a car had squished me. To be fair most of the others I met in similar circumstances made a token effort to move over, some even smiled.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Just shout no brakes, never fails!

J

DezB
    Free Member

Happened to me once on a lunchtime roadie spin. Going past a college, bunch of about 10 students (in student mode) walked out into the road, I shouted "I'm not stopping!" (might've been "I'm not F*&ING stopping!" can't remember). I almost did stop, but only when the doziest one was putting his hands out to protect himself from my on-coming handlebars. He did have a jolly surprised look on his face, despite my shout. The rest of them just laughed at him. Those that had actually noticed something occurring anyway.

[Paul Calf] F&(*ing students [/Paul Calf]

Talkemada
    Free Member

DezB, earlier:

'Kin students; using a chequebook to buy a kebab…

TerryWrist
    Free Member

"move because I'm not stopping"Great idea.

cinnamon_girl

I shouted "pi** off". Ladylike huh? 🙄

Loving the tags, who's numbers 1 and 2 then?

Guess I gotta try harder? 😉

myheadsashed

No Kylie shorts for me today, just head-to-toe black with full body cover……………………………mmmmmmmcatwoman 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Wally's walking in middle of road – what would you have done?’ is closed to new replies.