Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Wall mounted Bike Racks…
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ok, I’m having my cellar tanked at the end of the month, and need to store my bikes down there.
    As I’ts going to be used as my shed, I need to maximise space- its only 4m x 4m.
    There is a 2nd “room” that is 3m x 1m and I was hoping to use that for my bikes.
    Whats the best way of wall mounting them?
    I’m sure someone had their bikes wall mounted by the wheel, but on an angle?
    Any pics for inspiration please.. 😀

alpin
    Free Member

one of these:

M1llh0use
    Free Member

is that hanging it from the pedal?

tonyd

I’ve used something very similar to this before and it was pretty handy. Not sure how you’d get on with multiple bikes in a small space though.

zilog6128

I have one of these in my flat. Takes up most of one wall in the 2nd bedroom

It was an expensive option but worth it IMO as once it’s up you can play around with the positioning of the bikes to make best use of the space. Plus you get loads of baskets, hooks, etc which can make things look a bit untidy but I much prefer it to having things tucked away in boxes/drawers because I can see where everything is at a glance.

lucien

@alpin, nice “herbage” drying going on…..unless it’s mistletoe. Either one could get you into some trouble 😯

alpin
    Free Member

yes from the pedal. i cut some milky plexi-glass and recessed batons in the workshop and have installed them now. saves he walls getting marked by the tyres.

^^ no, not grass. i did have a plant this year,but it didn’t provide me with that much…. it is in fact a lamp shade.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Cheers all..

Bullet

I guess the main thing is to mount it securely into the wall. I had a Halfords right-angle bracket in the garage and… My Hustler fell on the car! Down to me not using big enough screws/rawlplugs really. Amazingly no damage to the car as I think it sort of slipped down as the screws pulled out slowly.

hatter

The Gear Up racks are pretty good, I used to use one of these:

They just lean against the wall and are pretty stable so long as the bike on top isn’t significantly heavier than the one underneath.

mr-bump
    Free Member

If your having your cellar tanked is it advisable to start drilling holes into the walls?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

mr bump – Member
    If your having your cellar tanked is it advisable to start drilling holes into the walls?

Good point, that’s why I’m going to have to drop some batons off the Joists.. Needs a bit of clever thinking.

scotroutes

Batten of wood on the wall.
    Cheap plastic-coated metal hooks.

Store them “top to tail” if you need to squeeze them in a bit.

These are mounted high enough to leave some room for storage boxes below.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

^^^^^^^ That looks good Colin…

wiggles
    Free Member

That pedal one looks handy (living in a flat) but is it a good idea to have a 30lb bike hanging by it’s pedal?

Genuine question, just seems like a lot of weight on a small area, but then again me stamping on the pedals is a damn sight more weight….

alpin
    Free Member

^^ that was my original concern, but the LBS has the same system with his precious objects and i’ve not noticed there being any problem with the pedal.

and as you say, the forces that go through the pedals when riding are far great than those present when hung on the wall.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Mine are wall mounted. I now have them top to tail to get closer together.

Garage by Matthewjb, on Flickr

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Wall mounted Bike Racks…’ is closed to new replies.