Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Wallets and hip problems???
  • higgo
    Free Member

Daft question maybe but bear with me…

Could my on-going niggly hip problems be due to spending my working life sat with my wallet under my right @rse cheek?

It’s full of ‘stuff’ by the way, not wads of cash.

How do other blokes wear/carry their wallet?

brant
    Free Member

My terminal “i’ve got arthritis” wrist ache was due to me using my phone too much!

Try it!

bruneep

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    redx

Think so. Really noticed it when I had my wallet stolen so didn’t have anything in my back pocket. I now tend to keep my wallet in my jacket pocket when sitting down and only put it in my back pocket when standing up…….

MrOvershoot

Actually there is a sort of connection here!

Hig’s I used to have all manner of stuff rammed in my pockets and was forever loosing stuff or jabbing myself with keys when I sat down so I bought one of On-Ones “man bags” well its sort of listed as a courier bag thingy but its close and now no stuff jammed in my pocket & its big enough for 3 bottles of wine if I notice Oddbins are doing a deal 😕

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Am I the only one who uses a front pocket? The roomy, don’t stab you in the arse ones? Would probably affect my back rather than hip being twisted like that. Maybe thats ‘cos I knackered my back though…

matt_outandabout

No Tracker – I use front as well, and cannot abide sitting on wallet/stuff…

uplink
    Free Member

Front pocket for me too
    A lesson learned in Barcelona 🙁

jojoA1
    Free Member

I reckon it would/could have an effect. People who have unequal length legs by only a few mm can get terrible back problems from the compensation effect, so I would imagine that sitting unevenly over many years could cause some problems.

Keva
    Free Member

it must be really uncomfortable, who the heck wants to sit with square lump one side of their arse ?

Put what you need in your pockets and chuck the rest of the rubbish away. Surely you only need a few quid to get through the day ?

Kev

iainc

yes, I used to do this and osteopath suggested I put wallet in different pocket (after giving hime most of the contents right enough…) and it made a definite improvement to back pain

beinbhan

Was told the same thing from a pyhsio as Ianc and it did make a difference

jam-bo

i can’t sit comfortably with a wallet in my back pocket. makes my back hurt within about ten minutes.

second nature now to take it out and chuck it in my desk drawer or in the centre console of the car.

higgo
    Free Member

Well I’ve had it in a front pocket all morning and the pain’s getting worse.

Maybe it’s my body re-adjusting itself, maybe it’s completely unrelated – isn’t science wonderful?

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I had a month off work last year, I had put my phone in my back pocket while carrying something and had driven home with it there.
    The next day I noticed I occassionally had to limp due to a strange pain around my hip – this went on for days gradually becoming worse until I started getting violent jolts of pain down my leg. Doctor thought I had Sciatica and advised anti-inflammitory pills – these were useless – the pain went on for a month – hardly walk without severe shocks going down my leg – very very painful.
    Could not move in bed either – sleep was constantly broken by pain.
    Then one morning I gingerly got out of bed and doing my best not to upset my leg – put a t shirt on and lost balance – I receieved a huge jolt that caused me to fall onto our bed – Mrs wanted to call an ambulance cos she actually thought I wouldnt get up — after a minute or so I moved and found my leg to be back to normal – really bizzare – it was as tho I had not had any problem at all.
    I swear that sitting on my phone had caused a nerve to trap – I never use my back pockets for anything now…

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I started getting strange hip pains and then now and again my hip/leg would just sort of collapse under me (never actually fell over). After getting really worried I might have some serious disease, I traced it back to sitting with my legs crossed while leaning across the desk towards my computer for long periods. If I did not cross my legs or alternatively did not lean forward, it all cleared up. Must have been trapping a nerve or something.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I hardly ever carry a wallet, 2 cards and some cash is all I need. That lot fits in my front pocket. What do you folks carry that you need to carry it all in a wallet?

anagallis_arvensis

http://www.hipfai.com/well I hope so for your sake, my long term groin pain was this. I had had groin pain whilst cycling for years, now cant ride 🙁

zaskar
    Free Member

Common sciatic problem causes imbalance.

I never sit on my wallet but do keep it in the back pocket in summer or jacket/suit inner pocket.

higgo
    Free Member

Don’t like the look of that Hip FAI business. Some of the symptoms seem familiar, pain in front/side of hip and lack of flexibility – it occurred to me the other day that I sometimes struggle to get my sock on my foot on that side.

Obviously website diagnosis is a dangerous thing. Hopefully a slimmed down wallt kept in a different pocket will see me sorted.

uplink
    Free Member

What do you folks carry that you need to carry it all in a wallet?

Receipts etc. some days there’s dozens of them – I also find cards can break when just in a pocket

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I get a right pain in my wallet when I have to open it…

mt
    Free Member

i find the bike shop helps reduce the possibility of wallet pocket imbalance.

repatriot
    Free Member

my old chiro in OZ told me not to put my wallet in my back pocket when sitting and not to sit with my legs crossed! not sure about crossed legs but not having my wallet in rear pocket did make sense.

NZCol

Yep common to see sciatic type stuff with people who sit on things that make them skew wiff. My MTB seat had collapsed slightly on one side and it gave me wicked sciatic pain, went to my Physio who looked at me, went outside with a set square and pointed out the problem with my seat. Smug **** that he is – but he is very good hence him being the AB’s and Hurricanes physio and a top multisport racer. But the concept was the same.

aracer
    Free Member

Am I the only one who uses a front pocket?

Me too. I’ve never actually understood why people use a back pocket when a front one works fine.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Wallets and hip problems???’ is closed to new replies.