Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Wall anchor into thermalite blocks?
  • prezet
    Free Member

Has anyone done this successfully? I’ve seen a few recommendations to use chemical resin like Vinylester, but wondering if there was a better way …

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh I’ve used them in my garage for lots of things. Trying to drill a nice clean hole isn’t easy but the anchors are solid once in.

prezet
    Free Member

@Gary_M did you just use regular expanding bolts?

windydave13
    Free Member

Resin all the way. No expansion force so the block won’t crack

nickdavies

I’ve got a few anchors in my garage, just regular expanding metal ones. Hold fine, there not coming off in a hurry. IME you need the good metal expanders cos the holes end up being oversized, regular plugs not as secure.

Just put them in the right way round… 😳

matt_outandabout

Resin + 2

Fischer do them.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yes just regular ones prezet. They work perfectly fine. What are you putting on the wall?

jsync

Google rigifix

prezet
    Free Member

I want to put a wall anchor in to chain my vertically hung bike to. But it’s a new build house and the walls in the garage are thermolite blocks with a plasterboard skin.

If I went the resin route, would I drill the hole, fill with resin and then what do I use then?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I want to put a wall anchor in to chain my vertically hung bike to

I have almax wall anchors and 19mm almax chains hanging from mine and I could probably swing on it. It’s solid.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I had little success with the glass vial type anchors as there just didn’t seem to be enough resin in them to hold the fixing in place. I’ve got a cartridge thing at home to have another go when i get around to it.

timba
    Free Member

I’m not sure that I’d bother putting a wall anchor onto a wall that can be cut with a handsaw

bear-uk
    Free Member

My Gun safe is fitted into Thermolite blocks with Resin and Stainless threaded rod.
    Police seemed happy with that method of fixing.

tinybits
    Free Member

https://www.fischer.co.uk/-/media/fixing-systems/fiuk/service/substrate-reports/documents/thermalite_report.ashx

Is your friend here!

I also found some Fischer fixings that had 4 large flanges off the body in a screw pattern (1 turn in 75mm). I had to drill out the center of the plug width, then hammer home and they were able to compress the thermalite block sufficiently to ‘screw’ themselves in. The police deemed that acceptable on my gun safe.

prezet
    Free Member

@timba To be honest I’m just trying to stop an opportunist scrote. If someone REALLY wants to steel something they will. I’m fairly sure they wouldn’t be able to cut through the wall with a handsaw. It’s also an internal garage so they’d probably make a fair amount of noise and wake the dog 😀

timba
    Free Member

My thoughts were to use a more suitable adjacent surface, e.g. the floor. It probably wouldn’t be as neat (with a longer chain?) but more secure
    Anything that works is fine in my book 🙂

nixie

Prezet, thermolite blocks are extremely easy to cut with handsaws.

konanige

Sorry guys, Builder here, I would put the anchor in the concrete floor you’d be able to pull it out of a thermolite block with a reasonable sized lever, and fairly quietly I would imagine.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Dewalt do an aerated concrete fixing…..accredited by Thermalite……

mattbee

Earlier this week I needed to trim a Thermalite block & didn’t have a saw. I used the corner of a metal scraper and easily scored 1/3 of the way through the block across its length in 10 min or so.
    If you do go ahead, Fischer FIS-V resin, make sure you scabble our the inside of the hole & then brush out/suck the dust out with a hoover.
    Pump hole at least 1/3 full of resin, withdrawing nozzle as you go then put anchor in using a slow twist motion. You should have some resin coming out of the hole. If there’s not enough you can remove the anchor then out more in if you do it immediately.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Does anyone else’s insurance stipulate d-locks? Doesn’t say what it has to be locked to though so I was thinking of just running some security chain between ground anchors and locking to that. Bikes stored vertically are wall mounted on a stud wall so there’s nothing to lock them too otherwise.

prezet
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like using the concrete floor and a longer chain is the way to go then.

wzzzz
    Free Member

depends how far you want to go.

You could remove a thermite block or two from the wall (easy, they are soft)

insert big metal plate with anchor bolted to it.

bit of rebar and some shuttering

mix some concrete and fill the hole.

Then if they did lever the lot out of the wall, they would have bikes attached to a big heavy concrete block.

more likely they will just use your angle grinder to cut the chain…..

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

What a terrible idea for security. If I was pinching things, I’d just use a plasterboard saw and cut around the anchor and take that bit of block with me.

Yes it really is that easy.

molgrips
    Free Member

My house is thermalite. To hang small things on the wall I knock nails in. It takes one knock with the hammer.

There’s no way I’d bother with wall anchors – far too soft. You have to remember that when you are testing things for load in your garage you are being careful, because you don’t to break it. Well, scrotes DO want to break it, and when you watch videos of stuff being nicked you realise how much force you can put into something you really want to destroy.

My bikes are stored vertically, I used a longer chain and an anchor in the floor. Took me most of two battery charges to drill the hole, rather than a few of taps with a hammer.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Wall anchor into thermalite blocks?’ is closed to new replies.