Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wall fixings
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m looking to mount my new Telly to the wall. Despite buying a half decent wall bracket, as usual it’s come with totally inadequate wall fixings, so I need to get some new ones. There is a gap between the plaster board and breezeblock/cinder block behind on about 5cm or so. I was thinking of going for long coach bonds with plastic plugs, but has anyone got any other experience or suggestions? The set weighs 45kg

Thanks.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d cut some 5cm spacers then use rawl plugs into the breeze block. Tighten the bracket against the spacers rather than the paperboard. If you are happy to cut a bigger hole you could screw a couple of 5cm battens straight to the block.

jota180
    Free Member

I’d want to fix it to the studs but if you can’t do that then coach screws and plugs into the breeze block should be OK but use a suitable plug – something like a Fischer Universal – and plate the wall on the outside if the TV bracket doesn’t span across a couple of studs or you’ll end up pulling the screws though the plasterboard

tonyplym
    Free Member

45kg for a new TV ? – must be HUGE – 65″ are typically only around 25kg – which is still heavy, but actually no more than a shelf of books or a kitchen-wall-cabinet-full of tins. If the plasterboard is well fixed to decent studding and is in reasonable condition then some gravity toggle fixings from someone like Fischer Fixings should do the job.

spooky_b329

Spacers seconded. I fixed some relatively light shelves to the wall through dot and dab’d plasterboard, and one of the lower brackets started to compress through the plasterboard.

russ295
    Free Member

Drill a 7.5 mm hole. 100mm deep. Brown wall plug and a few 100mm screws.
    Job done.
    If your worried about the plasterboard caving in at the bottom stick some expanding fix and foam through the holes in the plasterboard before drilling the blocks. Let it go off for a hour then bash on.

jim25
    wobbliscott
    Free Member

Thanks all. Spent a good hour or so in B&Q today having a look at options. I don’t fancy using a system that transmits any of the the weight to the plasterboard. Its a heavy TV because its a Plasma screen, so much heavier than an LCD/LED TV of the same screen size.

I have been looking at door/window frame fixings as the long plastic plugs will surround the bolt as it goes through the plasterboard, but not sure how good these things are in terms of the pulling force they can withstand as when used with windows and doors they’re not really taking any force, just holding the window frames in place. I know the TV will be pulling on the screws in shear rather than trying to pull them out of the wall, but there will be a pulling component to some extent. I’d also use 6 instead of 4.

The only other system I saw that I think would be overkill, but i’d rather than have that and piece of mind is the resin stud system – so you drill a large hole in the wall, fill it with a resin/mortor mix, insert a huge stud, wait for it to go off and harden then attach the bracket to the studs sticking out of the wall. Anyone had any experience of this system? Cheers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wall fixings’ is closed to new replies.